The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mendacity - Consecution by Patrick G. Redford (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
It’s with great pleasure that I received two of the latest booklets written by Patrick G. Redford:

MENDACITY and CONSECUTION

Those booklets are packed with good and great ideas and tips.

Mendacity is a booklet containing various effects and some brief essays. I loved to read what George had to express in his essays and I loved some of the effects more than others. The ones I particularly liked are:

Auspicious Coincidence, which is, from the performance point of view, a very neat Any Card, Any Number effect. It may not be the final word on this kind of effects but it really comes close to that.

The Forgotten in which a playing card is forgotten by a participant. I particularly liked the bold and new way in which a common card gaff is used here. Your script and presentation must do the rest.

Naughty Bits in which an object created in the minds of your audience is revealed by the performer in a physical, concrete form. This is one is really NAUGHTY... You will get what I mean when you read it.

And of course there are some other effects as well as a cell phone effect suitable for the stage and, as I mentioned above, some essays and other reflections…

Consequence is a booklet, which takes on from where Mendacity left off… Other effects, all very workable, and some other thoughts / essays on hidden secrets and on the art of metal bending.

My preferred effects in this book are:

Eidolon, is an effect in which the spectators hallucinate a card which does NOT exist.

The Sticky Spirit is an interesting take on the Add-A-No using a sticky notes pad. Simple and clever.

Fantasy Animal Divination is a clean and impromptu divination of a thought.

But there is much, much more…

Through those booklets permeate the sense that what you are reading is the labor of love of George who, is obvious to me, is skilled as a writer, as a narrator and certainly as a performer and who is clearly able to entertain and amaze his audiences with his creations.

However, I must warn the potential readers that some of those effects, especially the ones based on basic principles that should be familiar to experienced Mentalists, require that the performer is confident in his spectators’ management skills required to convert a modus operandi into a little miracle.

Both booklets are recommended without reserve to the discriminating performer.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Where are they available and how much are each...Are these ebooks?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Mike, try here.
http://www.magic-by-george.com/

Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Thank you for the kind words, of course! Gavin is quite correct, http://www.magic-by-george.com is the place to go- simply follow the "for performers" link at the bottom of the opening page.

-Patrick G. Redford.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
I'd like to hear more about Auspicious Coincidence. How does this compare to other any card at any numbers? Anyone else tried this?
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
Great news George!

I'm ordering my own copies as I write... you're an evil genius...

Cheers,

James
James Biss
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-04-18 20:00, jimtron wrote:
I'd like to hear more about Auspicious Coincidence. How does this compare to other any card at any numbers? Anyone else tried this?

Auspicious Coincidence, my Any Card @ Any number, is something I use constantly. The cards remain boxed. Only after a card and a number are named (ANY card and ANY number may be used - no force of any kind - are the cards removed from the box - oh and get this, there are no sleights to be done when removing the cards and the cards are dumped into an audience members awaiting hands. There are no cards "accidentally" left behind in the box and there are no duplicate cards. This is a very strong piece that I use in my show. Also the script that is included with the effect is a slightly different approach to the Any Card @ Any Number plot.

In this version, I'm pleased to announce, DOES NOT use any of the following:

Complicated on the spot math problems to solve in your head
Estimation
Cutting the deck openly or secretively
Duplicate cards
Cards "accidentally" left behind in the box
Gimmicked Cards

Oh by the way, the cards are immediately dumped from the box into an awaiting subject’s hand.

If you have any other questions, please don't be afraid to ask!

-George Tait
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
I like the sound if that, George. Is the box gimmicked in any way, and if so, can it be handled by the spectators? I'm probably way off.
RGM is one of my favourite effects - are your effects the forgotten and eidolon possible after this, and can they be performed consecutively?

Thanks for your help,
Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
My copies arrived today...

I look forward to spending the weekend delving into George's "Extremely Mental" Mind.

Congratulations on your work,

James
James Biss
mikep
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
327 Posts

Profile of mikep
I am interested in how many decks are required for this ACAAN effect called auspicious coincidence. please pm me.
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
I'm just getting into both books and I really like what I see!

Both of them by the way are first rate in design and print quality and are a welcome relief from so many of the little photocopied booklets that we've all endured in Magic for so many years.

More to follow,

James
James Biss
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Yes, both books are fantastic. I will post a more thorough review once I've fully digested them. His ACAAN effect is worth the price of the book. It is diabolical. And you don't need a memorized deck! Smile
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Yeah Dave,

I agree and agree and agree...

George knows that while both of his books are full of practital stuff, I was especially interested in his FORGOTTEN and in his ACAN (Auspicious Coincidence).

Both those effects to me are worth the price of his book!

Sidenote: As a collector / creator / fan of Chair Routines I can't wait to get his ENSCONCED FUNDAMENT. Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-04-29 04:23, sjdavison wrote:
I like the sound if that, George. Is the box gimmicked in any way, and if so, can it be handled by the spectators? I'm probably way off.
RGM is one of my favourite effects - are your effects the forgotten and eidolon possible after this, and can they be performed consecutively?

Thanks for your help,
Simon

Simon,

Both the deck and the box may be examined by the audience at the end of the effect.

The Forgotten and Eidolon are both possible after this, however I personally wouldn't perform them together. This is, however, just my preference.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!

-George Tait
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

THank you James, Paolo and David for the kind words. I'm pleased that you're enjoying the books.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Magicbygeorge,

Is it possible to use an EL-DUO deck, instead of a regular bicycle cards, for the Auspicious Coincidence?

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Mr. Mystic,

Yes you may use any brand of playing cards for any of the effects in the books.

-George Tait
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

George,

Correction.

I meant the EL-DUCO Giant Anglo Deck. I had a special Giant Anglo Deck made for Marc Spelmann's Mind Control effect, for a stand up show, and needed an effect to ring in the deck. Is Auspicious Coincidence still able to be performed with this size deck?

The Anglo Deck-http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=55954532&action=detail&item=005912

NM
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

NM,

Yes you'd wouldn't have any trouble using these cards for the effect.

And the method may perhaps just supply an extra secret for you as well.

-George
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

George,

Thanks for the reply, I'll be getting your book real soon.

NM
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mendacity - Consecution by Patrick G. Redford (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL