The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best way to learn card magic??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
I say to buy videos because if you're reading a book on sleights and don't understand the position of the deck or whatever, then on video it's much easier to understand plus, if you don't understand the sleight in a book then you end up skipping that section
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Ollie1235, I must say that I agree 100% with you and when you watch this video over and over again, you all the time capture something new. That helps you to make it even easier. But with a book...boring!
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
"Best way to learn card magic?"

Well, if you want to know the best way to learn card magic:

Join your local magic club!

Learning from other magicians with more experience than you is by far the best way to learn.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6955 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Brad Christian's Crash Course video has me impressed! At first, I thought it was another one of those B-type productions, but it's great! You follow those steps, and then you're ready for Ninja 1 & 2 (Ninja 1 deals with "The Pass" and its many variations)!

Along with the above suggestions, I seriously recommend Brad Christian...a thoroughly "today" kind of card magic! Kind of an MTV kind of production as well, with the camera being really busy and moving in and out and around...I like it.

Anyone agree?

Doug
askcody
View Profile
New user
Irvine, CA
4 Posts

Profile of askcody
Hey Doug,

I purchased Crash Course 1 as my first video, and was initially incredibly impressed. The video quality was great and the tricks were fairly easy to master as well as working quite effectively on my parents and siblings. I thought the video was awesome and almost purchased the Ninja videos, until I picked up a copy of RRTCM. I realized that there was so much more in a $10 book than the $30-40 videos Brad offers, that I don't think I'm going to buy any of the Ellusionist stuff again. Don't get me wrong, I think Brad does a good job teaching the material and that some of the material is good, but I think that the videos are incredibly overpriced. Ninja 1 and 2 as a set come to a total of something near $95 plus s/h. On the other hand, a used version of Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights (yes, all 8 videos) cost roughly $95 plus s/h on ebay. I'd rather have access to a bunch of sleights, be creative, and come up with some of my own material than simply copy someone else's tricks, routines, and style. Just my opinion.

Cody
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6955 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow!

THAT much???

Woo.

Got Crash Couse, Ninja 1 & 2, Steet Magic & King's Rising for Christmas...

I had NO idea they were that much...sorry, you're right...chunk-a-change, there...more than I would have EVER spent...

Just started watching them...and I LOVE the stuff I'm learning...my friend obviously spent a FORTUNE...hoo-boy...got lucky that time, didn't I?

Thanks for the info!

Doug
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Does anyone find irony in the fact that the posts made by those 'students of magic' who not enjoy reading are almost... unreadable?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
I started off with Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles series and Card College series.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Just a response to Gimmick 1586.
I agree but I would learn 2 or 3 sleights and practise them not only one. You should not do a trick for the sleight but for the way you reveal the chosen card. Learn a false shuffle or cut a card control and a sleight that helps you to reveal a card ie a DL. Then learn how to use them. You can do a 100 tricks with that if you know how to perform. You can use the false shuffle andor cut in almost all your tricks. Learn some self working tricks also it is a nice break in a routine.
It has only been mentioned once but Mark Wilson is a sure way to get started well with his Complete course in magic.
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Doesn't matter if it's learning magic or learning to paint, the best way is to learn from someone that is better than you...
F.
gerrardlo
View Profile
New user
Manchester
34 Posts

Profile of gerrardlo
Hi,
I've been doing card magic for about 6 months now and have progressed quickly. This is due to The Royal Road to Card Magic which is excellent as it covers everything in some detail with good directions. Hope this helps!
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
Quote:
On 2002-10-05 10:19, secondbaseman wrote:
I've been into cards for a couple of months now and I know a few slights but which book/video/DVD do you guys suggest to learn a lot about card magic from? I really want to be a good card magician.

greetings Niels

Hello Niels,

if you want to be a good card magician you should perform, for laymen, as much as possible. It doesn't matter that much which books you read. It matters much more how well you interact with people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best way to learn card magic??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL