The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: "Lorayne: The Classic collection" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Yes, I was one of those who rushed off their check to Harry after reading the SPAM for the book. Thanks Harry.

The book contains 442 pages and contains around 130 tricks. As you must know by now, it is a rephotographed and rewritten collection of his first four books: Close Up Card Magic, Personal Secrets, My Favorite Card Tricks, & Deck-Sterity

It would be impossible to review all the tricks. Give me ten years or so. The index makes it very easy to find what you are looking for if you are already familar with a trick and want to review it. I must admit that I am a fan of Harry Lorayne and already have a couple of his books and tapes. I have always enjoyed his style of writing. You can get excited just reading the discription of a trick. The new photographs makes it easy to follow and I am particularly enjoying the notes he has added to the tricks giving updates and history.

The first trick in the book "Location Supreme" is a study in locator cards. Learn from it. "Out of this Universe" page 70 is a classic. "Lorayne's Poker Deal" page 113 will blow away the laymen although I perfer "Poker Deal Two" in "Reputation Makers" a little better. I have been doing the "Ten Card Poker Deal" for over 25 years. I read Harry's routine on page 300 and picked up a huge tip I did not know which makes the trick MUCH better.

In the new section, "Really!" page 385,is already one of my favorites as it was originally published in Genii or Magic, can't remember, about a year ago. Follow the instructions and you will not know how you did it. Hello binery theory.

A point to make is that a good share of the material is not knuckle busting. It is in the range of the average magician. Sure there is some tough stuff, we want to grow don't we?

Price: 130 great tricks for way under a buck apiece. What did you pay for that last single trick CD? The tricks may be from the 60s but I'll bet YOU don't know more than a few of them! In closing I would ask that you guys in the Detroit area DO NOT buy this book! I would like to fry those of you I know or meet for the next ten years or so!!!!!!!!!

Respectfully,
No, Harry don't even know me much less pay me!

Merl Hamen
Oxford, Michigan
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I have also enjoyed the updates on these classic titles, making the book a welcome addtion to my library. As many of you may already know, in addition to the titles mentioned by MerlH, Harry also included The Epitome Location from the 70's. There is "Bonus" section at the end that contains some new effects.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Harry Lorayne is one of my favorite card guys and currently have all his books as well as each one signed by Him. Harry somehow got hammered over that spam problem which I think was an honest mistake but I highly recommend his work as well as his writing and really like his afterthoughts.
He gives a super lecture but sure is a hyper guy, but I love every minute of it..
The best lecture I ever attended.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
It's interesting that many on this board stayed away from this book because of some communication from Harry via email or otherwise that was considered rude, etc.

Being a collector, I purchased the book anyway....

I'm glad I did. It's well worth it.

Ted (Leondo)
JChristensen
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
71 Posts

Profile of JChristensen
Is the book a good buy for someone who has all the books that are represented? How extensive are the notes for each effect? I too love Harry's magic; his books were an important part of my magic education.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
J: If you already own the four books, I would not spend the money for the collection. The new section is good and it is nice to have everything in one big book. I guess it depends on your disposable income for magic.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
Just a quick list of the items missing from the original books:

"Close Up Card Magic "

No Looking
Calculated Risk
Mathematical Affinity
Magnetic Reversals
Fan Prediction #1 & #2
Black Out
The Spectator Estimates
Card Sandwich
Plunge Thru
1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1
Absolutely Free Force
Variation Change and Stud Poker
Four In Hand
Automatic Mind Reading #2
On Spectator's Hand
Torn Corner Transposition
Red Ace - Black Ace
Fantasia
Just Business Cards

"Personal Secrets"

Four More

"My Favorite Card Tricks "

Interlaced Location
Pseudo Memory #1

"Decksterity "

Double lift gag
Spellbinder
Oh, Those Aces!
The Royal Lovers
Faro Blockbuster
One Eyed Jack Sandwich Sequel
Modernizes Slop Shuffle
About Faces
Trampoline

These are the new tricks added:

The Colorful Assembly, Spectator-Cuts-The-Aces, Trick
Really!
In The Second Place
Gamblers Luck
Four-Second Wonder
Progressive Elevator, Plus
Assembly Backfire
Any-Deck Tally-Ho Extended
Four (Ace) Flusher
Instant Startler
Full-Deck Slide-In Shuffle
Automatic Double
Who Do We Appreciate
This Is Better?
Aces Over Easy
The One-of-Two Switch

I haven't had a chance to try out any of the new material but a couple of them look interesting.

Van
Later Ya'll

Van
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
WoW!!You really know your stuff van!!!!! 'PIZ'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: "Lorayne: The Classic collection" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL