The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Clip vs the old deck box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I used a card clip for a number of years, but eventually went back to the old deck box because I felt that the clip added a level of 'magicians prop' to the deck. No question that the clip takes better care of the deck, but part of the appearance should be that this is just a plane ol deck of cards, nothing special. I think the clip changes this perception.

What do other card guys think of the clip vs the box.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I think that the clip sometimes gets people's guards up. If I'm going to do card magic for someone, I don't want them to have any clue what to expect. Unless if an object is to be used for a particular reason in a trick, I don't want to have to justify its appearance. If I were to use, say, 3 worn Walking Liberty half dollars for a coin effect, I'd have a reason built into the trick to justify the handling of odd coins. This is the same reason I wouldn't use, oh, say, Black Tigers - there's something unfamiliar to people about them, or a card clip, and that object can become the focus - rather than the magic they're about to see.

BTW, I do use a clip, but leave it in my bag or pocket when I take out a deck to do magic.
tjo'
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Just remove it when you are about to take out your deck. Or jus ensure that the spectators do not get to see it.

I don think its that difficult for a magician to hide some stuff from the specs. I mean we have all been hiding our sleights. Smile

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
I'm a clip man myself with a snap down shirt pocket. Like ClouDsss said, don't let'em see it. If they do they won't play cards with you again...I learned that one the hard way...

Good Luck,

S.W.
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Card Clip vs the old deck box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL