The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » My first "card trick performace" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Hey guys. I "performed for the first time" in front of an actual audience today. Granted, it was a small audience, and it was only one trick. But I was nervous as day. I did a variation of the chicago opener, where I cut the deck and made them pick a card off the top, and they put it back in, and it turns around and changes from blue to red. I didn't get a whole lot of reaction from the audience. But afterwards, I talked to them, and they all said it was good. Will just continuing to perform for people ease my nervousness? I have no real trouble just walking up to someone and telling them to pick a card, then turning it around in the deck. I just learned that trick last week. But the group setting was a different story. Perhaps it is because it was not all about magic? I used it to illustrate a point in my speech.

p.s. this has nothing to do with my post, but I ordered 2 black tiger decks last week w00t I should have them by Friday, they ship today.
The Presitidigitationist
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
The more you perform, the more comfortable you'll get. That is, if you perform well. (If you perform badly, you'll probably never get comfortable. And you should stop performing.)

Many people suggest starting to perform by using a self-working effect; this allows you to concentrate more on the presentation/interaction rather than fretting over the mechanics. There's something to be said for this approach.

Good for you! You did a show for an audience and lived to tell about it! Keep it up!
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
The performances you do 'live' should always strive to duplicate the ones you imagine. Kudos to our newest member on stage.
magiciandex
View Profile
New user
White Pine, Tennessee
80 Posts

Profile of magiciandex
After perform one trick, I always lose my nerves. I think it is the forst trick that makes a person or breaks a person.
IBM Ring 58
Winter Carnival Of Magic
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Well I felt pretty good about the trick, except for the fact that I messed up the patter a little bit. Another disadvantage I had was the cheap cards I was using LOL...50 cent packs from the dollar store. I just bought some bikes today and I already love the way they feel just shuffling them. (I've used bikes before but its been eons)
The Presitidigitationist
STFC
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of STFC
I found I used to fet really shakey when I first started performing, the more you do it the easier it becomes and if you have no problem approaching people then your more than half way there,
ST
Stay Happy and everything will be all right.
Jack Norris
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Justin2200,

Congratulations!

It sounds like you are hooked like the rest of us now. Welcome to the club.

Keep on, keeping on!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
I almost always carry around my black deck with white pips now and usually walk up to 5-6 people throughout the course of the day and do a trick like card reversal or warped ace

I'm pretty sure that the effects I show have already been thought up, but I don't know who thought them up, or the names. Sometimes I do other things like combine tricks to do a reversal/color change.

Thanks Bob. I've always been intrigued with magic. I practically grew up watching David Copperfield. But I have never been obsessed with it as I am now. I find myself playing with cards more than my guitar now (scary).
The Presitidigitationist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » My first "card trick performace" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL