The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » The first signs of obsession! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Soupdragon
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soupdragon
Many years ago I saw a whole collection of magic items for sale in an antique shop in Rugby, UK.
I was skint at the time so couldn't buy anything - & I had no experience of magic.
Have thought back with regret many times to that day as I can still remember some of the items.

Yesterday I bought my first old magic trick, & can't believe what a thrill it was!!!!
Maybe some would think that sad but I can feel the urge to get more is creeping up on me.

Is yhis the sign of something anyone here would recognise? Lol
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Look at my Alan Warner collection and your question is answered.
Soupdragon
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Soupdragon
Staggering! I am awestruck!
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Soupdragon,
GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!! Trust me...if you feel the bug, it has bitten. This "disease" won't let up even with the little lady nippin' at yur heels ( God knows Shelley could just KILL ME sometimes ).
Here is some advice. DO YOUR RESEARCH and do not waste time on supposed "rare" magic. Spend your money on true collectables and/or items that strike your fancy but still maintain quality. When buying thru Ebay or anywhere else for that matter, BE SURE to STRESS for the shipper to pack the items VERY WELL ( Bubble wrap items seperately, at least 2" of peanuts or quality padding ALL THE WAY AROUND the items! Offer to PAY EXTRA for this service. It will be worth it )
I have bought 3 MILSON WORTH items which WERE in MINT CONDITION....until they shipped them to me! Man, you have NO IDEA how angry I was when they arrived actually BROKEN!! I am capable of restoring them but I pay for ORIGINAL condition and want to collect them as such. I did not bother with the post Office Insurance as it is a JOKE! They take 6 months or longer just to review the case and hold the prop the entire time. It really stinks. So..I have 3 beautifully BROKEN Milson Worth items in my MW collection whic I will fix up someday.
OK..I'm done Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
That really sucks, Chance. To anxiously wait for such great pieces of magic and find them damaged. However, I feel the seller is partly responsible for not packaging the item with extra care. I know that when I sell any quality piece I take into account the shipping price to make sure it's so well packaged as if I was shipping it to myself.

If I can't comply, I refuse to sell it. A good example is the Milson-Worth Pillar of the Magi. I have had offers on this one but the shipping of this large, heavy piece would be crazy, so it stays home.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
George,
If I could afford your Milson-Worth Pillar of the Magi...I would WALK to your place, load it in a padded back pack and hoof it back home!! That is a BEAUTIFUL piece and I could never imagine letting it go if I had to. I visit your webpage often and sit in my little dream world wishing they were all mine...then Shelley comes in, gives me the Profit & Loss statement and POPS my Dream Bubble Smile
Hey...I need to come up with something that you simply can't resist to add to your collection! I will be working on several VERY LIMITED pieces (3 units per item ) this year. Let's see if I can tap into your "Obsession nerve" and get it on your shelf Smile
Any thoughts an something you have always wanted?
Take care
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Chance
I frequently check out your site hoping to find that one new release that would fit into my collection. There is no doubt your magic is great*, but much of my collecting nowadays is on mini-magic or small close-up stuff. Even the Pillar of the Magi, though agreeably a beautiful piece, wouldn't fit if I didn't already own one. Well, you know the story of my having bought the Pillar, sight unseen, from Lynn and getting the shock of my life when I first saw it on picking it up.

*your name is among the many great craftsmen whose work will be profiled in a new "best of magic" site currently under construction.

Regards,
George
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yes stop now or it will eat you out of house and home.
My own collection of vintage magic was small until last week when I came across a number of boxes of old magic props in a bookstore that was closing down.

In it were

A Bob Kline Copentro
An Original Abbots Hole in One
A Mak Magic French Arm Chopper
An Abbots Blarney Die
Supreme Magics version of Abbott's Torturette
Mark Jacobs Plak-O
As well as a whole lot of magic drek I can hopefully unload at swap meets this year.

Got the whole lot for $150.00 which is what a new Copentro costs these days.

These newly acquired props instantly tripled my meager collection of vintage props and has me wondering where to put them all. I'd love to be able to display them for all to see but I haven't the room. They will be regulated to storage boxes in the basement and will only see the light of day when I drag them out to show off to my ever jealous friends.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1018 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
and has me wondering where to put them all. I'd love to be able to display them for all to see but I haven't the room.

Hence, my emphasis on collecting MINI magic..smaller props, more pieces in a limited storage space. ;-)
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1323 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Soupdragon, it's too late! Have you rented extra storage space yet? Are you sneaking magic purchases into the house while your spouse is away (that won't work by the way)? My own obsession is with cards, enough to fill a closet!
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
Running out of floor space is certainly the first warning sign!!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The first sign is invisible!

But then later...

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It is terribly addicting. You find one old laquered box, then maybe a squared circle, then some piece of apparatus once owned and used by one of the greats, then it becomes a never ending cycle. You only have to have more and more. I started with a single old laquered silk cabby, and it has all been a downhill spiral since.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » The first signs of obsession! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL