The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Illusion velvet-permanent or not!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Hi Guys-

I am about to wrap a stainless steel bar on my Levitation in Black velvet-should I do this with a permanent Glue that is difficult to remove in the future that I have been recommended to use so it sticks well or a semi permanent that might not bond as well to the metal in case I need to change the velvet if marked etc

Appreciate any help!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Both ways have their advantages, but I'd be safe and go with a semi permanent so you really can change the velvet if needed. I have been trying to get permanently glued velvet off from a prop and it is extremely difficult.

Maybe you could do a velvet sleeve that fits on the bar? Glue velcro on ends of the bar and attach it that way, changing would be a breeze. But as I don't know what kind of bar you have, this is just a wild idea.
Sent from my Typewriter
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I use velveteen contact paper, sometimes found in hardware stores, craft shops or wood working supply companies.

Kregg
POOF!
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Brent,
Cut your Velvet so there is a 3/4" overlap when wrapped around the bar. Apply a quality Spray Adhesive to the velvet ONLY and apply this to the bar. The apply coat of adhesive on BOTH SIDES of the OVERLAP point. This will give you a permanent bond within the velvet area only making it easy to remove by simply slicing a cut with an x-acto blade down the overlap and you can pull the velvet right off Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Brent,

Here's a different approach:

First wrap the bar with self-adhesive kraft paper tape, then permanently glue the velvet to the tape. It'll stay forever, but you can easily remove it with a putty knife and a little mineral spirits.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Thank you so much guys!!-So much appreciated

I will try asap a couple of the above methods-

Will let you know of the results

I have tried a slip on velvet sock before but the result wasnt too good!!

I will try & overlap the velvet first & spray an adhesive-Thanks Chance!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Illusion velvet-permanent or not!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL