The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Different levitations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
nappa
View Profile
Regular user
new york
108 Posts

Profile of nappa
Where did you find the wild levitation?
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
I bought the King's Rising, but I never use it. I've never gotten a good response from my musle. The only one which I do is the Balducci. But lots of people know it. So I feel King's is the best. But I never practice it. So... I dunno about my angles.
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
As you all should know by now there is a new levetation called THE ELEVATOR. It is entirely different from any of the above. If any of you have it let me know what you think.
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
kasperzghost
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of kasperzghost
Ok I don't know what the levitation is called but it's the one preformed by David Blaine, the simple one that gets you a couple of inches!!! It is the best impromtu levitation if you ask me and it really isn't hard to figure out just think about it.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Quote:
On 2002-10-16 21:48, cardsleight1120 wrote:
hi, the M.U.C.L.E levitation you were refering to is not that good, I would not recommend getting it because, when you see it in person it doesn't look that real. Hope that helps man.

I have to disagree with you. I have the trick and I have been doing it for a long time now, gotten great reactions too.

The setup, let's just say there is no setup. You can do it anytime anywhere.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Quote:
As for reverse-engineering other people's effects, yes that can be done -- sometimes, even easily. However, CREATING such effects is the tough part. And I respect the effort from the originator.

This is so very true, and something that so many of us forget. It is so asy for us to figure out how it is done after someone else did it. Yet no one figured it out before someone else did it. i.e,. I figured out bisection by Andrew Mayne, yet I still bought the booklet because without him I would never have thought of it.

As to levitation..... all the methods out there from Balducci to Corey King's King Rising to The Elevator (sorry peter I could not spell your last name) work great........ If you present them well!

It is all about the presentation people, I don't care if Copperfield himself designed your show, if you cannot make a good presentation than go home! The method of your levitation is only as good as the performer PERFORMING it.

Sorry if I sound mean but this is a big issue to me,

Mat
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
The new Elevator beats the others hands down. (See the long threads in "Good, Bad, Garbage.)

I would suggest that the Elevator is so strong that it should be performed very rarely. It is "miracle man" stuff, and should be made into a very special event--not just one more trick with your cards and coins.

Remember, when Blaine was first coming to prominence he would levitate very sparingly, even for reporters who came to interview him. He waited for the ideal moment and then sprung it on people. It created a much greater sensation than if he had gone around doing it all over the place.

Bob
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-02-11 17:50, kasperzghost wrote:
Ok I don't know what the levitation is called but it's the one preformed by David Blaine, the simple one that gets you a couple of inches!!!

That would be the Balducci Levitation, invented by Ed Balducci (hence the name) and published in Karl Fulves' The Pallbearers Review.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
magic216
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magic216
why is the elevator levitation so expensive?
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2002-10-06 16:39, Derek P. Moore wrote:
This sounds similar to what most people call The King Rising levitation. Is it the same?

King Rising isn't really that hard to figure out. Instead of paying $17 for some downloadable video, save that money for something better. Sit down to breakfast some morning and think really hard about it. It should be super easy to figure out. We all know that magic is fake, so just start with what you know you can assume and work backwards. Smile

With King Rising, it's pretty obvious.
Look how easy it is to reverse engineer another's magic. You'll find you tend to learn a lot more about magic approaching it in this manner. It also helps you to be a bit more innovative and inventive.

Tsk, Tsk. Some things are just not public domain. If you want to do King Rising, spend your money on it! Without the original creator, you wouldn't have thought of it, so don't steal it.

Sure, you learn a lot about magic by doing this, but it's in a similar way to a bank robber making lots of money!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Quote:
On 2003-02-12 17:40, magic216 wrote:
why is the elevator levitation so expensive?

Because it is so good. You may shake your head when you first get it. Mainly because
"why didn't I think of that". Once you do it you'll be hooked. Enough good can't be said.
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Mr. Bunkley
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bunkley
Wow Chris Z.

I have to agree with the other poster... that's bad Karma advising people NOT to pay $17 to the creator of Kings Rising and to "Figure it out" by reengineering the trick from the video. Even if that's what you did... advising others to do the same is just wrong.

You wouldn't have had anything to "figure out" if Corey hadn't invented it and marketed the product.

That's a big problem in Magic.... some of the best stuff never gets put out on the market just because of this unethical behaviour.

I wrote about this in another thread but it kind of applies here. Mac King does an incredible rope routine... but I've never seen him perform it at Magic conventions, on TV or on Video. It's KILLER and does it for pretty much ALL of his layman shows (In fact I think it might be his opener?) ....but I think he refuses to perform it because of unethical magicians that reengineer the trick and then claim it as their's because they "figured it out" on their own.

OK I'll step down now -NEXT???

Daniel
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I don't like the muscle levitation because if you really could levitate, why put a coat in front of you? The elevator seems much better because you can face the spec with no cover and you can rotate, plus the angles are ten times as good. I do not own either of these effects though I'm almost positive I know how the Muscle works.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Well if you could really levitate, why would you have to bend down? If DC could really make the statue of liberty disapear, why would he have to cover it.

It's not real, OK, it's just tricks. It's not real magic, you just make the imposible seem posible. Do you think the elevator is real magic? Sorry to burst the bubble, but it's not.
MagicAL47
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicAL47
Well some people are saying that elevator is expensive and it is but think about this you get an extremely high quality gimmick that will last you a lifetime and you would be getting a lot more than if you bought the m.u.s.c.l.e.
~Magic-Al~
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I never said that it is real magic. I bend down anyway with my patter and "feel that air currents" or something like that. In the specs mind that has nothing to do with the method of the effect. If you hold a towel in front, you are obivously hiding something, if you bend down, so what?
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
The laypeople don't really know that there are several methods. I've done the Balducci and the mucle levitation for the same people. They did not ask about the coat. They just said " He floated".
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Having bought MUSCLE, King Rising, at least one Balducci tape... It's really a matter of where you are and what you're up to.

I'd actually take a tip from Andrew Mayne's "Touching Sky" booklet (highly recommended - plug plug) for an approach to using MUSCLE through his 'floating on the edge' illusion - use a stair, a stoop, or even a chair to give yourself a platform to stand on, then 'float' your feet out over the edge - it cuts down on the Incredible Shrinking Magician effect.

Yours in getting every cent you can out of the $100 you spend on MUSCLE

... Tobias the Adequate
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
I did not spend a $100. It's something called Neo Rise, which is exactly the same as Muscle. I spent about $25. I have Touching Sky.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Sorry - I just always assume that any solo levitation is gonna run me about $100 - it prevents terror when shopping
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Different levitations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.73 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL