The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Way to Learn Thought of Number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Richard Doyle
View Profile
Regular user
Maryland
125 Posts

Profile of Richard Doyle
Sorry read post to fast. Your right

Richard
Slimfrinky
View Profile
Regular user
Nicholson, MS
153 Posts

Profile of Slimfrinky
Learn Osterlind's Center Tear... I've never seen a better version, and the spectator ends up holding all the pieces... Takes a bit of practice, but what doesn't?
The eye of Katrina went right over my house. I now have a distinct distrust of nature.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 00:26, Robertson wrote:
Larry Becker has a great method of pre-show that he recently tipped at his lecture. The brilliant thing about it is that the assisting spectator can swear that he only 'imagined' writing something with an 'invisible' pen (not that this spectator should have a chance to mention anything that alludes to pre-show). Just know that this person is just as amazed as the rest of the audience.

Sounds like pencil reading?

I also think sound reading has a lot of potential, would need to practice more myself, soundreading rhine symbols is quick to learn, there are some problems with numbers i.e some sound the same etc.
Slimfrinky
View Profile
Regular user
Nicholson, MS
153 Posts

Profile of Slimfrinky
I forgot my current favorite method. I forget the name, but I'm sure someone will remind me. It was on a Banachek tape, and you have a spectator write down a three diget number, then another one, subtract the two, and you divine the number.

I recently started performing this impromtue, and have gotten wonderful responces.

If someone out there knows the routine I'm talking about, please remind me. I know the principal dates back to the 1900's though.
The eye of Katrina went right over my house. I now have a distinct distrust of nature.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
*z? *IlOn 2005-05-25 22:42, Slimfrinky wrote:
Quote:
I forgot my current favorite method. I forget the name, but I'm sure someone will remind me. It was on a Banachek tape, and you have a spectator write down a three diget number, then another one, subtract the two, and you divine the number.

I recently started performing this impromtue, and have gotten wonderful responces.

If someone out there knows the routine I'm talking about, please remind me. I know the principal dates back to the 1900's though.

202 methods of forcing by Anneman has some good ones,

Write your year of birth
then the year of some important event in your life
then add your current age
then add how many years since the important event

The total will always be twice the present year,

However you must make sure they have had their birthday already.

I think the one you mention above is to force the number 18 (or 9)

There is a similar one to force the number 1089.

I would be interested if anyone knows any other good ones.

I suppose mathematical oddity books are good for this kind of thing.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of espmagic
And, could be difficult for the "mathmatically-challenged" audience members!

Lee
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
I used to do a magic square routine where I produced a square for someones thought of number and I used to use my Kopy Kat to get the info. Goes right under their noses and can be reset onstage.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Not to forget "context" either. i.e, there is no "perfect method"
Whatever method you use is really immaterial as long as it fades into obscurity.

A clipboard would look so out of place in certain situations and it would be illogical to use a peek wallet for some settings.

Also, bear in mind as to how you are going to reveal the information, if you are going to show the number "thought of" or ask them to say out loud the number they were "thinking of" or show your square first etc as these factors will all affect heavily the type of peek and / or device it would be logical and / or practical to use.

These ALL need to be taken into consideration *first* alongside your blocking and audience management and *then* forgotten.

So, in essence, the perfect or "best" way to peek a number is a sum total of all this and also one which is never suspected *and* forgotten regardless of the method or technique.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
1)Cue them yourself, just Mute your microphone and tell them that they are thinking of the number (insert # here).

2)Tell them to say "Yes, that is my number" with the mic on mute.

3) Tell them "I want you to think of a number" while palming a small card with a number written on it and pointing at it.

Then go into your patter and predict it.

I have the lecture notes for sale at $1,000.00 its a 3 page manuscript only available to 50 people. I accept PAY PAL and Food Stamps.

G0THIKE
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
941 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Back to Nyman's trick "Deep Red Prediction". He admitted in the video that his volunteer felt as if she cheated since she had been "pre-showed". In other words, she thought that she may have been manipulated into selecting the name of the video.

So, aside from using the Svengali (short cornered) deck of index cards to force the name of the video, does anyone have another suggested method for assuring the proper outcome?

thanks,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
An instant, live-time peek is assured with my just out, gimmick-free MEMOrable! Read about it on my site. Any questions, by all means, please ask me.
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On 2005-06-27 22:15, Richard Busch wrote:
An instant, live-time peek is assured with my just out, gimmick-free

....and it will IMO be perfect for your Magic Square.
No folding, no tearing, just straight foreward, - get the number!

Sven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Way to Learn Thought of Number (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL