The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Ed Marlo 35 Years Later (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maxrod88
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of maxrod88
I'm thinking about getting Ed Marlo's 35 years later video. I love Ed Marlo's magic, and I really enjoyed the 2 A-1 videos. It was really cool seeing Ed at Schueliens. Can anyone tell me a little about this video? I know that it's a lecture but that's it.
max
SPINE
View Profile
New user
Chicago
87 Posts

Profile of SPINE
I'm going to get it. It's $15 at this magic shop I go to so I'll let you know after I get it. I might pick it up this week.
Card Ruse
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I like it. I was 3 miles away from the lecture, but didn't go to it...Duh !!! Lots of notables in the audience, like a YOUNG Daryl. Hope you enjoy it. Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Well, cards are involved . . .
maxrod88
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of maxrod88
I know a lot of the material in this video. I have The Card Magic of Ed Marlo? Does it have any extra material? I can't wait to get it I heard theres a lot of well known Magi's there. On Hank Lee's site it say it's a 2 hout video but on others it say 1 hour.

Hey Randy My last video I got was one of your I really like your develish maricale and spec on stage.

Can you please tell me how I can get some really neat white bordered cards for tricks like Back to the future and other card changing miracle.but cheap though.The Golden nugget cards go for 10 to 20 dollars on ebay.They have really diffent back design and wacky colors
max
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
How "cheap" is cheap to you? Dinner for one at White Castle can run $10 . . .
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Last time I had *real* White Castle cheeseburgers (not the supermarket kind) you could buy a sack of 10 for a buck.

That was 35 years ago. Approximately. Give or take a few years.
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
In my review of the video, written in September 2001, I gave it an excellent rating. For those interested here it is, but it is a bit long, so feel free to skip it.

Matt Field

---------------------

Ed Marlo – 35 Years Later
60 mins., $35 (plus $3.50 p&h) from Randy Wakeman, 12362 S. Oxford Lane, Plainfield, IL 60544. Email: randymagic@aol.com.

In 1986 Ed Marlo returned after 35 years to lecture once again in St. Louis, MO. He prepared and published a set of lecture notes titled Thirty Five Years Later and the material from these notes became part of The Card Magic of Ed Marlo published by L&L in 1993. This is a one-camera video recording of that lecture, in color and excellent quality (for a home video-type recording) and what a treat for Marlo fans it is.

You are transported to a noisy hotel meeting room, with sounds of whatever was going on in the adjacent room, complete with boom-boom rock music, leaking through. The camera uses its zoom capabilities intermittently and you can’t see the faces of the cards clearly. Just like attending a real lecture! There’s the great Marlo, pompadoured hairpiece and all, in a great mood and obviously proud to be at the convention he’s addressing. And this is the funny Ed Marlo, giving forth with many magician-only jokes and recounting stunts he pulled on the wise-guys when he was pitching “slum” magic at Chicago’s Treasure Chest (about which you can find more in Jon Racherbaumer’s book of Marlo non-card effects, Arcade Dreams). It’s a great portrait of the man.

Oh, yes – the tricks. There are ten, nine of which are explained. “Are We Fooling Ourselves” has the Ace of Spades and three blank cards transforming into each other; “Female,” a famous trick in which a card is freely named by a woman, then all the cards are shown to have male names printed on their backs except the selection, which not only has a female name, it’s the spectator’s actual name! It takes some pre-show work and the card can’t be handed out, but Marlo has some variations (naturally) which address these restrictions. “Not All Psychological” is a “stop” trick; “Devilish Miracle” and “On the Interlaced Transposition” are incomplete but valuable footnotes to the performance of these classic tricks; “The Money Sandwich” uses a gaffed dollar bill for a very clean “Between Your Palms” variation, and “Card In Case” is yet another variant; “Challenge Oil and Water” is performance-only and you can’t see the faces of the cards, but it is still very impressive.

You might be able to learn a couple of the tricks from this video alone, but it is really most valuable as an adjunct to either of the two books mentioned above. Actually, its greatest value is being able to time-warp oneself back 15 years to attend a Marlo lecture, something of which many a cardician worthy of his linen finish has dreamt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Ed Marlo 35 Years Later (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL