The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sources on basics for mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Hi!
I want to learn metnalism and what is it is. I have done a lot of researcha about meterial to begin with and almost everybody say Corinda or Anneman. Now, I have thought about buying these, but from experience I know I have a hard time reading a book and learning at the same time. I'm more of a visual learner. Therefor I wonder if there are any videos or dvds which are good when starting out with mentalism.

//thanks
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
You still ought to have Thirteen Steps anyway...

Howard
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Hey Delmondo,

You can take a look at the wonderful material Richard Osterlind is putting out on DVD. Honestly, there is enough material there for a lifetime.

But if you decide not to learn from books, you will be missing the most important works on the subject.
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
For dvd , Osterlinds mind mysteries set as well as Easy to Master Mind Miracles set are the cream of the crop in my opinion. I cannot speak highly enough about them.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1035 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
You don't really have a choice but to read and learn from the classics. as stated aboce osterlinds easy to master mental miracles is good since it is the classic material performed and expalined. But still, you must read the classic books if you want to get far.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
I'm partial to books, but do think that these DVDs are better than most for people starting out in mentalism:

The first volume in Banachek's Psi Series is actually titled "Mentalism for the Casual Performer." (The rest are good, too!)

Max Maven's Videomind series. (His book, PRISM, is a must-have as well!)

The Carlyle Touch DVD. (I'd also get his lecure notes and use the DVD as a "companion" piece.)

The written word in magic and mentalism has advanced since the days of Annemann and Corrinda. There are books with more photos, better line drawings, larger fonts, and generally more "readable" text out there. It is your choice, and you know yourself better than anyone else does, but the "best work" in mentalism is still--IMO anyway--contained within the pages of books, many of which were published within the past 20 years.

Chris
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Here's the thing I find, when people learn from DVD's a lot of people end up doing the same thing, which is fine if you just want to do what every one elese does.
But if you want to perform some thing that no body has ever apparently seen before, books are the way to go.
some times two mentalist can read the same effect, but when performed look totally different, there is a lot of room for personal style.
Also when you look through a book you may pick out some thign that is old and nobody elese has noticed or peroformed for a long time, in this way you could end up with a great seemingly origional effect which baffels all.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Everything that has been said above is hereby seconded.

What surprises me, is that Tarbell almost never is mentioned when this question from time to time pops up.
In addition to everything else here, you will find great, practical material on mentalism.

Sven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sources on basics for mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL