The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » WW2 Hero (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KidMagic87
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of KidMagic87
I had no idea where to post this, but because I think it involves Sol Stone, I figured this was the best place.

A few years ago I saw Simon Lovell lecture at Magic on Manhattan in NYC. Unfortunately, they stopped this great convention, but that's not my point. At the end of his lecture, Simon told a story of a magician in World War II who was traveling home on a train. On the train was a young boy whose parents had been murdered in front of him during the Holocaust, and had neither spoken nor smiled for years. The magician performed a simple French drop and production of a pebble, which cause the boy to smile and say thank you. I think the magician was Sol Stone, but I'm not entirely sure. The reason I ask is because I'm writing a paper for high school on my love of magic, and in particular why I perform magic. So, in closing, I'd just like clarification on who this particular magician was.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Dave
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sent you a PM, -Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
card123
View Profile
Loyal user
Button moon
208 Posts

Profile of card123
PM?

That needs posting as it sounds fascinating Smile
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Wasn't he the one that helped camo entire fleets and create fake battalions in a ruse to stage a false movement of troops? I believe that this deception set the stage for a successful d-day. I'm not exactly sure about his name, but it could be S. Stone. There was a documentary episode on the HISTORY channel about this and it's in several history books as well. Search the HISTORY CHANNEL website for a copy of the magician that helped win WWII.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Sol Stone tells this story on his "Quick and Casual Close Up" DVD. It was him.
Click to visit:
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Thanks, Sol for lives saved and victories won.
what other magician had a greater impact on the 20th century? WoW!!!
A standing ovation just wouldn't do him justice.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Read "The War Magician". It is in paperback. I got one in about 1983.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
I think you'll find the War Magician you talk about is Neville Maskelyn who made cities move. I was trying to get hold of the book some time ago and it was out of print. There was also talk of a film being made with Tom Cruise set to play the "War Magician" but I haven't heard anything on this for some time
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 07:44, Chris "linkster" Watson wrote:
I think you'll find the War Magician you talk about is Neville Maskelyn who made cities move. I was trying to get hold of the book some time ago and it was out of print. There was also talk of a film being made with Tom Cruise set to play the "War Magician" but I haven't heard anything on this for some time

Chris,

Too bad it's out of print. It is a good read. I wish I had one to send you.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The magician in question was Jasper Maskelyne.

There was also a documentary of him shown on either History's Mysteries or Biographies.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks Michael!

When it comes to history, I made it to Davy Crockett and quit.

This was a very good book and it was given to me by an economics professor!

I wish I still had it.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
There's an interesting site devoted to Jaspers escapades here http://www.maskelynemagic.com/
Shows the other side of the coin I'm afraid
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I wish someone would do the same with the Berglas book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Neville Maskelyne was Jasper's grandfather and a professional magician. As I understand it, Jasper was a third generation magician. "THe War Magician" is an undocumented version of the Maskelyne story with, according to the Maskelyne family, a large number of fictional embellishments. Still, the accomplishments of Jasper Maskelyne and his unique camouflage unit during World War II saved thousands of lives and greatly enhanced the allied war effort. Bravo! The book has been issued, by the way.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
FYI, another little known war here was Emile Clifton (Clifton Ring move and his MacDonald's Ace routine). Emile never talked about it, but on his death a mutual friend gave me an envelope that Emile wanted me to have then.

He was one of the Tuskeegee Airmen and winner of the Distinguished Flying Cross. He was shot down behind enemy lines (Germany) and escaped.

A terrific magician and one of the best friends I ever had... a great influence on my performing, Emile coached me to my win of the Grand Prix trophy at the PCAM convention.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » WW2 Hero (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL