The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have $30 to spend... :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
Long story, but I need to spend $30.00 in 1 week and I want to get some magic items. Ideally, $30 will cover the entire purchase, but if necessary it will just contribute. I'll make this short and sweet:
Background: Semi-professional magician moving more into mentalism and mental magic
Own: Corinda's 13 steps, Osterlind's Mind Mysteries, PK Touches, Cabaret Mindreading by Lesley and some metal bending.
Thinking of buying (in order):
Off magic-notes.com - King has left the building w/ Amnesia, Post Justify
Books: Mnemonica, Prizm, Richard Busch Peak Performances, Bob Cassidy's Book, New Encyclopedia of Stage Hynosis -Ormond McGill, Pure Effect -D.Brown
DVD: ETMMM, Videomind, Banachek's Psi Series, Jamy Ian Swiss in London, Who's Afraid of IT, Sh4de (Daniel Garcia)

Waiting on: Daniel Garcia's DVD set, Paul Harris DVD set, Docc Hilford's DVD set

*I was going to put Richardson's Theater of the Mind on the list, but he's coming to Ohio (my state) in 2 weeks, so I'll pick that up there. I need to buy something in the meantime!

I really enjoy mentalism and have KILLED with BCS. I think there's some very nice ideas/work with billets as well, and I know a lot of mentalism is acting. I just need some ideas and techniques. I saw Patrick Kuffs DVD and thought it was just "Okay", and I think Lesley and Eugene Berger are so-so.

PLEASE NO POSTS ABOUT CORINDA BEING THE ONLY BOOK I NEED AND THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME. I know, even though I write this I will still hear this. I am NOT asking about this!!! Yes, it's great, but please answer my question

1) What do you guys recommend?
2) If there's something I'm missing, please let me know!

Thank you all in advance. Smile

-J
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
I'd go with PRISM.

Is this a coupon/gift card that is expiring or something?

Chris
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
1 word: Annenman
Any of it, although Practical Mental Magic is probably his most popular work.
You can also get the whole Jinx series in compiled form, in print or in eBook format.
I don't think anyone would write that 13 steps is "all you ever need". That kind of statement belongs in the limited thinking dumpheap along with "If man were meant to fly, he'd have wings", or, "640k should be enough memory for anyone !" (Bill Gates, ~ 1982)
I'm amazed you listed every other resource and somehow left him out. Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
I'd go with Busch or Cassidy.

Btw, can you p'm me info about Richardson going to ohio?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
Sorry about Barrie Richardson! Smile He WAS here for... I believe Magi-Fest or the IBM convention. I missed his lecture Smile. David Williamson will be at the "Battle of Magicians" in Canton though.

I didn't mention Anneman. You're right Smile. Thank you for reminding me!

Also, yes it's a gift card that expires in May.

-J
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Mind Warp. Richard Mark $ 25.00 ( should'nt even talk about that book )
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
555 Posts

Profile of Nick23
My vote is for a Thought Transmitter.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
I enjoyed reading fundamentals from cassidy, actually most of his work is entertaining to read as well as practical.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17551 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Mind, Myth, and Magick....Hands Down....Dig into your own pocket if you must!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
Prism will at least be a book that you will have to read at one time or another. So why not now? I think Pure Effect is another one of the must books. There are several opinions on both of these works but I think, if you want to be a mentalist, that you will just have to judge them for yourself. Mind you, Pure Effect has very little to give on effect/methods vice, it is more to do with the performance and the philosophy of mentalism. At least for me it was.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I vote for...
Post Justify
ETMMM
Prism

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
Thanks for the food for thought. I think b/c Barrie Richardson is NOT coming to Ohio, I need to consider his, "Theater of the Mind". Stunners Plus or M.I.N.D come to mind as possible investments as well. Ideally, I will be buying an item that isn't just ONE effect, but an assortment of different ideas that have been tested. For example, I love the C-tear, but ONE of the things that would be nice to see is different ways to reveal the word / # / object, etc... At the same time, I hear muscle reading and cold reading are as close as you can get to the "real thing". Thanks for the feedback!

-J
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
I would like to recomend to you The book Pure Effect by Derren Brown I think its around $30 dollars.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
Save some more money and get ETMMM.. IT'S SUPERB. Buy PRISM if you're anxious and need instant gratification.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Visit your local offic supply store and stock up on envelopes, index cards, etc.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Fill up your gas tank.

G.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Evil Dan has some good advice - I'd go with that and sell your DVD's too, put the money towards hardbound copies of The Jinx and save the rest for Ice cream and cookies.

Socrates

"Work to become, not to aquire" Elbert Hubbard Smile
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-04-24 23:56, Pauly Prestige wrote:
I would like to recomend to you The book Pure Effect by Derren Brown I think its around $30 dollars.

I think the most current run is OOP. Can anyone verify this?

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
Best vfm in my opinion is thought transmitter, super sharpie and banachecks psi.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2586 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
If you're new to mentalism and want to get going as quickly as humanly possible I advise:

DVD's

ETMMM - The set
Mind Mysteries - The set

Books

Psych Subtleties - Banachek
Prism - Goldstein
Perfected Center Tear - Osterlind

That's enough PRACTICAL stuff that can keep you going for a year

I don't know why people recommend Mind Myth & Magic or Busch's Peek books to beginners when what they really need is sure fire stuff with ready to go routines. Stuff from MM&M needs rethinking and Busch's stuff needs routining.

Why use thought transmitter when you can have bits of paper that won't be remembered, although the mind reading will. With thought transmitter you're likely to get the comment 'do the thing with the little plastic wallet again'

Avoid anything that has a trick feel to it at all costs. Especially if coming from a magicians standpoint you want to be able to say 'this isn't magic, it's real'. You won't be able to say that if you then show the specs any prop that looks like magic - especially if that's what you're known for.

30 bucks for though transmitter vs. just one of the ETMMM?

ETMMM every time. More than 10 effects with routining that can blow people away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Have $30 to spend... :) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL