The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which "Classic" Mentalist Books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Which "Classic" Mentalist Books?

I understand that in order to learn mentalist magic, the magician must first read the 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda and Practical Mental Magic by Ted Annemann. These two basic, but dated, mentalist books are important to a mentalist because they teach the basics that you will need as a mentalist. Once these two books have been read and understood then the next important mentalist book to read is Mind, Myth & Magick by TA Waters. This book is read last because it is more advanced than the 13 Steps to Mentalism or Practical Mental Magic.
I want to learn more about mentalism but I have too many other types of magic books now and I can't afford to buy 10 or 20 more mentalist books. There are just too many mentalist books out there. Which "mentalist classic" books will I really use and which ones do I really need to buy?

I have these three:
13 Steps to Mentalism - Tony Corinda - Mentalist Classic
Practical Mental Magic - Ted Annemann - Mentalist Classic
Mind, Myth & Magick - T.A. Waters - Mentalist Classic
What Next???

There are so many mentalist authors and books that I am not sure where to turn to next. Here is where I am confused, now after these three mentalist classics, what are the next "Mentalist Classics" that a mentalist magician must read?

SUGGESTIONS I HAVE HEARD BUT AM NOT SURE ABOUT
Anything and everything written by Max Maven, Steve Banachek, Derren Brown and Richard Osterlind?
Prism: The Color Series of Mentalism by Max Maven?
7 Deceptions by Luke Jermay?
Absolute Magic by Derren Brown or Pure Effect by Derren Brown?
Psychological Subtleties by Steve Banachek?
Gems of Mental Magic by Authur Buckley?
The Handbook of Mental Magic by Marvyn Kaye?
The Mental Mysteries and Other Writings by William W. Larsen, Sr.?
Others???

Thank you.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
I think those 3 you have are more than enough.... Almost everything today can be referenced back to those.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6470 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Funstuff, has said exactly what I said at your other thread, but in much less words... Listen to funstuff and then go read the three books... and then read them again... and then take a break and read them again.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Besides reading those wonderful 3 books you have already, you might wanna add

Psychological Subtleties by Steve Banachek

into your collection

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I agree with with funstuff, and Greg to 101%. Other books apart from these 3 are only spinoffs in one way or another. Any serious new mentalist should have those 3 in their mental magic library, they won't need any others.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
I don't have as much experience as the above people but I will say that if you feel you need to add one more book you can't go worng by adding Psychological Subtleties by Banachek. It gave me a different perspective to what I felt Mentalism could be.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Gerard,
Take the 3 wonderful books you listed above and read them after you have finished re-read them. Study them and really think about what is in them . I think most people buy books like this and maybe actually read them. Because others suggest them. But they do not really get anything out of them. I don't ean they don't get material to perform , I mean they don't get the knowledge they should.
I am not saying this about you. I am just warning you not to fall into this sort of thing. It is not about how many books you have. You could have the Copperfield library and still not be any smarter or a better performer. My point is just use what you got. You said you can't afford to buy 10 or 20 new books. Good. If you can't buy them it leaves you no choice but to read what you have.
Good luck .
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Call me a heretic but I think "Mind, Myth & Magick by TA Waters" is well over-rated. 1000 pages of mostly unworkable or not very exciting stuff.

I reckon you get more workable things from Peek Performance.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Pick up all of Richard Busch's stuff. Definetely.

Barrie Richardson's Book (aswell as the one hes coming out with).

Larry Becker's Book.

And Bob Cassidy's stuff.

And probably Ken Weber's book.

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
magikphun
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
5 Posts

Profile of magikphun
You may want to contact Denny & Lee's (dennymagic.com). Denny stocks all of the hard to find Robert Nelson mentalism books. There is probably about a dozen of them, all high quality updateable/workable stuff, and they are only in the $10 range. You should also look into buying Anneman's Jinx magazines either bound or on CD-ROM. He also has the Enyc of StageHypnotism which is a complete hypno act from start to finish. It runs around $15 I think and is full of very cool stuff.
The party was going fine til' the plunger got involved...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Paramiracles.

Why? It is entertaining mentalism. You don't get that from most other books. Yes, it crosses over into magic. So what. The material in it is the kind of stuff that made Ted Lesley famous.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which "Classic" Mentalist Books? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL