The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Other "Classic" Mentalist Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Other "Classic" Mentalist Books

I understand that in order to learn mentalist magic, the magician must first read the 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda and Practical Mental Magic by Ted Annemann. These two basic, but dated, mentalist books are important to a mentalist because they teach the basics that you will need as a mentalist. Once these two books have been read and understood then the next important mentalist book to read is Mind, Myth & Magick by TA Waters. This book is read last because it is more advanced than the 13 Steps to Mentalism or Practical Mental Magic.
I want to learn more about mentalism but I have too many other types of magic books now and I can't afford to buy 10 or 20 more mentalist books. There are just too many mentalist books out there. Which "mentalist classic" books will I really use and which ones do I really need to buy?

I have these three:
13 Steps to Mentalism - Tony Corinda - Mentalist Classic
Practical Mental Magic - Ted Annemann - Mentalist Classic
Mind, Myth & Magick - T.A. Waters - Mentalist Classic
What Next???

There are so many mentalist authors and books that I am not sure where to turn to next. Here is where I am confused, now after these three mentalist classics, what are the next "Mentalist Classics" that a mentalist magician must read?

SUGGESTIONS I HAVE HEARD BUT AM NOT SURE ABOUT
Anything and everything written by Max Maven, Steve Banachek, Derren Brown and Richard Osterlind?
Prism: The Color Series of Mentalism by Max Maven?
7 Deceptions by Luke Jermay?
Absolute Magic by Derren Brown or Pure Effect by Derren Brown?
Psychological Subtleties by Steve Banachek?
Gems of Mental Magic by Authur Buckley?
The Handbook of Mental Magic by Marvyn Kaye?
The Mental Mysteries and Other Writings by William W. Larsen, Sr.?
Others???

Thank you.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2031 Posts

Profile of jimtron
There are very many posts here about mentalism books; you might want to search the Café. Two very strong books that I don't think you mentioned: Paramiracles by Ted Lesley, and Theater of the Mind by Barrie Richardson.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Banachek's book, Theater of the Mind, Anything by Busch, Lesley, Cassidy's books, and becker's books.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
394 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Please, please, please, please, DO NOT believe that the Annemann and Corinda texts are dated and thus the material is only of historical value. They contain most of the major principles in mentalism. The presentations can be dated, sure, and there are some newer methods that have been created to accomplish the same effects. But you can stick only with these two books and be able to build quite a few very impressive acts that will work today. (Check out Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles for proof.)

Beyond those two, I'd next recommend:
Maximum Entertainment -- A mentalist must know how to work an audience and maintain a solid stage persona. A magician can hide behind flashy techniques and visual wow. A mentalist can not. Therefore, this book by Ken Weber is essential.

The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy -- His up-to-date theories and classic effects puts this book right there with Annemann and Corinda.

After that, most of what you list is good. I would also add Mentalism Inc by Chuck Hickok and Theater of the Mind by Barrie Richardson.

-- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind THE LAZY MENTALIST'S CARD TRICK is now available!!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6320 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Personally, I'd say that with the three books you've mentioned you would have a wealth of knowledge and can easily make a career with what is in those books.

If I had to add:
Psychological Subtleties
Prism
Mentalism Incorporated
Maximum Entertainment
And any of Osterlind's essays or pamphlets that he has put out through the years.
Stunners Plus & Szyzgy will give you lots of ideas & routines.
Mind Warp
And just about anything that John Riggs puts out.

You don't need them all, and I still think you could do a fantastic show just with the three books you mentioned... but those would be my additions to a library.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I would also like to ask.what are the actual classic books of mentalism?i mean I heard derren browns lift was inspired by a classic of mentalism.however I have never seen anything like it in print.so what books contain the classics like this.heres what ive bought and read so far. luke jermay 7 deceptions
luke jermay building blocks
luke jermay 8th manouvre
13 steps to mentalism corinda
practical mental magic
m.i.n.d. lee earle
stunners plus larry becker
art of mentalism cassidy
artful mentalism cassidy
mentalism inc. chuck hickok
encyclopedica of mentalism vol 1 -3 hull
psycological sublties banachek.
prism max mavern
explicit content sean fields
full facts of cold reading ian rowland
and an assortment of manuals ian rowland lecture notes,al mann acidus plus,al mann ceromentics,val andrews unfaked book test, bolvian brain bafflers .dvds banachek psi 1-4 ,max mavern videomind 1-3.
however apart from encyclopedica of mentalism by hull.which contains the impossible lift.lulu hurst broom test etc.i have never come across anymore works with, as I mentioned old chestnuts like lift that have been updated.any suggestions? thanks paul.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Stop buying books and save your money!

However, if you really, really do have to buy anything else then get something that'll be useful for improving your performances - Something like 'Strong Magic' or 'Maxium Entertainment' should do the trick.

You can buy books until the cows come home but at some point you need to get out and perform in the real world. Pick six effects and work on them until you've got them down and then you'll be set.

Socrates

"There comes a moment when you have to stop reving up the car and shove it into gear" - David Mahoney Smile
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 13:12, Socrates wrote:
Stop buying books and save your money!

However, if you really, really do have to buy anything else then get something that'll be useful for improving your performances - Something like 'Strong Magic' or 'Maxium Entertainment' should do the trick.

You can buy books until the cows come home but at some point you need to get out and perform in the real world. Pick six effects and work on them until you've got them down and then you'll be set.

Why not just get your 6 effects down, by stuff, practice that stuff along with your current 6 (which may be what you had meant).

If you can handle the information in books I say keep it up (though some people do buy a ridiculous amount at times.)

Scott
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
I'm not buying books just to buy books but I want to learn more and books are the only way I have to learn. Aren't there several other classical mentalism books that SHOULD be read after the 13 Steps to Mentalism and Practical Mental Magic? It seems like after these two books mentalists go off into different directions...

I want to thank everybody for their advice and help. There are just so many classical mentalist books out there that I'm not sure which one to purchase. I wish that I could just sit down and go through several of the new popular mentalist books but that is not possible. That would probably be the best way to make a decision but I'm still not sure which direction to take.

Thanks everyone.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
waltsal
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of waltsal
The World of Super Mentalism by Larry Becker gives you a lot of bang for the buck.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 09:44, waltsal wrote:
The World of Super Mentalism by Larry Becker gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

Can the information be found in Stunners Plus?
Thanks! Scott B.

magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Point taken however I absorb information extremely well.id love just to add to my knowledge and collection some of the classic effects of mentalism.i like to invent things for myself however sometimes as someone said on hear you end up re inventing the wheel.maybe I may end up buying every book in my quest.thanks paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Other "Classic" Mentalist Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL