The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question About Marked Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I was going to buy "Demon Deck" by Larry Becker, but I wanted to asked here first. What marked deck would you guys say is the best? Another question is, does any of you guys use a marked deck along with a BCS stacking? Where do you get your routines? DVD's, Books? The reason why I wanted a marked deck is because I wanted to do some powerful Mentalism without touching the cards a lot. Not only because it would look like more mind reading but I have arthritis in my wrists and I can't do sleights. So, I guess what I'm asking is, what's your choice for a marked deck?

Also, I don't know what the difference is between all the marked decks out there. I don't know the pros and cons. Like what has the most potential and things like that.
§kitch
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Ted Lesley's marked deck is swell, as is his routine "spectator as mindreader," which uses the deck.
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Buy the book titled "Marked for Life." It is full of great information about marked decks and the pros and cons of each various marking system. If you want a system that is easy to read, check out Boris Wild's system. It is similar to Lesley's but I like it better.

Cheers,

Tiki
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
The Demon Deck may very well be worth a look, some nice work has gone in to this.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Kennedy, That's what I've heard about the Demon Deck, but then again there isn't much info on it either.

Also, is the book Marked For Life routines too? Or just a booked giving information about different marked decks?

Any other ideas on marked decks? And other books or DVD's that give powerful routines for these decks?
§kitch
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3009 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I have used the Ted Lesley marking system for many years and it has worked very well for me.

As mentioned above, the "Marked for Life" book has some interesting ideas.

You will find that effects with a marked deck are peppered here and there without a sort of a bible of sorts available.

My own book, The Black School, has a few routines using a marked deck.

Boris Wild has a marked deck similar to Lesley's and can include a book with some interesting routines as well.
fudge
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of fudge
Boris wilds marking system is also very nice
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Hello Skitch,

Ted Lesley has a DVD titled “Cabaret Mindreading”. If I remember correctly, one of the effects is about having the volunteer as a mind reader. “Marked for Life” has a nice variety of effects. Besides, your imagination is the limit.

Lesley’s deck is IMHO, the easiest and fastest to spot. Some people here will cry that the method is to obvious, but in my experience, and the experience of many others, the method is almost undetectable. (I say “almost” because any method in this world can be detected). I have had people staring at the back of the cards, looking in vane for inexistent marks.

My only “complain” about some of Lesley’s methods is that almost always you end up needing 12 dwarfs in a workshop doing some gimmick for you. (12 dwarfs and a bearded old guy... you do the math Smile ) But his deck is extremely simple.

You can arrange it in the BCS, or any other way you like. The Demon Deck has the advantage of the method has also been arranged in the BCS system. This may induce you to think there is no need of memorizing the BCS, but I think Osterlind’s system is so easy that you are going to end up knowing it even if you try not to. Still, the Demon deck will help you to save the rapid calculation, if you don’t feel comfortable doing it.

The small devils on the back are nice, also.

Other decks you may consider, if you like ESP symbols, are the Symbology Deck and Beyond ESP2, which I think has the best “detection” system.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Demon is very clever. its a deck which serves a thousand purposes. its not just a marked deck.

Boris Wild's deck is very nice too, very clever. I used to use both, depending on which one I grabbed out of my case.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Thank you guys, you've given me a lot of information.

Kennedy, question, you said the Demon Deck has serves different purposes. What did you mean? Also, does the booklet tell me how to put it back in BCS stacking and last but not least, can the SPEC shuffle the deck? So, I guess this is the most versatile marked deck with extra something (BCS stack)
§kitch
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Just for the record, Demon Deck is stacked in the BCS. Each card is clearly marked in 2 ways. For the card itself and for the one previous to it in the stack. That way, you can do a standard peek and know what card they are looking at immediately. If they withdraw a card or cards, you can place the deck face down on the table and know (from the top card's markings) what card/s were withdrawn.

Richard
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Thank you guys, you've given me a lot of information. Thank you espcially Richard!!! Is it hard to learn the marking and remember the BCS stacking? See, I don't know what effects or routines people do with a BCS stacking, so I don't know what to look for.

enriqueenriquez, I was looking at Beyond ESP2 as well. But I want to learn a lot of effect or routines with a marked deck with a BCS stacking too. My knowledge is very litmited right now of what effects and or routines can be done with a marked deck or a BCS stacking because of the arthritis in my wrists, but I will hopefully with the help of you guys, will soon learn. If of course some of you don't mind.

Kennedy, question, you said the Demon Deck has serves different purposes. What did you mean? Also, does the booklet tell me how to put it back in BCS stacking and last but not least, can the SPEC shuffle the deck? So, I guess this is the most versatile marked deck with extra something (BCS stack)
§kitch
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1516 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Skitch,
My favorite marked deck is the Ted Lesley deck, very visible marks but (for some reason) impossible to see if you are not aware they are there.
If you want to really have some fun John Cornelius came out with his marked deck called "The Dream Deck" the marks on the back are about 2 inches high and can be read from a great distance using his supplied gimmick, this is really a neat deck if you were to make your own gimmick, which is readily available.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Skitch I was taling abut how it is stacked (BCS) marked in two ways as well as one way back design (subtle) A lot of thought has gone into this, and I was overwhelmed when I foudn it used Richards BCS!!!

Best,
Kennedy

enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Skitch,

Generally, the volunteer can’t really shuffle any stack. You should indicate them to cut the deck.

Now, this is just my opinion, but in mentalism, you should try to avoid an excessive shuffling of your deck/decks. There is a subtext in asking someone to mix a deck that feels like magic. Besides, it implies a challenge: you are asking your volunteer to make it hard for you, instead of helping you, which IMHO would be the desirable thing to ask for. After all, telepathy is a hard and subtle process. You need them working with you in order to succeed.

Just my two cents.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2037 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Skitch:

It's not hard to memorize the BCS stack. It takes a little time to wrap your mind around the formula at first, but once you get it it's pretty simple; just a matter of practice. Actually, you don't memorize the order, you memorize a formula.
burgerinc
View Profile
Regular user
Sin City
196 Posts

Profile of burgerinc
I really hadn't been looking for another marked deck but I think I will have to look into this one!
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 10:38, jimtron wrote:
Skitch:

It's not hard to memorize the BCS stack. It takes a little time to wrap your mind around the formula at first, but once you get it it's pretty simple; just a matter of practice. Actually, you don't memorize the order, you memorize a formula.

It was a bit of both for me. You do memorize the formula, but there are a few things about the order of certain cards that helped me a lot. I have memorized the BCS to a certain extent. I'm sure That I will have the order completely memorized soon.

A marked BCS deck would likely prove to be lethal.
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
For a non stacked deck I really like the Penn and Teller deck. It has a mark that's so obvious no one spots it.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
Oh yah, I second the "spectator as mindreader" effect with Lesley's marked deck. its one of my best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question About Marked Decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL