The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question About Marked Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I guess the next question would be, what books and DVD's solely provide marked deck routines? Problem is, I bought Larry Becker's Deck because not a lot of Magicians have it and or know much about it. So, is it possible to get Lesley's routine of "Spectator As Mindreader"
§kitch
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Just a small point.
if your audience management skills are not good enough or you perform for friends mainly. the first thing that a spectator does (IF he suspects a marked deck) is to riffle through the cards, to see something "jumps". This is very very common, much more than the average magician/mentalist would like to think. people know this stuff.
in that aspect the demon deck fails. as mentioned before get "marked for life" for really nice ideas on how to mark a deck and what to do with it.
N.

p.s. and yes there are ways to mark a deck in a totally clear way that would not show during a riffle.
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Well, from what I heard from people who have the Demon Deck, it can't be spotted PLUS it looks like a regular Bicycle deck, that's why it was taken off the market. Now, that's why I'm looking for books and or DVD's for routines. Not a book that will help me mark my own deck, because pretty much hard to do deatiled work with my hands.

If a thread concerning books & or DVD's for marked deck routines already has been addressed, if someone could give me the link that would be great. Couldn't find much for routines on the search feature.
§kitch
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1280 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Quote:
if your audience management skills are not good enough or you perform for friends mainly. the first thing that a spectator does (IF he suspects a marked deck) is to riffle through the cards, to see something "jumps". This is very very common, much more than the average magician/mentalist would like to think. people know this stuff.
in that aspect the demon deck fails.

Does the deck really fail or does the performer fail?

Since the deck is an inanimate object it either works or it doesn't work. If it works for some people and not others, than it can either be due to a faulty deck or more likely, a faulty performer.

Perhaps the performer should bone up on their audience management skills. Sometimes we have to take responsibility for our failures and shortcomings and work to improve THOSE SKILLS rather than searching for that holy grail of magic that will make us a star.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 14:13, Nir Dahan wrote:
Just a small point.
the first thing that a spectator does (IF he suspects a marked deck) is to riffle through
the cards, to see something "jumps". This is very very common, much more than the average magician/mentalist would like to think. people know this stuff.

Hi Nir
I understand the above but I don't understand what you mean by 'marked for life'

in that aspect the demon deck fails. as mentioned before get "marked for life" for really nice ideas on how to mark a deck and what to do with it.
N.
p.s. and yes there are ways to mark a deck in a totally clear way that would not show during a riffle.

Perhaps you could explain a bit more?
Cheers
TJ

Quote:
On 2005-04-26 18:57, Skitch wrote:
If a thread concerning books & or DVD's for marked deck routines already has been addressed, if someone could give me the link that would be great. Couldn't find much for routines on the search feature.

I don't think you will find much revealing routines on the Café
but I would like to see details of books or tapes about 'stack' work in mentalism
PLEASE no Poker deal stuff LOL
Skitch, Max Maven/Phil Goldstein is an excellent scource for Mental card effects
using set ups
Perhaps the Demon Deck is good for some of them
TJ
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
I've been using the pro-M deck for 6 years. It's awesome. Insanely easy to read but impossible to uncover even if a spectator is looking for marks.

I am planning on picking up a Demon Deck too.
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Quote:
On 2005-04-26 14:13, Nir Dahan wrote:
Just a small point.
N.

Well, I've talked to Magicians - Mentalist's who have the "Demon Deck" and it's never failed them nor do spectator find the markings. Besides, like you said, if you don't have control of the spectator and what your doing, then almost any trick, effect or gimmick can be figured out. If this deck wasn't taken off the market, I think this would have been the best marked deck out there (Without creating your own) and it's set up with the BCS.

Besides, it's from Larry Becker, can't ask for anything better.
§kitch
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
. If this deck wasn't taken off the market, I think this would have been the best marked deck out there

Has it (Demon Deck) been taken off the market?
Cheers
TJ
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
749 Posts

Profile of Roki
I like Boris Wildes deck as the marks are placed where you can see them in a ribbon spread which allows a lot of flexibility. On the point of Specs looking at the back of cards. I have had that and they havent seen the marks although to me they are clear.They just werent certain that it was a marked deck as the trick didn't telegraph it . I think the point is don't do a trick that screams marked cards. I.E you know what it is from just handling it or looking at it.
I got my first marked deck to do a trick I,d thought of where I reverse a card in my pack and tell the spectator that they will now be compelled to reverse the same card in theirs. But to try and use their free will if they can.
The trick is mentioned on Borises video and I thoought Id made it up of my own free will! . All Boris' tricks take the mind away from the idea of a marking mechanism.
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
Yes, the Demon Deck has been taken off the market. The reason why is, the backs of the cards are the same as a Bicycle expect for one VERY small difference. There is a website where I found this deck at, but I don't know if he has anymore. Unless you mark a regular Bicycle deck, this would have been the best out there. Because when I take my deck out of a Bicycle box, wow, you can not tell a thing + it's set up with the BCS.
§kitch
Murfmind
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Murfmind
For me the Lesley deck works great. I have never had anyone spot the markings. Everyone tries to come up with better markings but maybe it's just magicians' guilt that is driving them.
The first time I saw the Lesley deck I was told it was marked and my friend gave me a card and said to find the marking. I couldn't. When he pointed it out to me I could't believe I didn't see it.
Highly recommend it. Murf
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I also to have the Lesley deck, also signed by Mr. Lesley himself. He has a wonderful deck, you will get no argument from me. The reason why I like Larry Becker's Demon Deck, is because it looks exactly like a Bicycle deck and it comes with the BCS. A lot of the marked decks aren't used with a Bicycle looking deck. It looks so much like a Bicycle deck, that's why it got banned. Another reason why this is a nice deck to have, is because a lot of Magicians - Mentalist never had the chance to really get their hands on this deck. I'm not saying that SOME don't have it, but I'm sure if this deck was used compared to another marked deck to a Magician and or a Mentalist, they would not suspect a thing with Larry Becker's Deck, seeming how it looks like a Bicycle Deck.
§kitch
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
It's worth mentioning that a distinct advantage of using the Lesley deck, over and above the fact that the markings are both conspicuous and hard to detect, is that it passes the riffle test, the way most peoiple would do the riffle. i.e. when riffle-forcing a card.
Alan
alakazam!
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of alakazam!
Get the Boris Wild deck! I am admittedly biased (this is the only marked deck I have) but at the same you won't be disappointed. It's very, very useable.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I've always liked the Demon Deck myself, and I have ebook about how to mark a bike deck for advantage play on the market, but I like the 'special something' about the Demon.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
With my eyesight the way it is, I prefer the Leslie deck over the Wild deck. I'd rather look in one spot and not have to bounce back and forth.

The SUM and the Demon Decks are great!

I also use my own marking system.

Tony
BERMINI
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of BERMINI
My eyes too are weak even with my glasses (old age). My preference is the Ultimate Marked deck with the Lesley deck a close second choice. Cannot handle the Wild deck. The idea is good but there should be no reason why a spectator should suspect anything especially if the deck is only used for one effect and used wisely.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2179 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Ok, so how does the Le Jeu Marque ultimate magic dream marked deck "stack up" against B. Wild? - now that Demon is only at a few dealers?
Hansen
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
653 Posts

Profile of Hansen
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1133 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 11:09, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
With my eyesight the way it is, I prefer the Leslie deck over the Wild deck. I'd rather look in one spot and not have to bounce back and forth.

The SUM and the Demon Decks are great!

I also use my own marking system.

Tony

This is an important point. I prefer Lesley's for the same reason. Another marked deck that is worth considering is the "Ultimate Marked Deck". Printed on Bicycles and very well hidden marks. The mark is always in the same position so, again, it avoids the problem with the Wild system of having to search for the marks. Not quite as easy to read as Lesley's but almost.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question About Marked Decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL