The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Small But Deadly, Paul Harris REVIEW PLEASE! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sooty
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
140 Posts

Profile of Sooty
I love this book.

The mix of history, cross referencing and actual effects is something I'd like to see more of in magic publications. Good job Paul.

Just as an aside my copy contained a misprint, pages 89 - 98 were a completely different book, nothing related to magic, something about Labor reforms through the ages!

I took it back to Davenports where I bought it from and the lovely Betty said she'd swap it when they get more in stock.

Paul, please would send more her way.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7007 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I have been plowing through this book over the past couple of days and it is indeed excellent. Some really interesting and enlightening info contained within these pages. Plus some great effects to boot.

Although I have to disagree with one thing; in my experience, "Reset" does play very well for lay people. I don't even do it with any special patter. I just say something like, "Watch what happens when I give the cards a shake...." People eat it up as it's very visual and extremely magical. Again, this is my experience.

Other than that, I think Paul (Hallas) is on the money with most of his observations Smile

Excellent book!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Glad you finally discovered the book Cameron, and revived this old thread from the depths.

Re: "Plus some great effects to boot."

Yep, those that actually do go out and perform recognise a commercial effect when they see one.

Re: "..in my experience, "Reset" does play very well for lay people."

But when you do it, it has your enigmatic personality and acting skills to go with it Smile It could be said that any effect that amuses and cannot be figured out plays well for lay people, but some feel just that little bit more complete and 'wholesome'. Everything has its place. I did briefly use the Jason Randall version.

Good luck with your DVD project.

Paul.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Thanks for your input, Mr. Harris.
ME
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 12:09, Mark Ennis wrote:
Thanks for your input, Mr. Harris.

And as always, thanks for yours Mark Smile:)
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7007 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Paul, very true.

Although I can say that as a "worker" I have found that there are some effects that mystify lay people but are not very good effects. Those would be in no particular order:

Hydrochloric Acid In The Eye
Vomit On Spectator's Lapel
The Humiliating Wart
The 21 Card Trick
Guess The Poop
Card Thru Jugular

But seriously, folks...

I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves card magic period as it not only covers marketed packet tricks but also popular tricks done with normal cards.

A very good buy!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 15:32, Cameron Francis wrote:

Guess The Poop

I have the 'real work' on this (based on an old Vernon/Marlo/Bunionette/Pishfastner/Hardknober idea) and believe me, it can play VERY well if handled correctly!

Dave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Small But Deadly, Paul Harris REVIEW PLEASE! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL