The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bicycle cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mistake1039
View Profile
New user
Chester, UK
3 Posts

Profile of mistake1039
Pardon my ignorance what exactly are bicycle cards? Are they merely a brand of cards or are they gimmicked in some way?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Bicycle cards are playing cards made buy the United states playing card company. These are a very common brand card here in america. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you are probally not in the US.
mistake1039
View Profile
New user
Chester, UK
3 Posts

Profile of mistake1039
No I am from the UK and so have not really heard of these cards before. So these are just regular playing cards that I could easily get an equivalent here in the UK?
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Yes, although available in gimmicks, they are and have bben a popular brand of playing card in the states for over a century. Many forms of back designs usually depicting a bicycle or bicycles in some fashion.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Because a lot of card tricks that require special gaffed cards are invented and produced in the US, these gimmicked cards are made of Bicycle Cards. But to perform card tricks with sleight of hands, you don't need necessarily Bicycles.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Quote:
On 2005-04-25 11:44, mistake1039 wrote:
No I am from the UK and so have not really heard of these cards before. So these are just regular playing cards that I could easily get an equivalent here in the UK?

yeah, you can buy bicycle cards in the uk, asda is your best bet. only 1.50 a deck.

ollie
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
The boxes look something like this:

:bikes: Smile
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
I think there are two or three Costco's here in the UK that you can also buy them from. They come in boxes of 12 for £13.85 at the last visit.

I heard they sold them in Asda but by the time I got to my nearest one the whole stand had sold out. Bloody magicians!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Bicycle cards are the current favorite with magicians here in the United States. At one time the favored card was Aviator (also made by the U.S. Playing Card Company) and a ton of gaffs were manufactured by Haines House of Cards to match. Now the most recognized and used playing card is the Bicycle brand, and dutifully any special use cards are made to match them.

A number of years ago I did a survey on the wild and wooly "Alt Magic" a site where magicians flame magicians and manners and decorum were optional. It can still be found on-line if you put my name in Google and search through the various headings at the top.

Alt magic was tough to keep people on track since every third or forth post someone would get way off topic and I' have to restart it but the results were 98% chose Bicycle cards, 0% Aviator (a sad demise for a great card) and the last 2% were in order of appearance Tally Ho, Bee, and a few very obscure one's only one of which I remember Texas 45's.

Red was the overwhelming color of choice 78% with only 22% opting for blue and 100% chose poker over bridge width. This survey was done back in April of 2001.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
My first svengalli deck was made of Aviator brand. that's what I used for a long time up until about a year ago.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
And when you use different cards, people will ask you why you now have changed the cards - they will say to you - magic cards, hm....

so you need only one brand ,and it is obvious that bicycles are the first choice for magicians. that's called tipping effect....

magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Okay, I am wondering now,if anyone here knows other places,than what has been listed, to buy cards in bulk on the net???
Alson
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
... although most people I have shown bicycle cards to think they are magical/gaffed magicians cards because the only time they see them over here is in the hands of a magician and not over a poker table or other games as Waddingtons Number 1 cards are the most popular to laymen here.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Then by all means use Waddington’s Number 1 Cards. The only reason magicians use Bicycle is they are standard, recognized by card players, and people often have a deck of ragged, dog eared, thumb licked pack in the kitchen junk drawer.

As for switching between brands of decks, while that may look suspicious within a close-up set, I think using differing brands from one set to another would be okay.

I carry both Aviator and Bicycle and will switch off from time to time. Then I am not that much into cards so I may do one or two effect with cards in a set.

Frank Tougas

P.S. - Other than a discount store such as Costco or Sam's Clubs, who occasionally have great deals on playing cards, I'd probably contact Haines House of Cards for bulk quantities of Bicycle Brand cards.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
PhatDad
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of PhatDad
Quote:
Then by all means use Waddington’s Number 1 Cards.

If they weren't so crap I probably would. Smile
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
They're just a brand of cards that a lot of magicians like to use.
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
montag
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
8 Posts

Profile of montag
I would have to say that the Bicycle deck is the best better if in black
with death comes new life
never seek sanctuary were the devil is king
if you love something let it go, if it loves you it will come back

john plumadore
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
You mean the black inverse deck montag? Yeah that would be really cool if they would sell them in regular stores.
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I still perfer my Tactical Field Bikes, talley Ho's, Vipers, And Tigers
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I think while the black decks are "cool" looking they would scream MAGIC FAKED DECK to any one not affiliated with magic, and you'd have a hard time convincing them that it wasn't true. Heck, decks with puppies printed on the back from the Dollar Store would be easier for a spectator to accept.

Frank Tougas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Bicycle cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL