The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Repair, replace, or upgrade? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I recently purchased Blizzard by Dean Dill. My toddler got ahold of it, and ripped the gimmick. I think I can glue it back together, but it will still look like it was ripped and glued, and while that wouldn't mean anything in and of itself, why would someone bother to reglue a ***? I am afraid it would put undo heat on the ***, which to perform Blizzard, bold as it is, is not preferable to me. (I am trying as hard as I can not to expose the workings, but it's well known enough that you can figure out what I mean if you have/know the effect.)

So..... I can always buy another, but $25 twice for one effect, not so fond of the idea.

I can try to contact Mr. Dill to see if I can buy just that piece as a replacement at a lesser price, but I doubt he or a wholesaler has them sitting around in pieces. The set is the set.

I am considering the purchase of a metal d*** s****. I've seen other threads about them, and it would/could work for this effect, and I know there are others I can use it for. Blizzard performers: money aside, would you prefer a d*** s****? Is it convincing looking? What I love about the Blizzard method is that even though it's flimsy, and my toddler can destroy it, it doesn't look in any way suspicious.

Or, I can try to make my own just like the ripped one. Trouble is, the one that comes with blizzard is ever so slightly larger than a regular, making the execution smoother. How to create this reality just modifying it off the shelf, eludes me.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't think Dean has special cases printed, so you should be able to modify an ordinary one easily. As far as the ethics of making your own is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it in this case. You bought a legitimate version and with it received performance rights. As long as you are just replacing worn pieces of the trick for your own use, I think you are well within the line of fairness to Dean Dill.

Thanks,
Richard
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I wasn't at all worried about the ethics, I know I'm covered in spades, I just wondered about the mechanical end.

You're probably right - special cases would be bizarrely expensive, but it is possible he got flat, un-folded cases, and then had them folded a slight bit bigger, which is not an option available to me with intact, whole cases. I'd be undoing a corner and making a new one within a tiny space. Even with a fantastic straight edge tool, not sure how to make this work. Just cutting a case leaves me with a tight fit, not helpful for the effect.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
The d*** s**** is slightly larger than normal...that is mentioned in the instructions. I'd imagagine it has to be larger in order to facilitate "the move."

Incidentally, I was at Dean's Shoppe the other day and he was telling me about alternate ways of presenting the effect. Can't say too much without giving it away, but PM me if you're interested.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22771 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
D*** S**** are available in metal now. See here:

http://www.chazpro.com/Product_Line/Product_Line3.html

Chezpro is the original inventor of the this gimmick as far as making it.

Your toddler will not be able to tear it. Your other choice is to tear apart your original and scan it with your computer scanner and print on good card stock.
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Cardsbymartin also makes a good ds
Logic Defied
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Repair, replace, or upgrade? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL