The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to bring a dead horse back to life. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
I'm sure many of us could go on for many paragraphs on the subject of whether or not to use playing cards in a mentalism routine. I don't intend to do that on this thread, it would merely be the beating of a dead horse. Let's go with the idea that some of us use playing cards to great effect, while others would rather "chew on a cactus than touch a deck of cards" (to quote Mr. Rowland, SOT). Those of you who don't like cards, carry on. Much respect to you, and your opinions. There are many threads here (such as numerous PK touches discussions) that you should travel on to!

For those still here, there is a reason this post is not in the "pick a card" forum. I'm curious; what do you think is the single most jaw dropping (from the layman's P.O.V.) MENTALISM effect that can be performed with a deck of cards? I'll give you my answer in a bit, so as not to influence the first few posts. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say! Smile
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
Has to be "Out of this world"

Andrew
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
The nominees are:

Out Of This World by Paul Curry
Histed Heisted by Simon Aronson
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind by Dai Vernon
Pro-Monition by Ted Lesley
Blindfold Card Act by Al Koran

And the winner is...

Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
From what I hear Berglas Any card any number is pretty heavy.

/bamba
promethee
View Profile
Regular user
France
125 Posts

Profile of promethee
Quote:
On 2002-10-07 10:36, Uli Weigel wrote:
The nominees are:
Out Of This World by Paul Curry

I agree with Out of this world; it's very strange, but I saw lay people watching and watching again many times, without understanding how it could be done; the effect is so clean... no strange moves at all!

Quote:
And the winner is...

I'm not familiar with this, could you explain the effect?
La fleur de l'illusion produit le fruit de la realite.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I used to use an effect where by... performer tells if card is red or black with blindfold or with person standing behind dealing cards off one by one and holding them up. No way the performer could see them. Then person is asked to deal cards face up, stop at one they feel drawn to and hold it up. Performer names colour then finally name of card. Before that he takes out and holds up small envelope, inside is the card that the person stopped at.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
My good friend Barrie Richardson has in his book vorious versions of the "Any Card At Any Number"-plot. Check that, it´s GREAT!
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Wait until his book comes out, but my understanding is that Berglas's method would not work in a mentalism show (to understand why, you have to know his method, which I am assured is in the pending book).

Besides, I still don't get how that effect is mentalism, to open what I'm sure is a whole 'nother can of worms.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
ThomasWTaylor
View Profile
New user
San Antonio
10 Posts

Profile of ThomasWTaylor
The Tossed-out Deck and Chronologue. Both are "hands-off" and impossible in appearance, if done properly. Anything where the performer never handles the cards is much stronger.
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Wow! Some great responses here! My favorite is the Tossed Out Deck, but that's because I'm mainly a stage mentalist. Remember, we are talking about amazing to the layman here. OOTW certainly is amazing. And if presented right, I'm sure we've made more than a few people curse loudly with a brainwave deck, am I right?
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
In that I am one of those that loathe Playing Cards in a Psychic styled show (but secretly uses them anyway...) I have to go with (Correction on an above mention) PREMONITION (originated by George Armstrong; originally released in 1948 by Eddie Joseph via Abbott's and in 49 by Armstrong himself in London. The Lesley notes in PARAMIRACLES do lend strong assistance in simplifying the handling however.) I also use this set-up for my version of the old "Imaginary Deck" made popular by Fogel.

The Tossed Out Deck is also a kicker in a half!

Recently I have revived another Eddie Joseph favorite of mine known as "Mail Mentalism" (a version of this bit will be in the 73rd Hour Program available to all attending the 72-Hour event next week in New Hampshire.)

Those that love cards & mentalism might want to research other Joseph documents. His "BOMBAY" deck is awesome! As are some of his "over the phone" bits (though old and a bit complicated when compared to the newer materials from Lewis and of course Mr. Busch and Banachek.)
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Quote:
On 2002-10-07 12:42, Andy Leviss wrote:
Wait until his book comes out, but my understanding is that Berglas's method would not work in a mentalism show (to understand why, you have to know his method, which I am assured is in the pending book).

Besides, I still don't get how that effect is mentalism, to open what I'm sure is a whole 'nother can of worms.

I don't know how it was written up in the book, but based upon how it was presented on the Martin Breese interview CD of Berglass, it comes off very much like a thought control experiment. The implication is that whatever is offered up in terms of card or number must surely be what Berglass wanted you to say. It was very cool, and certainly mentalism in the way it played.

--Christopher Carter
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Invisible deck. Kills 'em every time.
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Ted's red and black test is quite incredible. Soooooo easy yet so devestating.

I also like Eddie Joseph's Staggered.

Enjoy!
Rex
kou
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of kou
Not to beat a dead horse but...

Out of this World has consistently gotten a strong reaction every time I've performed it.

Also, Harry Lorayne has a very simple effect called "Is this mindreading?" in Close-Up Card Magic that participants really freak out over. It's a credit to him, as the method is so, well, simple.

And, finally, the obligatory (and well-deserved) Derren Brown nomination: his psychological "Think of a Card" forces, as well as his invisible dealing effect (which is also covered, albeit a bit diiferently, as "Truly Invisible" in one of the Wonder Words volumes) are jaw-droppingly good. (He also does a great version of OOTW, bringing things back full circle...)
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
Regarding the Berglas "card trick"

Quote:
On 2002-10-07 12:42, Andy Leviss wrote:

Correct.

Telepathy. Specifically: Thought Projection.

Real AMAZING Thought Projection.

My vote for best Card Trick is also "Out of This World" (Bernstein's sick and twisted version).

Sn!per
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Both OOTW and Harry Lorayne have been mentioned in this thread. Coincidentally, in his little booklet named "My Favorite Card Tricks" he has an impromptu OOTW. That's right, folks. Borrowed, shuffled deck. Same plot, same outcome, but imagine picking up your friend's dog eared Budweiser cards and doing this effect!
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Personally I don't see too much problem with using cards. They are recognisable by everyone. As long as your act doesn't turn into a card act then I think it's fine... I would say though, it is best to limit it to only one 'card trick' presented as mentalism and you should do something that is as hands-off as possible.

OOTW fits this bill well and can be adapted for lots of different situations (although I do have some issues with it which I won't go on about)

Another favourite is Max Maven's 'The Mockingbird' which appears, if presented with care, to be nothing but pure telepathy. Fantastic and of 'terrifying beauty.'

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Max Maven
View Profile
V.I.P.
262 Posts

Profile of Max Maven
Quote:
On 2002-10-07 15:36, Darmoe wrote:
In that I am one of those that loathe Playing Cards in a Psychic styled show (but secretly uses them anyway...) I have to go with (Correction on an above mention) PREMONITION (originated by George Armstrong; originally released in 1948 by Eddie Joseph via Abbott's and in 49 by Armstrong himself in London.

"Premonition" was invented by neither of the above-mentioned people; it was created by Bill McCaffrey, and can be found in _Greater Magic_ under its original title, "Prize Winner." (I may have misspelled "McCaffrey" as at the moment I am several thousand miles away from my library.)
wiggys
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of wiggys
I've mentioned this trick before, but you basically write down the name of a card on a borrowed piece of paper and seal it in a borrowed envelope (which you mark "Sealed Prediction") while the spectator shuffles their own pack of cards.

You get them to put the cards on the table and cut the deck a couple of times. You plop the envelope on the cards and go over what has happened, pointing out that you haven't touched the cards the whole time (they're not even your cards so they're not gimmicked).

You ask the spectator to pick up the envelope (you back away so there's no trickery) and remove the prediction. Ask them to read it out loud. "You will choose the six of clubs"

They list off the top card and...

You can guess the rest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to bring a dead horse back to life. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL