The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to bring a dead horse back to life. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mahlstrom
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mahlstrom
Ted Lesley has two-phase card routine (I guess it's in his lecture notes) involving a cell phone:

Two people (one random, one known to an audience member) are called and reveal the chosen card and it's location in the deck.
Talk about making a card trick play big!

-Mahlstrom
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Well, I'm not several thousand miles away from my library.
In fact I'm so close to my books that I can tell you that the Prize Winner by William H. McCAFFREY can be found on pages 564-566 in Greater Magic.
Right now I have only two card routines that I do.
One is my own version of B'wave {by Phil Goldstein}.
The other one is a version of Premonition.
In fact, I use only one deck in it.
Not only that but I also give it to the spectator before she/he makes her/his mental choice.

Yaniv Deautsch
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Max and Yaniv are quite right about Bill McCaffrey's Prize Winner being the original of Premonition. I can remember my disappointment when, after having bought Premonition, I found I already had the same effect and method in my library and had had it for years. Bleah!
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
376 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Oh, I forgot to mention a favourite prediction 'card trick' of mine. Synchronicity III (accreditation I have for that is Michael Pizzola, published by Tannens).

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
If I may chime in, my three favorite routines use no cards at all:
1) Derren Brown's "Invisible Deal"
2) "The Real Thing" from my ancient book "Shared Thoughts"
* [Effect: spectators simply think of cards. You tell them what they are.]
3) A full audience card effect to be found in Ted Karmilovich's upcoming book.

*Sorry, Andy, the title preceded your column by a few years Smile
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
How about this one:
You take out a deck of cards, ribbon spread them on the table. They are in new deck order. You turn your back. -From this point on you never see the cards- Spectator shuffles, spreads the cards, just looks at one, then puts them away. You then "read his mind" and tell him the card he's thinking of.
"Hallmark", T.A. Waters, Mind Myth and Magic.
I do like the no card card tricks though, thanks for the references, Bob.
Regards,
Victor
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Bob did you notice that I have sent you a Private Message some time ago?

Yaniv Deautsch
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Gee, I got here late for this discussion but my two faves have already been mentioned. Although many of the others must be considered serious contenders. Those two are Maven's Mockingbird and Brown's Invisible Deal. Both are impossible. Absolutely impossible.

I keep tryng to get away from cards. Honest I do. But every time I swear them off, I come across something like one of those and I'm reeled back in. And now I'm really curious about Bob Baker's "The Real Thing." Oh, the pain of it all!
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
For us who don't use playing cards (I'm one), it's important to realize that eventually we will be asked to show our powers while handed a deck (e.g at the poker table or so).

What should we do then?

Ie... which of the above can be done with a regular deck and minimal prep? (And actually it mustn't require continuous sleight of hand practicing either, so I guess Mr Brown's stuff won't do it...)

'Out of this world' is one...

Thanks
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Try "Par-Optic Vision" in Anneman's Practical Mental Effects.
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Quote from Matias:
For us who don't use playing cards (I'm one), it's important to realize that eventually we will be asked to show our powers while handed a deck (e.g at the poker table or so).

What should we do then?

If you are handed a deck of cards in a poker game situation, try John Mendoza's "Routine Poker Mental". Absolutely 0% preparation, 0% manipulation, and a great effect that will absolutely baffle card players.
Other than that, I agree that Par-Optic Vision is a great one; check M.Striving's version of it, which is superior to the original. But this one requires some preparation.
Another killer, with 0% prep, and 0% manipulation (in fact, assistant is the only one handling the deck) is an effect known as "Triple Prediction"; I do it in every show, without exeption, and it very easily leads to a Card Reading, which really fits the Mentalism presentation.
If you don't know this one, PM me at the following address:
mageric@wanadoo.fr
See you.
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Maurice Fogel's triple prediction is one of my favorites, I do it all the time & it always gets a great reaction.

Smile
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
Invisible Deal can be done with zero prep and zero sleights. It can also be done, for that matter, with zero cards. It is not, however, foolproof.

Also, Daryl's Untouched can be framed as mentalism. Again, no prep and no sleights. But 100% dependable. And your helper is the only one to handle the cards at all.
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
If someone hands me a deck & asks me to do something, I explain that I don't use cards in my shows, but we can try something together. Then I do the Grant (?) Impromptu Out Of This World
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
Quote:
On 2002-10-08 09:17, DonMarco wrote:
Both OOTW and Harry Lorayne have been mentioned in this thread. Coincidentally, in his little booklet named "My Favorite Card Tricks" he has an impromptu OOTW. That's right, folks. Borrowed, shuffled deck. Same plot, same outcome, but imagine picking up your friend's dog eared Budweiser cards and doing this effect!

I believe the same method is taught in Gary Ouellet's Close Up Illusions -- a better and more common book than Lorayne's My Favorite Card Tricks, though neither of them is long on mentalism.
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
Except for the occasional effect, my use of cards is minimal. I generally limit myself to one or two in a performance.
UJ
View Profile
New user
Finland
71 Posts

Profile of UJ
A very strong piece of mentalism with cards is "Nemo 1500", where the spectator deals cards face up and stops anywhere, and you not only produce the prediction card from your wallet but the name of the card is embossed on the wallet! This seems to be the effect that people talk about months after they saw it performed, and everyone is convinced that you somehow manipulated them to stop on that particular card, as impossible as it appears...

UJ
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
258 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
A favorite routine of mine that uses playing cards is the quadruple coincidence using 2 specators decks of cards. The spectator and myself select a group of cards from each of our decks and take 3 different cards from that group and they match. Plus the number of card we each picked off in the group matches as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to bring a dead horse back to life. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL