The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Where to start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi all!

Okay, after a zillion hours of practising and rehearsing I am ready to make my grand assault on the stage...but where?

I would like to do a short 10-15 min act:intro, glass of water production, and bill in lemon.

However, I'm not sure what venue to go to. Since this will be my first stage appearance I obviously won't be looking for a paid gig-maybe an open mic?

Thoughts?

django
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Ok... first things first... what's your style? General Family Audience? Adults Only? Kids Stuff? Are you wanting to be a "traditionalist" i.e. doves & gloves styled performer, or are you more commercially oriented?

Now then, breaking into the kiddie market is relatively easy (but can be brutal)... offer some free shows for area schools -- class rooms not assemblies. This field requires a see and be seen factor that's a bit above and beyond so fasten your seat belts.

If you are looking at the club/cabaret market, then find out which clubs have show cases (most do at least once a month if not once a week) and hit them all and hit them hard. You should be doing two to three clubs A NIGHT if you're in a larger city area. You want to do FRESH MATERIAL frequently in that you will be facing the same basic crowd every week... BUT, you can get away with repeating yourself by rotating 3 different acts over say a six week period.

Think smaller!

Most clubs only give you 6-8 minutes (if that much) on your first night(s) out. So you need to be able to walk out and get people's attention fast, hold that attention and generate about a dozen or so applause cue at the same time. The last applause cue MUST be a good one... you want them stomping, making lots of noise and LAUGHING if possible... get their energy up and you win!

Truthfully, you may want to start off just doing some table magic just to get the feel of things and build up a network of supporters. Then, say three months down the road, start doing the show case thing and MAKE CERTAIN YOUR REGULAR PATRONS FROM THE CLOSE UP GIG KNOW ABOUT IT... you're stacking or "padding" the audience as it were. This means that you will make the club owners happy in that YOU BRING IN BUSINESS. It also makes you look and sound good when it comes to those applause cues.

Hope this helps!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Thanx for the help-I should probably be more specific:

I've been doing walkaround for a few years now and am geared towards the older crowd. I do private parties, art functions, etc. My stage ideas are family oriented, however, a la Copperfield, etc. I don't think I'll make bill in lemon too racy! So I guess I am trying to determeine what kind of clubs to start my stage career...If I have a 6-8 min set, what kind of club am I looking at? Comedy clubs or bars don't really seem to be the place...I was thinking an open mic at a bar/club maybe. I don't want to push a whole show, I just want to try it out to see if I like it...

Thanx!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Where are you from? Are you a member of SAM or IBM? You can perform for them and they will provide honest feedback. There are many mom and pop restaurants that would let youth do several 8-10 minutes acts assuming you don't need much room. Another place would be cub scout meetings, retirement homes, classroom shows at your local school, daycares, school groups, youth groups. There are a lot of clubs that meet regulary that would love to have you do a 10 minute act. Look in your local paper or phone book. If you have a solid 8-10 minute act, it really shouldn't be hard to find an audience for no fee. Once you have established a reputation, then begin charging a fee. Don't expect anyone to pay you unless you have experience and you can manage an audience. Some people have a natural ability, others can learn it, and sadly some others just don't have it in them although they dream of being a performer and think it's easy. It's not, it's hard work, but a lot of fun if your material is solid and you truely like people. Good LUCK!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Where to start? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL