The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Shrinking down a battery pack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I took a toy apart to use parts from it to make a magic prop (I'm sure others have done that.. Smile ). The electronics part I used requires 6 (AA) batteries. This is a huge battery pack to hide in my jacket so I was wondering if there's a way to get the same power from smaller batteries.

I went to Radio Shack and asked them and they said that a 9 volt will do. But when I tried it there wasn't enough power. I think they where just waving me off like many of those people who work in these kinds of places do.

Anyway, does anyone know what I can do? What other types of batteries I can use to get the same amount of power as 6 (AA) batteries?

Thanks.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2489 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I don't have your answer Jaxon, but don't feel too bad, N.A.S.A. has the same problem. The sad truth is that all of today's current technology dry cells give off exactly one and a half volts. A nine volt battery is really six batteries in one. etc. The problem comes with the amperage or "the oomph" of the battery voltage. You might try two nine volts in tandem, but but you run the risk of burning out the mechanism.

One thing you might try is taping a string of six AAs to your arm. If you are wearing a jacket these might not show.

Sorry this isn't better news. N.A.S.A. worked out a nuclear powered battery that had lots of people very upset.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Ron,
Be careful when changing voltage, batteries can get very hot and sometimes explode. My favorite tech source is http://www.mouser.com If you call or e-mail them they may know how to help.

Good Luck,
Kregg
POOF!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Years ago, I had a battery pack for an electronic flash. It used nicads with a step up transformer. Charged up quick and put out 500 volts.

Can you save Mr. Electric?
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hey Ron,

There are lots of alternatives out there for you.

Due to Cel. phone technology there has been a gigantic leap in battery technology over the past couple of years.

If anyone would like some answers? Please feel free to PM me. Because I will need to know specifics of the application to reccomend the proper battery type and cells.

Also, a lot of the new Lithium Polymer Cells can be explosive if not handled right so proper care must be taken to insure that you are using the proper batteries for the right application.

Michael Berends
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Look at batteries for micro-radio control airplanes. Pickup a copy of BackYard Flyer magazine and look at some of the stuff available that could have a magic application.

Sammy the Kid
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Ron! Long time no see, hope all is fine.

You could try to use two 9 V batteries in tandem and use a resistor to cut the voltage. Allthough I am not sure whether this would affect the amperage considerably. Can't remember the proper terms, but there is two ways to use two batteries...connect them one way and you get 9 volts (for twice as long I presume); connect the the other way and you get 18 volts.
Sent from my Typewriter
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2489 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Parallel and series
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
1.5 volts times (6) batteries equals 9 volts provided the batteries are wired in series, if they are in parallel the output from the pack will be 1.5 volts, establish this fact first. If the device requires 9 volts and will not run on a single 9 volt battery this indicates insufficient amperage. Solution? Wire (2) 9 volt batteries in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative), they will deliver 9 volts at twice the amperage of a single cell.

Bill
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks everyone.

What you just said BSutter seems to be exactly what's happening. I wired a 9 volt onto it and it didn't seem to have enough power and the LED indicator light slowly faded out. Yes, the battery is new and I tried a few of them to make sure. All the 9 volts got this same result. But when I hooked it to the 6 AA's it worked fine.

I tried hooking two 9 volts to it but it got the same results. Let me tell you what I did to make sure I did it right.

I simply rigged a second 9 volt to the negative and positive. So there are two black wires connected to the same place and two red wires connected to the same place. Is this the right way? If so then it doesn't work so far.

Maybe I should point out that the power is used to create heat. It's basically a mini fog machine I'm working on. I know there are some out there already but they don't work for my need. The one I have will except for the huge battery pack.

So thanks again and I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
Just one more thing that would help with this is that batteries capacity is available in Amp-Hours (how much current they can provide and for how long). Once you figure out the current needed and how long you need it to run for, you can size your batteries appropriately. I'd also stay away from Radio Shack for any technical advice (you find the exception). You should be able to find a battery company (just look in the phone book) in your area that can find you the right battery for the job (i.e. you might find a single battery that will do the job instead of complex wiring that could fail at the worst moment.) Best of luck with your project.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Try a hobby shop that is up on RC airplanes
1/2 AA are a posibility and are 1/2 the size.
The other advantage is that most owners are gadget type guys and would love to help with your project. Show him a couple of tricks and I'll bet he jumps right on board.

Good luck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Shrinking down a battery pack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL