We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregory Wilson - In Action! 3 DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I can understand that. However, the contents of two of the discs are previously released material. And Greg himself even refers to the discs as being "the best of Greg." That's why I interpreted the phrase latest and greatest and new stuff and the best of the old stuff.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
If it says "the best of Greg" than that of course is a different matter.

I did enjoy his On the Spot video set. His Ring Leader video is very good also, full of great moves.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I can understant that if you did not know that this was a "best of" set, then the phrase "latest and greatest would have definately come across as all new stuff." When I heard "latest and greatest" I had already known it was a "best of" set, but I can see how it could be a dissapointment without this knowledge.
Tiki, if Greg does not have the set for cheaper at his lecture here on the 22nd of June, I will check out Mad Hatter. Thanks for the info.
Dann
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
I agree with Jim. To me the term "latest and greatest" means all new stuff.

However, because the rest of the ad says: "Segments of these DVDs are encore routines re-filmed from some of his best work over the last ten years. These are the definitive versions."

That pretty much told me what to expect.

However, I disagree with Chris' statement because the rest of the ad says: "Other segments are previously published material from the select pages of books, magazines and lecture notes that have never been on video. And the last segment is his closely guarded material that is being revealed for the very first time." I highly doubt that everything on these dvds is all the same old stuff as Chris claimed. In fact, most reviews have named some of the cool new stuff.

I'll be picking these up tomorrow at his lecture in San Diego and can give a better opinion then.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

I actually sat down and gave the discs a more comprehensive look yesterday. They are all pretty great. As usual, he teaches you some nice subtlies and great moves. Also as usual, he rushes through a couple of sleights, you'll have to rewind a couple of things. Reset with a Hook is a prime example. But it's well worth the effort to learn. Great effect. He also has this habit of saying he'll explain something that he never explains. Minor quibbles, though. It's a great set.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Yeah, that is annoying sometimes (saying you'll explain something and then not doing it) I realize it's just a case of forgetting most times, but Bill Malone did this with "On the Loose" vol. 2. He says he usually does the bill in lemon in his standup show without the "gimmick" Then he says "I'll show you that version as well." I've always been interested in how he changes it in the stand up show, but he never shows it. Like you said though, usually it is not a matter of utter importance. I'm sure this is the case with Greg Wilson's set as well.
Dann
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Yeah, it's just little things. Things you could probably figure out yourself. But it would be nice if he imparted all of his wisdom and experience on certain effects.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I ordered my set!

How clean is Pitch and Ditch?

Is Flat Out Monte ungimmicked?
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Pitch and Ditch is very clean.

Flat Out Monte is ungimicked, just two Jokers and one ace. It's one of my favorite effects from all three discs. It's like a traditional monte with a couple of very magical moments.

One thing about it, though, he doesn't explain the last phase that he does in both performance segments. However, it is very easy to figure out what he is doing. And when I say that, I mean it's easy to figure out in context with the rest of the routine. Your specs won't figure it out.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I'm looking forward to getting this set at his lecture in just over a week. Has anyone been to a Greg Wilson lecture? Do you know if the prices are good on the DVDs? Thanks
Dann
dcullen30
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of dcullen30
If anyone wants the dvds send me a pm. I will give them to you for a really good deal.
Dan
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I got mine now! A lot of the effects use the same moves as in other effects on the DVDs. Remember when Greg is performing Pitch and Ditch and that kid yells "I know that trick" but when Greg dose Pitch and Ditch again the kid is amazed.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Yeah, that's my favorite part when he thinks he's hot stuff and knows everything and Greg does the exact same move and he yells "whoa! do it again do it again!" I love how spectators think they know or think they see things that they really don't.
Dann
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Penguin Cool Box deal has the set for $39.95 and free world wide shipping: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2118

Seeing Greg perform live is an education. Greg teaching the tricks is just a bonus.

I'm Greg and I found your card...and stole your watch!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregory Wilson - In Action! 3 DVD set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL