The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Nu's Second Special (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
I just finished watching Alain Nu's second special on TLC. It was great. I can't believe it was the same Alain Nu I watched earlier this week. Very well done.

Cheers,

Tiki
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Much,Much,Much better than the first one.

magiclee
thementalist814
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of thementalist814
You da man Alain! The first and second specials were awesome! I hope the third and fourth ones are going to be this great too! Keep up the good work!
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I agree - this one was better than his first episode. The Any Card at Any Number was done very well - what made it strong was that he did not handle the cards - the participants seemed to really like it. I also really liked the magic square - anyone know where this particular version is written up?

Kaylan

PS - how many of you will be adding poker deals to your kid shows???
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
What "magic square?" The number prediction for the woman who wanted to go to Rome? I fast forwarded through the commercials and might have missed something, but I don't recall anything elese that might be a magic square. Just curious.

Cheers,

Tiki
Bill Martin
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Bill Martin
I enjoyed the second one much more than the first. The only problem I have is that I am not being moved by his personality. I don't really get any kind of vibe from him. Blaine is weird. Maven is creepy, Alain just seemed pretty forgetable. Does anyone else feel this way?
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Or did you mean the spirit slates?

Blaine seems a bit stoned. Even so, I find him more compelling to watch than Nu. But Nu really grew on me during this second special. I don't mind low key performers - I like Hooser, Roth and Ammar. Nu seemed sincere and seemed to form a good raport with his audience. He also seemed much more comfortable (and more interesting) in this second special. I hope TLC will produce more of these.

Cheers,

Tiki
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I enjoyed the special, though I felt like I kept hearing the punch lines to jokes with barely enough set-up to make the joke funny.

That said, I think it was good television for non-performers because they don't know what they're missing. We didn't see how Alain interacted with the woman who revealed the name of her first crush or what went on before the zodiac sign/birthdate revelations, even though I know for a fact that something had to happen.

I learned a lot by watching his performance, but I would have learned a lot more by seeing him interact with the participants before the revelations. Of course, that part would have made for boring television for the general public, so I lose. Smile
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Quote:
On 2005-04-29 01:29, Tiki wrote:
What "magic square?" The number prediction for the woman who wanted to go to Rome?

Yes. He predicted the age at which the woman thought she would go to Rome and revealed the prediction with a magic square. Nice.
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
That predicted age trick was interesting. I generally don't like spelling tricks or math tricks, but this one was certainly better than a straight number revelation. Does anyone know whether the trick can be made to work with other numbers, or is there some unique mathmatical property posessed only by the number used (44)?

Cheers,

Tiki
lippesmagic
View Profile
New user
USA
3 Posts

Profile of lippesmagic
Anyone know when this is going to be replayed? I missed it?
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
Quote:
On 2005-04-29 04:54, cfrye wrote:
We didn't see how Alain interacted with the woman who revealed the name of her first crush or what went on before the zodiac sign/birthdate revelations, even though I know for a fact that something had to happen.

I know for a fact that the only thing that went on before the zodiac sign/birthdate revelations was that Alain said hello to the woman!

Millard the Omniscient
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2005-04-29 09:07, lippesmagic wrote:
Anyone know when this is going to be replayed? I missed it?

If you go to Yahoo TV Listings, and search for "Alain Nu" you can find out when it's re-playing in your area.

In my area, they're being replayed back to back on Sunday (May 1st) at 3 and 4 PM.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
[quote]On 2005-04-29 08:52, Tiki wrote:
That predicted age trick was interesting. I generally don't like spelling tricks or math tricks, but this one was certainly better than a straight number revelation. Does anyone know whether the trick can be made to work with other numbers, or is there some unique mathmatical property posessed only by the number used (44)?
//quote]

You have expressed interest in this in several posts. What you are looking for is information on magic squares. The internet and this board have extensive discussions available and many books are devoted to the subject. You'll be able to find more than you need with very little searching.

Gianni
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Yes, I too liked the material and the overall episode more than the first!

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Millard,

You can't expect us to believe he really put the time into learning how to do that presentation.

It takes time, talent, and I for one don't see a reason for that kind of show offishness.

Jack

H.O.A.X
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Gianni-

You must have me confused with another member. I think you found my only post about "magic squares" or anything resembling them. As stated in my post, I don't really like spelling or math tricks. While Nu's trick was somewhat interesting, my question about which numbers would work was more out of idle curiousity, and was answered to my satisfaction when another member posted the number range that worked with this trick. That post has been deleted.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Tiki
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I like Alains laid back style. He does have more of a script when it comes to patter than Blaine or most of the magicians I see around today. (watch...watch...look)
Still has sort of a 'street magic' feel. Which I hope future episodes will get away from.
I would have to say the second special was better than the first. The effects were stronger, but that may be due to Alain talking more and defining his character more.
The effect with the slates was nice. Its good to know that some old props can still be used. I don't know anyone else who is using slates nowadays.
The "watch your step" routine with the cups and nails was a great idea. It was the perfect place to perform it. Right on the steps from The Exorcist. Whoever came up with that has some genius lurking inside them.
I think the best effect was when he bent the spoon. He didn't touch her hand but she felt him touch her 8 times. Then the spoon bent. He got the greatest line from that, and I hope he uses it in his PR. "that's Better Than The Matrix"

Chad
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I enjoyed the second special a great deal more than I did the first one.

Did anyone else notice something interesting about the Stairs/Cup effect? I could be wrong, but I noticed several elements that may have revealed how the effect was done. The average viewer (non-magician) probably didn't notice a thing, but I saw some clues because I was looking for them.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
I helped Alain on the show with a few of the tricks,i know the method of the stair trick and it is probably not what you think, I looked it over a few times and didn't anything related to the method.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Nu's Second Special (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL