The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Type of Bases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
Hi guys,

I would like to get know about bases and I love to widen the knowledge about bases. I hope that you guys can help me out with different kinds of bases that is around the world..

If possible pls provide the following information is possible..

1) Name of the base.
2) Orginator/maker of the base
3) Effect that is created with the base
4) Price Range
5) Link to the following site about the base
6) Advantage
7) Disadvantage

Thanks and I hope that you guys can help me out in this.

Thanks again.

Regards
Gordon
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Wow, sounds like you are just getting into Dbases and there is a lot to learn. I would recommend Illusionworks/Rand Woodbury Vol 1 and 2 videos to get you started. The good is once you understand how a dbase works, you are limited only by your imagination. The bad is quite numerous unless you are independently wealthy. First, you must consider transporting your dbase, storage, ect. Unless you are a skilled craftsman, buying a good one or having it built will cost many 1000's of dollars. 3K and up with 5k being about median. There is a lot more to a show than just a dbase which is why stage acts are so expensive to put together. I cannot tip the inner workings of a dbase on this public forum, but there are many books and videos on the subject of building props and dbases in general.

There is one on This site for sale. It looks like it was built by a home builder and not the really nice ones that cost considerably more.
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
Thanks for the quick reply muzicman...well I do have those tapes and numerous type of illusion books.. here some books I have in hand.

Solo X by Andrew Mayne
Illusion Fx by Andrew Mayne
Diversion by Randy Woodbury
Illusionworks 3 by Randy Woodbury
Black Book by Paul Osborne
Illusion Book 1-4 by Paul Osborne
Treasury of Illusions by Neil Foster
Illusions for Princes or Paupers by Eugene Poinc
Stage Illusions for the 1-2 or 3 Performer Show by Burling " Volta" Hull

Illusion Works Vol 1-3 by Randy Woodbury.

Basically, I know the working of bases and types of bases from what I have stated above. Therefore I love to know even more and I hope that you people will help me to develop more on this area.

Thanks

Regards
Gordon
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Wow, your collection looks a lot like mine. I think that you pretty well have it covered. There are some really nice bases out there but I don't think you will find them in print or video. Some of the magic builders out there keep some of their secrets to themsleves I believe.

The concepts are all about the same. Bring BA into the picture and you can get REALLY deceptive. I have long enjoyed studying Dbases and Dsteps. I think the future of these props will use things like glass, that bends light, hydraulic lifts, instead of manually getting in and out, special paints that turn colors based on which way the light strikes it, lasers, and RC/servo controlled props. I am designing a prop/dbase that uses DMX signals to make it work. The power of the computer can assist in an illusion. Bring in these high power projectors, also computer controlled and I think Copperfield will become old school...LOL
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
News Flash July 14th, 2006......

Grand Illusionist Muzicman was discovered dead today entraped in one of his computer controlled props. It seems during a rehearsal ( last week ) of a new illusion.....his computer froze up thus locking him inside the prop.

David Copperfield is suspected of masterminding the " accident"...when questioned by police Copperfields only comment was...." He called me old school!"

Mrs. Muzicman has announced the prop ( minus Muzicman ) will be on Ebay shortly for those interested. If you want it with Muzicman...it will cost extra.
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
Quote:
On 2005-04-29 23:55, muzicman wrote:
Wow, your collection looks a lot like mine. I think that you pretty well have it covered. There are some really nice bases out there but I don't think you will find them in print or video. Some of the magic builders out there keep some of their secrets to themsleves I believe.

The concepts are all about the same. Bring BA into the picture and you can get REALLY deceptive. I have long enjoyed studying Dbases and Dsteps. I think the future of these props will use things like glass, that bends light, hydraulic lifts, instead of manually getting in and out, special paints that turn colors based on which way the light strikes it, lasers, and RC/servo controlled props. I am designing a prop/dbase that uses DMX signals to make it work. The power of the computer can assist in an illusion. Bring in these high power projectors, also computer controlled and I think Copperfield will become old school...LOL

DMX signals !!! Hmm... interesting...it seems like this makes me do more research and design with dmx signal..

Well you have intersting ideas muzicman and I really hope that we gets down and discuss more on bases.

At the meantime I wonder what other bases that had not covered ?

Any one have any words?

Regards
Gordon
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
LOL Timothy!! I can actually escape out of this thing if you'd just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del for me. I can imagine someday I won't be able to perform because I didn't use virus protection! Or just as I'm ready to appear you hear coming from my prop "You've got mail"!! The scrolling Marquee at the top of my prop begins to say "All of your props are belong to us"....LOL
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Muzicman,

Glad you enjoyed my joke.

Truth is that DMX controlled props would be a dream for all those of us who have missed ( or had a stagehand miss ) a music cue. Keep thinking on that one! Good Going!

Best,

Tim
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Can we please design a DMX controller truck and trailer so the 15,000 plus miles in 10 weeks goes so much smoother !
I actually think Muzicman might be on to something -trigger cervos, open doors, spin bases - what about an animated head for the "girl without a middle", no need for sunglasses and the head looks left and right as well as eyes blinking and possibly mouth moving - there 3 channels taken up !
hmmmm....
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Recently I read about a new shoe that is sold by Adidas that is computerized. The Adidas 1 uses a sensor, a microprocessor and a motorized cable system to automatically adjust the shoes' cushioning. The sensor under the heel measures compression and decides whether the shoe is too soft or firm. That information is sent to the microprocessor and, while the shoe is in the air, the cable adjusts the heel cushion. The whole system weighs less than 40 grams. The microproccesor does 2.5 million calculations per second....probably figuring out all the things you could have bought with the $250 price tag instead of a pair of shoes!

I want to stay on the thread topic so this is my contribution. I have been around computers all my life since computers were first brought inot the home. I enjoy a job that is fully computerized and high tech in every aspect (Telecom). I have a 1 man illusion show and I have discovered that my PC can perform the functions of what used to be a paid position (like the light man/person). My show is designed on a computer, the sound mixed and recorded and played back on a computer, and I use a 3d model program on my PC to visualize my creation before I build them to better estimate cost, size/dimensions, and overall theme. I know some bases built already have used some of the motors and servos I have suggested, but they were manually operated or triggered. My concept is to merge the 2 sciences together. The science of illusion and the science of computers and CPU controlled devices. I believe the future of bases will use all the above ideas I have mentioned, and a few I purposely left out so I can work on them before presenting them. Combine the modern robotics available to us today, with the power of a computer, and magic will enter into the Jetson age. The beauty of the computer is it can deliver consistant results. For me, it has opened up a whole new concept to bases.
Michelangelo
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of Michelangelo
Hello All:

Normally, I wouldn't make my second posting such a mercenary endeavor...however, since it is in answer to a question, perhaps I can be forgiven.

Several years ago, I started playing around with different materials and approaches to base design. The latest iteration is called "Illuminata" as it is composed mostly of glass and light. The end result is a see-through base, lit from behind, which can be walked all the way around so that the audience can see the shapes and shadows of the person moving behind the base. Only the space above the tabletop is ever obscured. It is elevated off the stage and there are no strict requirements as to backdrop or stage lighting. A fully lit stage with a colorful backdrop actually serves to enhance the effect. Photographs of the "Illuminata" in its stand-alone setup are available here:

http://www.illusionist.net/works_illuminata.htm

There will be video also within a few weeks. We are finishing work on the third iteration of the base, so we'll have footage of the base by itself as well as with one or two different "add-ons" on top of it. There are also a couple of related base designs on the site if you don't mind poking around a bit.

Plans for constructing a different approach to the see-through base will also be made available through the Visions Online e-zine. An introductory article was posted last month and the follow-up to this will include the plans. It is an improvement to the "Blam-O" box essentially -- however, the platform will include glass and the walls used to build the sides of the box will be seen dropping into place through the glass. It is a purely mechanical solution, however, and I'm definitely intrigued to see what kind of creations you electronics experts come up with using the DMX options. They sound extremely cool. As for the plans, I've completed the computer renderings and have started the prototype. I really can't add more to this posting since it has been promised to be exclusive to Visions readers for the first six months. That's not to prevent anyone from visiting http://www.online-visions.com however just to see what's there....

Hopefully, you won't mind adding "Illuminata" to your "KnowledgeBase."

Ciao
--------------
Michelangelo
www.illusionist.net
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Thak you Michelangelo and welcome to the Café. I checked out your base and I am very impressed! I am becoming a skilled craftsman due to the many projects I have started and completed. It's refreshing to see others out there giving thought and time (and money) to our art. I look forward to seeing your creation in a performance and I'm sure it is everything you say it is. I got into DMX about a year ago for my stage lighting and just recently picked up a software program to control it (Elation Compu Ware Pro). As I started working with this software it came to me that the signals could be used to control A/C and DC devices as well. To choroegraph movements of the prop eliminates human error and the speed and power of robotic objects is limitless. I have enjoyed my little experiments and look forward to incorperating them into full blown illusions. I have also been looking at a projector, which is also controlled by DMX through the software. Between the visuals that can be created using this projection, and robotic compuetr controlled devices, hydraulic/pneumatics and linear actuators, I honestly believe some truly amazing, reliable illusions can be contructed. I don't claim to be the only one using these devices, it's "HOW" I use them and put them all in sequence that will make my props unique. I have studied the existing bases as best I can and I see problems that no one has been able to overcome, or problems that no one saw because "That's the way it is". I am unique in my approach to solving these problems with modern day technology.

Again welcome to the Café, enjoy you stay here!
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
Thanks Michelangelo...thanks for introducing your illusion base. I had went to your site and checked on "Illuminata". Its a cool and awesome base. The write out and the picture seems fantastic. But if we could have a video to view that would be outstanding...As for the Site that you mention about the site on Visions Online e-zine on bases. I m sorry to say that I did not able to find any site on that Plans for constructing a different approach for bases. If possible could you give us a helping hand and give us a actual link to the page.

Thanks Michelangelo

Take Care

Well heres some update...I found a link to stage illusion in Visions Online e-zine.

here is the link hope that this will provide some information to those who wants to know what Michelangelo is refering to in Visions Online E-zine.

http://www.online-visions.com/stagesofillusions/index.html
Michelangelo
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of Michelangelo
Hey:

Thanks very much for the warm welcome! Everything good I've heard about the Magic Café and its members has turned out to be all true. I'm glad I joined up -- and thanks again!

Muzicman -- appreciate the kind thoughts on and off forum. I may need to consult with you about an idea or two when the time comes. Your approach is indeed unique and I've no doubt you'll be creating interesting and workable technologies.

Gordon -- thanks also for your kind thoughts. I didn't mean to be coy about the links. I'm thinking into the long term and from time to time Visions removes older articles to make way for the newer ones. For example, the first set of articles I wrote are no longer available except as an archive on CD-ROM from Lybrary.com so, eventually, the articles about the new illusion and its plans are likely to go bye-bye as well. In my rush I just gave the general link for a quick reference since I'm unsure how long this thread will remain accessible at Magic Café. Chances are: longer than the files at Visions, perhaps. Having said that, you illusion mongers of the year 2012, you can also send me an e-mail to request information on anything I've referred to here and I'll send it to you, assuming I've satisfied any exclusionary obligations.

I'll post announcements when more information on these projects is released and video footage is up for download. Thanks! Thanks!
--------------
Michelangelo
www.illusionist.net
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Welcome aboard Michelangelo. Glad to see you on the board. Again awesome job as I said before.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Michelangelo:

Please add me to the list of folks praising your innovative approach. I am looking forward to seeing a performance video demo.
Michelangelo
View Profile
New user
United States
13 Posts

Profile of Michelangelo
Just checked in to see the new notes. Thanks guys for the kind words! Good to catch up with the twins and good to make the acquiantance of Mr. Starr. More to come.... Smile
--------------
Michelangelo
www.illusionist.net
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
Ok ! now...seems like the topic goes out of track. I hope that people will continue to contribute as what I request for in the earlier message that I posted. I hope that you guys will contribute other bases that you guys know so we can share the knowledge in here with those who are interested.

Pls note regardsless what kind of bases you know ....pls read the above post that I post for details what to post abt those bases.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Getting back to the original post, so far I don't think anyone mentioned the Alan Wakeling book by Steinmeyer. This book provides and outstanding record of the progression of bases, and if you study it, it will unlock a lot of secrets.
Dylan Weese
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
31 Posts

Profile of Dylan Weese
Hello All,
Here is one of the best bases I that I saw for sale: http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabe.html

I haven't viewed this in person, but I am sure if you talk to Dave Womach, he could tell you about it.

Dylan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Type of Bases (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL