The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » A question so easy, I feel silly asking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I've never used a proper performing table of any kind before. Having seen a few up close now, it doesn't seem too hard to build. A case on casters, with shelves, and should one want the option of making it a close-able traveling case, there are more complicated things that can be done. I've seen fabrics draped over them, so that the actual look of the wood is not a necessary component. Some plywood and screws, a good bit of sanding, casters, and voila! Right?

One concept I had in building a table has to do with old boxes. I am looking at doing a show with a farming theme, and I happen to have quite a collection of old boxes from antique sales, the kind with a product stamped on the wood. I don't use them for much, but I can see taking the panels off, and forming the front of a performing table for this particular venue. (I have peaches, plums, etc.) Then for any other setting, I just put the right cloth over the whole thing, and it blends into a more commercial setting.

Am I making this too easy, or can it really be that simple?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sounds like a great idea, and I'd like to see photos when you are done.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
What a silly question. Why would you ask it?

Actually, I have one suggestion. I could be wrong, but it seems that simply covering it with a cloth would look sloppy and amateurish. Might I suggest having a seamstress actually sew a custom-sized cover that will look good?

I have a few different signs that I attach to my tables with velcro. These are made of stiff plastic (PVC?), and have computer-generated vinyl lettering/images. Each sign was done by a local sign shop at a cost of about $25 each. Perhaps you could have a large one made that can act as a facade to cover the wooden boxes.
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
If you are going with a farming theme, I would try covering it with a Burlap (get it in the fabric section of WalMart) with a big red bandana set diagonal on that.

Just my take on it,

Sammy the Kid
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Seems to me, with a farm theme, he wouldn't have to do anything to the boxes. I can visualize the table actually looking like a couple of those boxes stacked up. Possibly with an internal support system to make them stable (no puns Smile ).

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
I've been thinking about making a rool on that looks like an old orange crate. Howeverm my thought wat to make it solid and paint it to look like one. that way no one can see into it.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
But he also asked for "any other setting" besides the farm theme. That's what my sign and custome-cover suggestions were referencing.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Thanks for the input all. Deke, I like where you're going. Custom slip covers would be most appropriate.

I would take Sammy's burlap idea if I had a regular generic table that needed theming, but in this case, the printed produce boxes themselves are the theme, and I don't want to cover them.

What's getting my juices flowing even more, is that the routine I am working on involves a shift from a labratory environment with a mad scientist, to the organic farm setting. I will have to design some quick-remove covering that fits the scientific theme, then exposes the "rustic" down-on-the-farm look.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
Attach the cloth covers with tear-away velcro, like they use for table skirts, or the drape on a "backstage" gimmicked tray.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-05-06 11:40, revlovejoy wrote:

I would take Sammy's burlap idea if I had a regular generic table that needed theming, but in this case, the printed produce boxes themselves are the theme, and I don't want to cover them.

That's the point I was getting at.
Quote:
I will have to design some quick-remove covering that fits the scientific theme, then exposes the "rustic" down-on-the-farm look.

For those other themes, this is surely the best idea.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
View Profile
New user
Niagara, Ontario
68 Posts

Profile of Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
What a great idea with the crates. I have a table I made 30 years ago and saved a lot of money. I also fasten a them cover on it with velcro. So many things you can do if you let your imagination wander.
One Mustn't study a magician to closely,
Never look up his sleeve,
Never look under his hat,
Just sit back and let him do his act.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I had very little money as a kid and even fewer resources for purchasing magic. I made much of my own stuff, including among other things, a Flip Over Box made from one of my Dad's old cigar boxes. Learned to make due with whatever was at hand, which is why I think this crate idea is a real winner.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
Rev - just wondering if you've committed to anything here, and how it turned out. Best of luck to you on this - sounds like a great idea - especially with the versatile cover suggestions.
http://www.mistylee.com

Whoever said the hand is quicker than the eye never tried rolling the two down a ramp.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Since it is a farm theme why not use old burlap bags for the top of the table to replace the material.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Misty - the show won't be until October now, and I anticipate building in early July.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A couple of ideas....If you are going to stack the crates on each other, use a loose "Blackstone" hinge to keep them together once they are stacked.

Also, I would take the crates apart and make them so they hinge or fold flat. A couple of loose hinge pins and they also go together. You also might be able to lighten them up by substituting other wood on the different sides etc. You might use a foam core with the panels adhered to the sides. Or just scan them and print them out and place aged prints on the foam core. I am a big one for lightening things up.

If you are going to leave one crate intact, make a lid that clips in place with a handle and put caster on two side edged so you can pull it. That way you could pack the whole show inside.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » A question so easy, I feel silly asking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL