The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sliders vs Wheels (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I noticed at the local home improvement store these "sliders" or "gliders" to use as opposed to wheels. They come in various shapes and sizes. I bought some of these and they are still new in the box. Has anyone ever seen or used these instead of wheels? They are not cheap but cheaper than qulaity wheels. I have a table that needs to slide stage left about 4 feet during my act. I need to stand on this table so I couldn't have traditional wheels. Locking wheels were considered but I would need to unlock them and it didn't seem to fit into my existing actions. I don't want to do anything that breaks my flow of my routine. Even the 1-2 seconds of releasing a lock via my foot would ruin the flow. I saw these sliders and thought I would give them a try. I'll have them out of the package and installed today. I'll report back with a review.
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
My concern would be cracks or imperfections in the stage flooring interfering with the sliding. Looking forward to your report.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I'm guessing you are talking about Teflon pads? I've seen them made for furniture moving, but never for permanent installation. The ones I've used work GREAT on carpeting and ceramic tile. And they are stable enough that I wouldn't hesitate to stand on a table equipped with them. BUT, I'm sure there are surfaces where they aren't very good.

I'm anxious to hear how they work out for you.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Ok, I have them installed and the table I put them on is only about 20 lbs, 4 legs. I have tried sliding on carpet, tile floor and wood floors. It's a lot like wheels. The pads are rounded so there is no sharp edge to catch on anything. I made the right choice going with these sliders vs the traditional wheels. It's very stable to stand on, yet glides gracefully when pushed. I have added another 100lbs to this table just to see if increased weight would add to the friction. It did not appear to slow down the glidability. I just had more weight to push. I used Gorilla glue to attach them permenantly to the bottoms of my table legs which is by far the best glue I have ever used. I am going to start a thread about that so others can try it out as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sliders vs Wheels (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL