We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The ball is in your hand! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
When I do a street show, normally my Cups and Balls is my finish it is a surround crowd. Every now and then some one will get wind that the ball is in my other hand. I normally respound with a one liner’s or tow and I don’t let it bother me during a show. Do you have any one liner that you use? What do you do in this situation?
Mario
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Why don't you ditch it in your pouch?

(PM gazzo, I bet he has some, maybe) Smile
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2005-05-01 15:35, Magicmaven wrote:
Why don't you ditch it in your pouch?

Is that a joke or a real qwestion?
No offence
Mario
P.S I sure Gazzo will add his thoughts on this thread, if he want's to.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Mario:

I'd never use a one liner in that situation. I just keep right on going, and trust that my voice is louder than theirs. Darwin Ortiz calls this "turning off your hearing aid".

The most vulnerable part of the C&B routine (if your using the Vernon routine) is the first segment (the three balls vanish and go under the cups) Usually the revelation of the three balls under the cups will silence the skeptics.

The false explaination towards the end, where you "expose" the french drop is also a big help...those that figured out te false transfer will smile knowingly, "I knew it!" only to get the hose turned on them when you reveal the final loads. The false explaination indicates that you were'nt really trying to fool them with the false transfer...just setting them up for the big sucker punch at the end.

I DID ditch the ball in my pouch for a while. But then I decided that there was no point.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I agree with Ortiz (never read it tho sorry). Just pretend you didn't hear it. However, you could do the Pitch & Ditch into your pouch (seriously) or do the all-around vanish (Greg Wilson - On The Spot).
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
The problem with a pitch and ditch is it kind of gets you away from the rhthym of the routine. I am guessing Marrio is just looking for some one-liners for his act. He is experienced enough to know what to do when this happens. Since it typically happens in the context of vanishing the balls and having theme reappear under the cups, it is best just to go on with the routine, since you will provide a good "proof" that the heckler was wrong, in just a minute or two. I have already learned that you can hear lots of spectator theories on the street as you go through your routines. I listen with half an ear, and if something comes up that prompts a response, I say something. I analyze it later to see if it worked. Otherwise I just go on and ignore what they say. Right now I am in the impromptu phase of my development. I have a script, but I am finding that I do better with the specs if I play some of my lines by ear. I am much better doing a kind of banter with the crowd then telling scripted jokes (although some of my impromptu banter has been added to my script.) But I haven't yet had someone shout out something like, "Hey, you have the ball in your other hand.
Chris
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
There are a lot of approaches re this subject, IF such an incident happens..
Normally one is just moving on, they 'normal' simply never have a chance for a such remark, at least they shouldn't..

IF it happens, one f.ex. could stop immediately, simply *freeze* for a moment (I'm here talking about streetwork*.

Next is shouting up as loudly as possible, *What did you say sir? Please step forward*, this probably will embarras the guy in question, he might step forward a bit.
Look straight at him and again, *what did you say?*

He will probably say, *it is in the other hand*..

As you normally hide the ball in the right hand, show him your left hand empty from both sides..*No*, he'll say, *in the other hand*..and you also might get a laugh from the other specs re your action.

Display again your left hand to be empty:
*THAT's the other hand*..

After this, close both hands in front of your body..and hopefully you wear a Topit..
*Which hand ?*
He'll probaly say *Your right hand*.

*OK*, you say, the *other hand is empty*..showing your left again empty by a *swing*..*and so is 'this' hand* showing your right hand empty by using the very same Topit-move Pat Page always does demo with a ball, or use any other topiting action fitting you..

Immediately therafter remove the ball out of your left coatpocket, *It's here, now you can step back again*, and continue with your act..

I suppose after this, nobody will again question you re this, at least not during *This* performance..

The ball you remove is of course the same you have topited, using the Ammar design.

Now a lot of streetperformers don't wear a jacket. but they might wear similar clothings where a Topit is incorporated- it should if not for anything else then 'just in case'..in any case, in any case, Cellini does..

BUT, one has to be prepared for the incident you mentioned and has rehearsed it..then there is no problem.

Some performers might cover this incident by a smart line, which might work well, but the above mentioned one is the *magical* and deceptive one, they shouldn't have a clue and the interaction of the performance might even be a *plus* re entertainment value..one has to turn those incidents to ones own advantage, they *make a good show*..that is something one has to have in mind!!!!

Follow my advice Mario, it might give you a better show.. Smile
Though it would be a vikings way to handle that kind of situations Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I thought Vikings would simple kill the spectator. Smile
Chris
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Chrisrkline: Most of the time we pull up our swords and split them in half. Then we produce the ball (from the other hand - so that nobody belives that the 'cut-to-pieces-spectator' was right) and says: "No, I hid it inside your body...

Or not.

/Arkadia
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-05-02 08:51, chrisrkline wrote:
I thought Vikings would simple kill the spectator. Smile
Only those from Cardiff.. Smile

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Werner G. Seitz
I whould respound with death blow statements but it has proven before not every one shares our humor all thoughts. So they have shut us down I am tryining to avoid that. Remember they shut Gazzo thread down, and the one about pouches. So stop grunting and snorting and stick with the plot. I don't no why but that is what they do.
Mario
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-05-02 11:59, Mario Morris wrote:
I don't no why but that is what they do.
Mario
Oh taht's easy.. Smile
They're neither born in the UK nor Munich...there is a difference in sense of humour..
I never laughed at their jokes either.. Smile
I'll keep my mouth shut.. Smile

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Forget it
"A big mouth Vicking can never keep his mouth shut"
Mario
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Werner, how well using a topit would work is something that others with more experience could answer, but I agree that if you were going to do this it would have to be part of the script, even if you use it only rarely. I suppose you could put in some subtle clues that you are "cheating" to encourage spectators to shout out that the ball is in the other hand. This is similar to other things that are done to throw the spectator off: Dropping the ball into the pouch, pretending to eat the ball, etc.
Chris
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
In my routine, whenever I have vanished a ball, it reappears again almost immediately from some unexpected location. At the same time that I reveal the ball, I've reloaded another cup. So, if a spectator says "It's in your hand", it is very natural for me to respond by saying, "No. It's under the cup. If it was in my hand, that would be cheating." By saying something as quick and simple as this, I get to respond to the spectator's comment and continue my routine without losing its rhythm.

To me, the rhythm of the cups and balls routine is the key. To keep attention and maximize the climax, your patter has to build on a certain rhythm. If you break the rhythm, you have lost control of the routine and your audience.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Well, that example I mentioned can not always be used by streetworkers as they preferably work in summertime and then without a jacket, but sometimes a vest.

Some though do wear a lightweight jacket and then it would be a good solution.

The thing actually is NOT really about the use of the Topit, but about to *really' throw them off the track by use of a method, they don't have a chance to catch.

Really convincing them, both of your hands are empty, when they expect you have hidden a ball in one of them.

This will prevent them from further interferance.

Using a vest, a Topit can be used too, Roland Henning actually does, you can study it on one of his vids on the net, when he does his vanish of 3 large balls.
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=5015

I am not sure, it is needed to put it in as a clue and use it as standard in ones performance, the other stuff using the pouch or the mouth (Gazzo) makes here more sense as the method here is revealed and harmless, whilst in case of the Topit-use the method is hidden and the aim is to shut them down when NOT challenged in the first place..they challenged you and you shut them down by proving they where so wrong..
You're the magician and whatever they think you've done re the ball-vanish (transfer) in the first place, is proven wrong so they have to accept you are smarter then so..

The solution should be a 'just in case' one and of course be second nature to 'hit' the da*d thing safely each time, it isn't that hard when practised sufficiently..

It was just a thought re making the best out of the original mentioned situation and at the same time taking advantage of it, meaning it actually (no doubt for me) will make a better show using the described *out*..

It's always an improvement re entertainment to ones show, when unexpected things happen -they think they have catched you- and you can prove them oh so wrong..that's what makes a good show and that too makes ones show for oneselfes more interesting then just spooling off ones routines like an automat..

That's the benefit of having specs that react differently each time to each show, so that's what makes it worthwhile for oneselfes to carry on..

Quote:
On 2005-05-02 15:42, magicman845 wrote:
So, if a spectator says "It's in your hand", it is very natural for me to respond by saying, "No. It's under the cup. If it was in my hand, that would be cheating."
Your solution is *the best*, but as Mario asked and mentioned the specs question, I suppose he got it at least one time when working, and judging from the promo-vid at his site re the C&Bs he doesn't work slowly, so this means the question shouldn't have popped up, nevertheless I suppose it did.

A good friend of mine who does the C&Bs as expertly as any of the past masters in the States, does work VERY slowly, but makes his vanishes more or less *off beat* and he'll never gets that question, that's for sure..there simply isn't time as he always works with 2 specs or at least a single one and that spec or these 2 specs are occupied all the time to follow and answer his questions, and the rest of the audience is busy in following the 2 specs reactions.

So right, the question shouldn't pop up, but I suppose it did pop up for some performers..

This neither means they did the transfer badly, but I suppose they maybe did do it using slightly wrong timing, anything is possible, it can happen to the best..

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
In a street setting it is quite common for the question to pop up, even Gazzo Uncensored you see Gazzo dealing with kids that spot the ball. My video clip was taken a week after the Gazzo master class and I have slowed down a lot since then. That is why I started this thread to see how others street performers deal with it.
I don’t ignore them I play with them, one liners, hay kid did I give you a speaking part? Next time I will bring my lawyer. I generly don't care because it is only one or two but then I will lose them again and finally blow them away with my finish.
Mario
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Mario,

I had this the other day a spanish kid just kept yelling (in spanish so only his crowd knew what he was talking about), however it was obvious (as he kept pointing to my hand!)
I just continued (as I don't know any spanish one liners! except ole!), I managed to throw him off trail with my third phase, and he screamed when the final loads appeared! So I think just keep on going works for me, as has been said the "exposure" phase can againt throw them off, I do however have a spare set of balls in my back pouch, so if it became a problem I'd just show "loads of balls!".

Kindest Regards

DAK
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
You could say. "Esta neneo grande tonto" which means "a kid your size is stupid".
For some reason the spanish think this is funny.
Mario
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Thanks Mario!!

regards

DAK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The ball is in your hand! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL