The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Dry ice - How long will it last? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I have a question for those of you who are experienced using dry ice for fog/smoke effects:

How long will a chunk of dry ice remain viable for making fog/smoke?

For instance: if I wanted to make a cup produce smoke could I put a piece of dry ice in the bottom of the cup, then cover the cup with a handkerchief which has a concealed ear syringe full of warm water hanging on a loop of thread, give the ear syringe a slight squeeze so that the warm water would contact the piece of dry ice, then uncover the cup (pulling away the ear syringe on the loop of thread under the cloth) and have "smoke" coming out of the cup.

If I loaded the piece of dry ice into the cup half-an-hour before performance would it still produce fog/smoke or do I need to use it sooner than that?
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
How long is a piece of string?*

How big is your "chunk" of dry ice?

Aside from size (which, in this case, matters), the other major determining factor is ambient temperature. Dry ice will last longer in a cold storage locker than it will in a sauna.

Tnen there is the matter of insulation. Dry ice will last longer in a heavy styrofoam cup than it will in a metal container.

Conclusion ... your question is impossible to answer theoretically and easy to answer via simple experimentation. Shut up and try it.

Good thing I'm feeling patient today.

Sid

*The usual answer to this one is twice half its length which is a non-answer to a non-question.
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Thanks, Sid.

I am properly chastised for my very vague question .

The "chunk" of dry ice is the size of a "chunk" which will fit in the bottom of a cup , of course. Smile

Thank you for your patience , oh wise one .
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
To answer from a lab point of view. It is dependent on the quality of dry ice, some is better than others. I can store dry ice from some companies over the weekend in a polystyrene box no hassle, others barely last the night.

Good dry ice should be alright for half an hour in a cup, I would suggest getting a circle of polystyrene and sticking that onto the base of the silk, as this will help by acting as a lid. The best thing to do is experiment. Maybe try a number of small chunks (greater surface area when the water hits is) as far a temperature goes, after half an hour the water won't be warm!

PS my piece of string is 9102mm today under constant strain and measured at 25C
james_magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
124 Posts

Profile of james_magic
The best thing would be to test it out and see if it works. If it doesn't then you know you have to do something else to keep it cold. mgical has some good points and ideas to try if it doesn't work.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
David,

Dry Ice usually is sold in two ways (at least in my area) as chips, or a block.
I forget the size/weight of the bag of chips I got, it was almost 2 years ago, but it was fairly large, 20lbs I think. $40. It lasted 3 days outside in a coleman cooler over Halloween. I used most of it for my fog chiller, but usually I just use regular ice because it's easier to get and cheaper.

The thing about dry ice is that it's frozen carbon dioxide, not water, and it doesn't melt, it sublimates , or goes directly from solid to gas form.
Be careful not to touch it, ever - you will "burn" your fingers. It is extremely cold: typically -109 degrees farenheit. Use tongs and gloves. If you put it in a cup you drink from (probably not a good idea) , make VERY sure you don't get that "ice cube" in your mouth or worse, swallow it.

Sid, you made good points but that was uncalled for. He specified a cup, so how much variation is there going to be ? He might get 15 minutes from it, or 45. It's not like it's a difference of hours.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
The only point that I was interested in making was also made by james_magic. Instead of asking, a bit of experimenting would be more useful and might also serve to eliminate clutter.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I have a similar problem that I've been working on for years. I have a cauldron that I would like a fog or mist to roll out over the rim, although I'm looking for this to happen over an extended period of time, say half an hour or so. I need it very portable, so a standard fog machine doesn't work.
In my experiments with dry ice, there are two main problems.
1) If you put dry ice into a limited amount of water, such as a cup (or a cauldron), the amount of fog diminishes very quickly. The dry ice quickly drops the temperature of the water, and as the water temperature drops the amount of fog produced drops. If you can keep the water at a relatively constant temperature the amount of fog will drop as the chunk of dry ice diminishes.
2) The fog is heavy, so if you have it in a cup the fog it wants to sit in the cup rather than roll over the top.
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
With the cauldren I used to use (big antique washpot), I solved the water temp problem with a few electric water heaters (you know, the ones you stick in a cup of coffee - but bigger). Kept it going until the Ice ran out.

Azrael
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
I would recommend having a dehumidifier if you want to keep dry ice for long periods of time, because the drier it is, the longer it takes to sublime(sublimate).
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
web
View Profile
New user
Roanoke, VA.
25 Posts

Profile of web
Alchemist, have you tried the small electronic fountain foggers?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Dry ice - How long will it last? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL