The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ouija Board (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
We're currently putting together a seance type show and I love the idea of something involving a ouija board ( particularly for some of our audiences who really believe in this stuff ). I know that Corinda suggests the sneaky medium can manipulate the glass manually - but I'd rather keep my hands off of it. Any ideas, thoughts, sources ?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Does a ouija board really belong in a seance?
After all, this was really a board game, created less than 80 years ago, for home parties!
(Remember, the name is made up of the word "yes" in French and German: "oui" and "ja".)
It hardly rates as an ancient artefact, in the style of Tarot cards, crystal balls, etc.
Smile
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Peter !
I don't think it's necessary to involve an ooooold artefact. It depends on the story.
We can do many very strange things, with haunted objects which are not very old. Because ghosts, for example, doesn't have to be very old too
Smile

And even if I don't use Oujia board, I must admit it's a spirit object well known from laymen. So, in my opinion, it can be the basis of a good sceance.

Dark Knight !

I'm sure you will find a very interesting thing on this link :

Smile Smile Smile http://thelearnedpig.com.pa/magos/ezine/lpig20.html
Smile Smile Smile
But before, you will probably have to register to the learned pig project.

I hope you will enjoy.

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
Personally, I use a Ouija board in some of my seances. How's the old saying go? "Give the lady what she wants." This season alone, I have had numerous requests for the talking board. I don't believe that most people know the chronology of Ouija, and probably don't even care. From my experience, most people remember the Ouija as a somewhat dangerous/risky and therefor exciting, adolescent excursion, full of possibilities to contact those things that may lurk in the darkness. How delicious!

If done right, and in the right context, the board can push your performance beyond just mere fun and games to a point where the sitters actually question the reality of what they are experiencing. After all, which of us, when we were in our youth, believed the forces behind the Ouija to be real?

I prefer to do a total blackout during the dark part of my seance, and sometimes when I have been in private homes, this is nearly impossible without spending inordinate times prepping the location--after all, this is a business. Using the talking board has been a handy alternative to performing the blackout phase of my seance. Two nights ago I performed a seance in the basement of a local, private college. The locale was less than perfect--and it would have been impossible to control all the elements of atmosphere--so I pitched the Ouija board as part of my act prior to the booking of the performance--and they were thrilled with the idea.

I guess what I have been rambling about is that, as performers, we find what works for us, and more importantly, our guests and customers.

Humbly,

Brother Craig
Rogue Magic
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Hang on, everybody.
All I did was suggest that, because of its commercial and recent connections, it may not be the best thing for a seance.
Maybe it is; I don't know in what context you are using it.
Perhaps if you elaborated?
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
I'm sorry about ruffling feathers...

I only use the Ouija board in certain cercumstances, and I do believe there are preferable means to the end. With that said, I would recommend checking with Lee Woodside about an effect using the Ouija board. He uses it as a way to devine and spur some cold reading. He offers the effect occasionally on E-bay, (this is where I procurred my copy) but last I heard, he might not be able to obtain some of the props in the future.

Any other ideas for Darkknight?
MrHonesty
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of MrHonesty
I don't know exactly what the "talking board" is but it gave me an idea. Another post here in the Cafe was about "Talkie Tapes" they are small ribbons that you attach to a source of reverberation (ie. a ouija board) and it makes a voice resonate from the board. Could be pretty neat if done in the right circumstances. Some food for thought.

Andy
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Awhile back, I bought Beyond the other side, a rahter nice Ouija board effect. The effect goes like this:

A letter left behind by a recently deceased man states that he is looking for someone who is able to receive his communications from beyond the veil. Instructions have been left for using a “Ouija” board to test individuals for their ability to receive his communications.

The “test” is administered by the performer and, of course, the test subject (or “sitter”) is 100% successful, despite the fact that there is a completely free choice of any letter of the alphabet and any of the 10 digits on the message board.

This is a powerful effect, the theme can be changed a bit to suit your needs.

To be honest, I do not know if Lee Woodside is still selling them but you could ask:

Woodsidelee@hotmail.com

Kevin Smile
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
Thanks everyone, certainly plenty of food for thought. I'll certainly contact Lee and see if he is still marketing his effect as it sounds exactly what I'm after.
mattstark
View Profile
New user
Matt
9 Posts

Profile of mattstark
I use an ouija board in my mind control show and I never have to go near the glass, to get the glass to move is very simple using a simple psycological method if you e-mail me then I will go through the workings of how to create the effect
"your mind becomes my stage . . . your thoughts become my props"
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
104 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
I beleave in ghost and the paranormal, and when us "spooky" folks hear the word ouija board it's usualy bad news. We only here bad storys about them. If I were you I would not touch one with a sixtey foot pole. Smile And I doubt it would have good results for your volententeres, asid from the fact that I think it would be hard for you to find volententeres because most people think its the "devel's board game" Smile any-who I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I wouldn't recomend it.
Codex Reader
View Profile
New user
TX
69 Posts

Profile of Codex Reader
After I got into muscle reading I created a type of Qujia board. I had the rub on letters going across the board spaced about 2 inches apart and 4 rows down, then a 5th line with the numbers 0-9. I would have the sitter hold my wrist as she would think of the first letter of the name, then we would do the first letter of the last name. Have your index finger pointing out and abour 2 inches above the board. Start at the letter A then get a 2 letter back and forth movement going with your hand and keep it moving across the board until you get to z, if you didn't get a read, start again, now even when you "get" the letter. Don't stop and reveal the letter yet. Just move on and tell her to think of the 2nd letter, once you have it then keep moving your hand back a forth and end on Z. Then turn to her and tell her what the letters were. This way you further unlink her ability to think she guided your hand. After about a week of practice you will get the initials just about every time and of course the ones you miss just add to the effect.

I should market this effect, but until I do, it is yours for free. The key to getting the right letter or number answer is to keep telling the sitter to "keep your mind clear of anything else except the letter, keep repeating it to yourself over and over."

Have fun!
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
391 Posts

Profile of Seance
I would recommend "Tales of the Talking Board" by Jim Magus. You may find interesting ideas of using the Ouija Board in various routines.
theologian
View Profile
New user
italy
21 Posts

Profile of theologian
I can suggest "Seance"
You can find great ideas and fantastic effects with Ouija board.

Smile Smile
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
It would be much better to use in a seance "automatic writing". That is similar to the ouija board, but the planchette works with a pencil and a "simple" note pad. Presumably the "ghost" writes a secret message. Should you want to know more, consult the late Bascom Jones´ "MAGICK"....or ask me.....!!!

ESPecially and MAGICally

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1733 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Theologian, yes you could suggest "seance" but where does one find a copy?

only 1000 were made.

-George
theologian
View Profile
New user
italy
21 Posts

Profile of theologian
Hi George
you can purchase "SEANCE" (a best books on the seance-work) by Magic by post.
The link is: [outdated link]

Good reading
Theologian Smile Smile

Sorry,
I have written the wrong link:
[outdated link] Smile Smile

Sorry again,
Theologian
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I found a mini Ouija Board on a keychain. The board has a small drawer and inside the drawer is the planchette. It is in every way just like the larger version, only it fits neatly into your pocket. I picked one up and thought 'theres a trick in this'. But never worked on it. I think you can find them in Wal-Mart.

Chad
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Last I checked you can find them at Spencer's Gifts also.
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here, but Quije is a major part of my act. I have always found that magic that happens in the spectators hands is the best. I remember the looks I'd get from spongeballs! But that was nothing to the looks I got from a Ouija board that offers answers to questions while I'm no where near the spectators or board. Believe it or not I play up the board with a few of the "real" stories I have collected. And even go as far as to say "If the Ouija board scares you, feel free to leave the room at this time." "Only a few of the houses I have used a Ouija board in, complain of Ghosts. But no one has been harmed....at least not yet!" And there I pause with a nice grin!
Jim Magus Has a wonderful book on the Ouija but im not sure if it is still in print.
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ouija Board (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL