The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When one is introduced to a psychic. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
What do you do when introduced to a supposed real psychic and have to spend the evening in their company?
Several times I have been introduced to and spent time in the company of supposed real psychics, healers and new age people. My reaction is usually to remain polite at all times and not get into anything deep.

What do you guys do? I'm sure it must have happened. I'm on stand by for all the jokey answers but would appreciate some real one's with thought also.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Hi HW,
I think we may vere off down the lines of a not too recent post!.
However, I have never been in the situation but it depends what you wish to achieve.
If it is just a social gathering, then unless he/or someone else brings the subject up I would treat it it simply as that.

Then again if he is performing then what do you want to do.

Do you just want to see how he operates?

Do you want to catch him out?

Given what you/we know, the latter should not be too difficult especially if you

wish to follow Mr Rowlands advice.Just make sure you are bigger than him!

Howard
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Why not get into anything deep? Why not have a respectful discourse? Certainly you should be polite, but I don't see any reason to avoid discussing what psychics do.

I think dialogue between those with divergent views should be encouraged.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I suspect that what ever friend would have introduced me to themwould not appreciate any heated debate in their home. In one case I was introduced to a Reki Healer who happened to by my friends mother, so saying anything remotely against his mothers beliefs would not be good form in my opinion.

Kirk.
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 16:16, jimtron wrote:
Why not get into anything deep? Why not have a respectful discourse? Certainly you should be polite, but I don't see any reason to avoid discussing what psychics do.

I think dialogue between those with divergent views should be encouraged.

Dialogue is fine, the problem is as I've stated elsewhere... very, very, VERY few magicians or anyone with a magic foundation, has even the least amount of remote respect for someone that believes themselves to be "Psychic"... the attitude and approach is very confrontational (or evolves to that level rather quick) and totally ruins everyone's night.

IF on the other hand, you can be open minded and not confrontational, there is absolutely no reason why the encounter can't be positive, friendly and productive.

I recently encountered an aspiring Reader who insisted upon doing card tricks and using an Invisible Deck as a means by which to prove his Psychic abilities in front of persons that know the market, work within the shut-eye aspects of the market and couldn't help but shrug... amazed by how stupid this magician assumed the believers to be. A classic mistake! Unfortunately, many a mage are in far too much denial to believe they could possibly be seen a fraud... after all, their tricks are exactly what are in all the books about how psychics do what they do...right?
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I used to actively seek out real psychics. In fact I was a member of a healing group that would meet up once a week. They were mostly riekie healers. I found they were great places to practice cold reading and watch stopping as they all believed you. A safe place to develop your mentalism. For me I found it a lot of fun keeping a straight face was the most difficult part. I found many of them were very insecure people who didn't have much going for them in life and the psychic element was a way to be special without any real effort or input.

On the other hand I did recieve a healing once that made me think that there is also something to it. Although 90% or more of them thought they were genuine the founder "talked" only to me about the fact he used cold reading..

Shrink
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 15:15, Hypnotic Winter wrote:
What do you do when introduced to a supposed real psychic and have to spend the evening in their company?

Do as Richard Webster suggests and nod your head.
;)
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I have friends that are psychics.

Usually, we talk about theater, movies, art, women, food, and of course, cards...
Jon Stetson
View Profile
Veteran user
328 Posts

Profile of Jon Stetson
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 17:48, Juan D wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-02 15:15, Hypnotic Winter wrote:

Do as Richard Webster suggests and nod your head.
;)

Juan,
Excellent advice! When in doubt W.W.W.D. (What would Webster do?)

However, If a person wants to perform mentalism, or be "known" as a mentalist, they will find themselves in this situation often.

The first step, in my opinion, is to figure out what YOU think about such matters.
If you are not comfortable in this situation, perhaps you should be performing magic. No disrespect, it's just somthing to think about.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
Enriqueenriquez,

I have musician friends and we talk of the same things.

We are all the same.

Jack

H.O.A.X
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Exactly.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1911 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Here's a novel idea - how about just respecting them and their beliefs?

From past posts it's clear that there's a tendency of the sceptical brigade to also be dismissive of religion so what would you do if you met a catholic priest socially?

I've been a scepitic and when I look back at how I acted when I was sceptical do you know what I see? A pain in the derrier. Someone who didn't care about what people felt or experienced and someone who felt they knew everything there was to know about the paranormal.

Years later I have spoken with many people who have had wild experiences, I have also had a few myself and it all adds up to making me consider that there MIGHT be something in it. And for that I am joyful - that there may be things in the Universe that we will never understand or believe exist unless we personally experience them.
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
I just politely excuse myself and leave.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1911 Posts

Profile of David Numen
That is an ill-informed, sad and somewhat ironic point of view.

Do you know that many mentalists proclaim powers or at the very least remain ambiguous on the matter? Or that many mentalists make a great deal of money from "psychic" readings?
Murfmind
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Murfmind
Reminds me of the cartoon where one mentalist met another mentalist and the first one says "Your're fine, how am I?" Murf
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 03:02, Nikodini wrote:
I just politely excuse myself and leave.

Then why on earth are you around all these magicians?

Quote:
On 2005-05-03 04:32, bartlewizard wrote:
That is an ill-informed, sad and somewhat ironic point of view.

Do you know that many mentalists proclaim powers or at the very least remain ambiguous on the matter? Or that many mentalists make a great deal of money from "psychic" readings?

Look at his post Bartlewizard... you (WE ALL) know the answer to that. This is just someone that's read one or two books on the subject along with on-line forum bias about John Edward and the gang rather than an individual that's attempted at any level to get into the field and see what's what. This is soooo typical of today's magic buffs and it's not worth getting bent over. They're armchair experts and will NEVER amount to be anything other.

As I've said so many times here and at other forums, I find it amazing how I can have several very close friends who are major players in the Skeptic's world and yet, we NEVER get into arguments or debates. We have fun, we talk for hours on the phone discussing MAGIC and how to be an effective PERFORMER. We have, but only at limited areas, discusses a couple of investigative issues when it came to this or that individual or suspected operations. I'm just like them... get rid of the heartless crooks! But, I draw a line when it comes to the more common Reader. I believe some of what I've been saying the past decade or so is likewise gaining some ground when it comes to the antics of skeptics and recognizing that some of these people really are doing good in the world... I know I try to do such in my practice.

Psychics are people too... just treat them as such. Who knows, you might just learn something about yourself and your limited way of looking at the world...
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1911 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Osiris, I read a post of yours on another thread which was excellent. This is similarly so.

There are several grades of skeptic. There are the true skeptics who realise that having an open mind is part and parcel of what they do. I have met many, and shared many fascinating conversations about the nature of "it", whatever "it" may be.

Then there's the professional skeptic. They write books debunking performers and some even go so far as to show how some psychic performers do their routines - an act as ethically questionable as falsely claiming psychic powers I would think. These guys always seem to have a book to sell, a paper to publicise or something similar.

Then there are the "buffs" on here who, as you said, have read a few articles or a book but have no real personal experience - in fact their limited mindset wouldn't allow them to go out and experience anything anyway. They think of Rowland as a God and they absolutely know that there is no such thing as the paranormal. What the **** such people are doing in a Mentalism board I don't know. I go so far as to say it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a Mentalist if you have no belief in the paranormal - you can be a fake Mentalist but who wants to be one of those?
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
"I go so far as to say it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a Mentalist if you have no belief in the paranormal - you can be a fake Mentalist but who wants to be one of those?"

Hmm...

Not sure I understand this. I would understand it if, in our performances, we created the possibility for psi to happen. But generally that is not our modus operandi. Usually its all 'rigged' and the outcomes are steadfast known in advance.

So what does being a real or 'fake' mentalist mean then? I'm not trying to be argumentative here. You have made excellent points and I'm just trying to understand this one.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Nikodini, you need a hard kick up the proverbial 'jacksie'.
I'm with Jack Galloway, Enriqe and Bartle on this. I might know more about tricks than they do, but that's all I've got, me and my tricks. talk about a sham reality.
Surely guys like us should be the last ones to excuse ourselves and leave!

Bobser.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1911 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 13:24, Greg Owen wrote:

Not sure I understand this. I would understand it if, in our performances, we created the possibility for psi to happen. But generally that is not our modus operandi. Usually its all 'rigged' and the outcomes are steadfast known in advance.

So what does being a real or 'fake' mentalist mean then? I'm not trying to be argumentative here. You have made excellent points and I'm just trying to understand this one.

- Greg Owen

Basically, to be truly successful AND congruent you need to believe in what you are telling your audiences you are doing - regardless of the "how".

One way to do this is the Chan Canasta route - tell them exactly what you are doing but couched in vague enough terms and presented entertainingly enough that you get away with it. Derren Brown has taken this a few steps further but I personally think his current TV shows miss out on the entertainment aspect and he's become a tad preachy as well. I also think in the main it's a weaker presentation - like telling kids there's no Santa you are kind of taking the edge and the mystery away.

Another way is, as hinted at in some of Bob Cassidy's works most recently and also in some of the truly great classics, is to become someone who truly believes in what they are doing. I don't necessarily mean that you believe in every fruit n nit case that comes along but your acting and presentation become so much better. I started readinsg many moons ago and had the mentality that it was all fake. Most clients were more than happy with what I delivered but I felt something was missing. So I treated it seriously - I learnt supposedly real palmistry and studied the tarot and based my readings on that and my whole "performance" is so much better because I am doing what I really say I am doing. The same thing applies to Mentalism. Before you p**k that b**l*t REALLY try to read the person's mind, really visualise yourself picking something up from them. Many hypnosis texts also advocate believing that you have a power emananating from your fingertips. These things truly help and truly work and I personally believe are important and integral points to being a Mentalist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When one is introduced to a psychic. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL