The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Fountains and Acorns - Tim Shoesmith (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
A friend from the US emailed me to tell me about a great British magician he had seen at the Magic Castle recently. It turns out it was someone I had seen over here in a couple of close-up competitions and someone who has a good reputation as a real worker.

Tim Shoesmith has just put his lecture notes for sale online and I just bought the two sets - one is focussed on kids magic and the other on close-up for adults. My main interest is close-up so I was keen to see those. The notes themselves are 34 pages and contain several routines directly from Tim's award winning act as well as some thoughts on performance in general (very interesting reading)

My favourite bit was Tim's handling of Jon Allen's Double Back. If you do this trick or have ever thought about doing it then you need to see Tim's handling. You can tell that he does this trick all the time! With this version it seems nothing like a packet trick.

If you have seen Tim's act at the Magic Castle or were there when he came 2nd in the Magic Circle Close-up competition you will know Tim's ambitious card/card to pocket routine. It's a fun routine with lots of moves and things happening. This is described in detail. I perform a repeat card to pocket with the whole deck going to the pocket and there is a subtlety described here that I will start using straightaway (kind of an extra 'beat' before the final reveal).

The notes also contain a ring on string routine, thoughts on watch steals and more. The only downside is I think there could have been a bit more proofreading as I noticed a few errors. Never mind, that didn't hamper my enjoyment of the notes too much!

At £10 for the hard copy and £7 for the download (less than $14) they are definitely worth checking out!

Recommended! From http://timsmagic.net/shop/index.php
Just a magic lovin dude
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Hmm they sound dead good but are they suitable for intermediate magciians? I can do some 2 and 3 star tricks but not all. I liek the sound of the tricks.

Please advise.

Chris
funnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
The funny farm
166 Posts

Profile of funnymagic
I would like to see a review of the kids notes too. Has anyone got them?
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-05-03 18:02, Chris Jones wrote:
Hmm they sound dead good but are they suitable for intermediate magciians? I can do some 2 and 3 star tricks but not all. I liek the sound of the tricks.

Please advise.

Chris

Yes, I think they are suitable for intermediate magicians.
Just a magic lovin dude
PeterMagicMan
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of PeterMagicMan
I met Tim recently and have recently got his lecture notes. The notes on adult entertaining are very good I particularly liked his ideas on Jon Allen's Double Back. A great trick in its own right but with Tim's handeling it is turned from a packet trick into a miracle. There is also some heavy duty card stuff at the end for those who want to break their fingers.

Anyway the reason for posting was someone asked about the lecture notes on children's entertaining. I do children's shows and found these notes very useful. He has a very nice balloon model which he uses at the beginning of the show which is explained in detail. A version of the magic painting which leaves the child with the painting to keep. I have tried it and it really impresses the partents. One mother insisted that I did the same effect for her child when she booked me. There is stuff on games and psychology of entertaining. He also has a DVD, I have ordered it but I think it covers the same information that is in the notes. I will post a review when I get it.

Tim is clearly a thinker and the notes reflect that, he explains why he does things. He says his background is in acting and his shows have a theatrical feel to them.

I noticed that Aaron criticised the spelling and this is true there are a number of errors but both sets of notes are clear and an easy read.

Anyway I hope this helps you can take a look on http://timsmagic.net/shop/index.php
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-05-16 19:13, PeterMagicMan wrote:
I particularly liked his ideas on Jon Allen's Double Back.

Yes, me too. I do this handling all the time now. The notes are worth getting for this alone I think!
Just a magic lovin dude
PeterMagicMan
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of PeterMagicMan
Sorry Aaron I've been away. Good to hear another Tim Shoesmith fan. There is some very good thinking on magic in the notes too. I have begun to master some of the ambitious card moves in the appendix. Have you tried the card location, its very short and sweet. Combination of Red Hot Mama and a straight card location. Very nice idea. I've now got the DVD so I'll let people know what its all about when I have time.
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
Yes, I have tried it. It's very good!

Look forward to seeing your review of the DVD.
Just a magic lovin dude
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Fountains and Acorns - Tim Shoesmith (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL