The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Greg Wilson's Stop Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I've owned Double Take for over a year but just today thought I'd try that stop trick with the tabled double. I think it's the perfect magician fooler, particularly if you let the spectator shuffle the deck prior to the effect. Anyone perform this one? And is this method original with Wilson? It just seems like it would be a very old method of doing this trick.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
mikkpe
View Profile
New user
Denmark
51 Posts

Profile of mikkpe
I can't really say anything about the trick you mentioned, but I can say that Greg Wilson ROCKS. I was at one of his lectures a couple days ago... all I've got to say is BOOMERANG CARD OF DEATH... that's a cool effect.

In the break he borrowed a deck of cards and started doing a couple moves and flourishes like the curly cue fan thingy... grrr I hate that guy Smile
Mind Bullets
View Profile
Loyal user
200 yards away
258 Posts

Profile of Mind Bullets
Hi Platt,

I've been working on this effect. It's a rather bold move, and if your cards are too "clean", the tabled double too easily separates. It works better with a deck that's a little "dirty". (cards don't slide apart as readily) The "bold" part to me is, the audio-visual illusion of thumbing off the top card. I'm still working on it to get it to look natural and convincing.

I've had mixed reactions to the other two effects he teaches with the "Stop Trick." The "Double Monte" can be squirrelly, when I go to lift the card off the table while thumbing apart the double. The "7-up" has gotten better reactions, especially with the blue-backed kicker at the end.

By the way, did you catch what G. Wilson did on the first demonstration of the "Double Monte"? Hint: He doesn't use a DL on the first demo.' Only on the subsequent demo' (he does it a second time) and the explanation. The first demo' uses a deceptive visual retention move. It's so visually convincing that I don't use a DL anymore on this effect.

Cheers,
Jim
groovy
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of groovy
This move is featured on Derren Brown's 'Devil's Picturebook' video and I'm not sure if he makes a reference to its origin. It works perfectly in his 3 Card routine and when dealt in a row, leading right up to the tabled double.

The only other tip I can offer is to stay clear of shiny or wooden surfaces as both cards slide and the effect is far from convincing.

Groovy
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
This sounds very much like an effect from the Secret Sessions that is an open prediction. A card is placed on the table. The deck is shuffled and then a number of cards are dealt (specs choice). The card at the number is the mate of the tabled card.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Greg Wilson's Stop Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL