The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which of Burger's books does he discuss framing an effect to have meaning? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Eugene speaks of framing an effect to give it meaning on one of his restaurant magic videos and I believe in one of his books.

I'm looking to explore this concept even further through reading and write to see if anyone knows which of his books explores, explains his thoughts on this topic.

Thanks in advance.
Skinny Fatts
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
106 Posts

Profile of Skinny Fatts
"The Experience of Magic" ; Kaufman and Greenberg. pp. 15-17.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Profile of seraph127
I also recommend the book he cowrote with Robert Neale, Magic and Meaning. As an appetizer, I offer the following quote:

"In a magical experience the props, as symbols, point beyond themselves to the larger mystery."

I also suggest taking a look at Neale's effect in that book titled "Sole Survivor". I've never cared much for Neale's dialogue, but notice how the effect takes PATEO and transforms it from a strange and arbitrary selection proceedure to an integral element of the plot.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Which of Burger's books does he discuss framing an effect to have meaning? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL