The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » CorPlast props? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I'm looking at using CorPlast sheets to make a Square-Circle and was wondering if anyone else has used this stuff for prop building. I'm not going to make a very big S-C. Just big enough for parlor type magic. I just was thinking of keeping things light and easy. If you have an X-Acto knife, you have all the specialized tools you need for construction.

Sammy the Kid
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Sammy,

Corplast is certainly lightweight. There is no doubt that a prop built from it will weigh much less than a wooden or metal S.C.

However, what you'll gain in lightness has to be weighed against what you're going to give up in durability.

This material, as you know is great for sign making, but certainly isn't built for trouping. You would need to build another one after a while.

The good thing about it is that it comes in many different colors and could easily be customized to specific clients. I have a friend who used corplast on a slightly larger scale. He made a victory carton illusion out of the material to produce a ceo for a one time show... sort of a disposable illusion if you will...

Lyndel
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I've used it to make R/C airplanes and it seems durable enough for a 30 MPH crash (landings are tough), but I believe you might be right about packing and unpacking and using for practice and presentation. I believe I will still make a S-C out of it for a mockup as I want a very elaborate Victorian filigree cutout on the front of a nice wooden one. This way I will have a good idea if the pattern will work before I take the scroll saw to a good piece of wood.

Sammy the Kid
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Sammy,

30 mile per hour crash?! Ouch! It's tough stuff alright! But I think that through time, using it as a material for magic props - the really pretty finish the prop had to start with, will begin to show scratches, etc. or come apart at the seams during a performance. Of course, I guess one could say the same about wood or metal huh?

Let me know how it works for you and how it holds up!

Lyndel
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
At 30mph it bounces pretty good. You'd be surprised what this stuff'll tolerate. Its too heavy now that I've gone to electric powered planes, so I just need to do something with the stuff I got stuck back. You know how it is....

Sammy the Kid
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Alos don't forget it come in different thicknesses. We have a tip over trunk previously owned and buily for Greg Wilson. Is is made of Corplast that is 5/8" thick. It is impossible to crush by hand, you cant even make a dent in it. The trunk has held up very by when owned by Greg and now by us. We have added a different facade to it to make it look like Santa's Toy Shop. The underlying facade is a haunted house look.

There are some great things that can be done with it.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Where do you find Corplast? I checked at Home Depot and couldn't find it. I have some projects I'd like to complete and this stuff sounds like my answer.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Muzicman,

Any sign maker in your area will carry it and will probably re-sell it to you in large sheets.

Lyndel
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Also most plastic distributors will have it as well. Plus they are more likely to have the thicker sheets than your typical sign company carries.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
Here is a p;astic compant that has CorePlast and more information about it that

you will ever need to know http://www.regal-plastics.com

Mike Walsh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » CorPlast props? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL