The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Scarne's Magic Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Metius
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
175 Posts

Profile of Metius
How good is that book? I've never heard talking about it on the Café and from the TOC it seems pretty good.
Eppure una volta avetti sette in latino...(G.Marziano)
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
It has some real gems in it and you can get it for about 6 bucks in paperback.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10767 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
When I was a kid this was my bible for magic
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1804 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Great book, should be in every library...
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I picked it up in January. It is wonderful. Lots of great stuff. Some things like cigarette routines probably have less play today.

It is a great jumping off point. You can freshen up some of the routines, but the thinking is superb and everything is well explained.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
I have this book and I am always referring to it. The book is a MUST in any magicians library
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
"Scarne's Magic Tricks" is a great book. An even better book is "Scarne's Tricks" which is comprised of two of Scarne's books (one on card tricks and the other on non-card tricks) the two books that make up this compilation book are:

"Scarne's Magic Tricks" (mentioned above and which has 201 magic tricks), and ,
"Scarne on Card Tricks" (which has 155 card tricks)

The tricks are essentially either self working or requiring minimal sleight of hand. These tricks are essentially "bare-bones" methodology descriptions and with very little (if any) presentation scripts being given. (Gosh! You have to script your own original presentations!! What won't they think of next?) No elaborate props are required, and, for the most part, the tricks use "ordinary" (or easily obtainable) objects.

In the card effects section there are lots of effects listed from the likes of Dai Vernon, Francis Carlyle, Matin Gardner, Cardini, Bob Hummer, Charles Jordan, Oscar Weigle, Dr. Jacob Daly, Joseph Dunniger, Clayton Rawson, Audley Walsh---just to name a few of the many many contributors.

In the magic tricks section, the 201 tricks are largely listed without attribution---probably because many of the effects are older than dirt and are not the staple of any one particular magician.

This is really a "must-have" book, IMHO. You can usually find this hardbound book on sale on eBay for somewhere between $6.00-12.00.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
I love Scarne on Card Tricks, there are some great tricks in there!
Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
Does this book contain Scarne's 3-ball routine? I am not much of a cardworker but I like tricks with balls, cigarettes ( I do not smoke but some friends do), coins, etc.

I have heard that Scarne's 3-ball routine is good and I do not have Stars of Magic Book. Is the routine in "Scarne's tricks"?

Thanks

Eva
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
smartie_28
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of smartie_28
I only have Scarne on Card Tricks, but I don't believe that his magic trick book has it either, I believe that it is in the Stars of Magic book.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Metius:

Both books by Scarne have many great effects by such famous Magicians and Mentalists as:

Joseph Dunninger, Martin Gardner, Al Baker, Charles Jordan, Dai Vernon, Nate Leipzig, Cardini, Harry Houdini, Herman the Great, Theodore Annemann, Harry Lorayne, Howard Thusrton, Le Paul, Edward Marlo, Al Cohn, General U. F. Grant, Blackstone, Max Malini, Nikola, Harlan Tarbell, Si Stebbins, and many many others.

You cannot go wrong buying this book. It’s a great “classic” magic book that has many good general magic effects.

Gerard
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
gfajuri
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of gfajuri
The Three Ball Routine was published in Stars of Magic - also a MUST own book. It is not, however, in Scarne's Magic Tricks.

Best,

Gabe Fajuri
apple123
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of apple123
There are some nice tricks in it, none of them however to do with cards. IMO his book scarne on card tricks is a far superior book. In fact it is one of my favorite books.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2005-06-20 18:16, Eva wrote:
Does this book contain Scarne's 3-ball routine? I am not much of a cardworker but I like tricks with balls, cigarettes ( I do not smoke but some friends do), coins, etc.

I have heard that Scarne's 3-ball routine is good and I do not have Stars of Magic Book. Is the routine in "Scarne's tricks"?

Thanks

Eva

It does contain lots of tricks with the apparati you mention though, along with many other everyday items, I concur that this book is excellent, tons of information, as far as I'm concerned this is up there with Dunningers encyclopedia as one of my favourites...
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
This is another rare treasure. Especially to those who have the most experiencial knowledge of performing. Not everyone who owns it, or reads about it here will know what potential it contains. This is what the "new stuff" that is being recycled on the market today is being mined from. This, and so many other "little" resources just like it. The price on mine says $3.50. The future of magic is practically free to those who really know where to look. Smile

(Scarne on Card Tricks is another subject to be discussed altogether. Each a universe unto itself.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Scarne's Magic Tricks (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL