The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I am about to write a letter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RizlaDizla
View Profile
New user
Essex UK
34 Posts

Profile of RizlaDizla
I am about to write a letter to the manager of a restaurant I recently dined at. While I was seated I noticed quite a few families coming into the establishment and then leaving again (due to long wait for tables). One family, with kids, stood and waited for about 40 minutes till they were seated.

I thought it would be best to phone them first, so I could get the managers name. Thought it would be best to address it to Mr. John Smith than simply “The Manager”

When I phoned a man answered and I got a bit nervous in case it was the manager himself. Luckily it wasn’t and he was extremely helpful. He gave me the name I needed and asked what the letter was about. After telling him, he replied back saying he thought it was a great idea and something the manager would be very keen to know more.

This got me very excited, as this was my first time contacting a restaurant for work.

Right, now back to that letter…
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Best of luck with the restaurant your interested in. A friend of mine performs in restaurants all the time and loves it. It is a great place to really learn magic. You will have fun entertaining people, while being able to constantly practice your effects, getting them down pat.

Be prepared to "get busted" by the customers on occasion while performing an effect. Just laugh it off and chalk it up to education. That just means you need to work on it some more. No big deal.

I agree that it was better to get the managers name and personalize your letter, but don't feel the need to explain to anyone who answers the phone why your calling. It is a personal matter and people call all the time wanting to know their name.

Be prepared, when you go to meet the manager, to perform a couple of effects so they can see how good you are. You won't need to do an entire act, just 2 or 3 of your favorites to give them an idea of what you do. You might also want to do something other than a card routine as well. Make sure it is "table magic" or something suitable for walk around. It needs to be done in the hand, and not on the table.

Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes...Mark.
RizlaDizla
View Profile
New user
Essex UK
34 Posts

Profile of RizlaDizla
Quote:
On 2005-05-04 08:50, mrunge wrote:
when you go to meet the manager, to perform a couple of effects so they can see how good you are. You won't need to do an entire act, just 2 or 3 of your favorites to give them an idea of what you do.

Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking of showing the manager the sort of routines I will be performing on the customers.

You think it would be best to do my best effects even if some might not be the best for the restuarant? ie fire tricks, cups and balls etc.
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
Personally, I think it should be your best effects that you would normally perform at the restuarant.
RizlaDizla
View Profile
New user
Essex UK
34 Posts

Profile of RizlaDizla
1 of my sets is

opener: Coin Production and Vainish
followed by
Coin Thru table a few times (ups and downs j.s)
middle:
Holy Moly (j.s)
or
Sponge balls, ear plugs routine
closer:
ACR with Torched and Restored or Card to Wallet ending.

I was planning on performing that for the manager.
Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Profile of Matthew Bennett
Good luck, if you haven't got the job already! I just wanted to add that Torched and Restored is not a good table effect, due to the angles. Anyone in the 180 degrees behind you will see what you are doing. Torched is a brilliant effect, and I still want to find a way to do it at a restaurant, but I can't find a way. Let me know if you come up with one!!!

Matthew
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

twitter.com/matthewabennett
facebook.com/matthew.alan.bennett
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
With the deepest respect, I would suggest that you might want to NOT perform any magic that involves fire until and unless you get permission from the management AND until you are certain that fire effects are permitted by the laws of the local jurisdictions. Some jurisdictions allow fire effects but only after review of the same and the obtaining of a special permit. Check with the local fire inspector.

The reason I am suggesting the above is that, because of the infamous night club fire(s) of a few years back, lots of jusrisdictions have really clamped down on any pyrotechnic effects AND lots of insurance companies might exclude such types of activities from their insurance coverage (or at least add expensive riders to the insurance package).

In such cases, it wouldn't score you many points with management to perform an illegal or potentially dangerous effect during an audition. At best, the management would think that you are inexperienced for not knowing the local fire regs; at worst, they would be pi**ed as he** that you performed so dangeous an effect on their premises.

That said, this is not a problem in all jurisdictions or at all restaurants but it is best to be certain of any such potential issues and problems before performing or auditioning the same.

Just IMHO.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I have always avoided using fire in a close-up situation, especially in a restaurant. There are too many unpredictable aspects of working a restaurant, adding fire to the already chaotic environment is asking for trouble.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You are going about this the right way, and you are getting invaluable advice from fellow posters.
Keep us informed as to how it goes.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
A lot of my restaurant work involves thing like cards, dice, coins, anything that is recognizable. I don't think that I have ever written a letter though, when I broke into it I called and pitched myself right away, however you are putting the guy on the spot so you chances of landing the gig dwindle but it has been serving me well... good luck with it.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Many folks here have suggested that, rather than perform a few effects for the manager, you'd do better by offering to perform for a couple of tables, giving the manager an opportunity to watch. In truth, it doesn't matter (well, it hardly matters) whether the manager likes your magic; what matters is whether he likes the effect that your magic has on his customers.
Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Ok. About the fire thing - I do Torched and Restored with a glue stick instead of a lighter, as recommended in the instructions. So I don't even think about the fire part of it. I was just recommending for angles. Sorry, I don't know why I felt the need to defend myself!!! Ok, back to the REAL TOPIC!...
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-05-27 05:14, mab77iii wrote:
Ok. About the fire thing - I do Torched and Restored with a glue stick instead of a lighter, as recommended in the instructions. So I don't even think about the fire part of it. I was just recommending for angles. Sorry, I don't know why I felt the need to defend myself!!! Ok, back to the REAL TOPIC!...

Mab77iii,

Please don't feel the need to defend yourself. And, if you took my post the wrong way, I certainly apologize for it. You had specifically asked for suggestions and you had also mentioned perfroming "Torched and Restored". I was only trying to suggest an issue that you might not have considered in your potential presentation and I didn't want you to "queer the deal" over something such as this that could be easily avoided if you felt that it might become an issue and then a "deal-breaker".

No one on the Café (least of all me) was trying to come down on you. Good luck in your endeavor.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Mike. I didn't feel bad at all. Your "no fire" advice is good advice to follow. I was responding to RizlaDizla because of the angles of the trick, and you responded because of the fire in the trick. I guess I just didn't want everyone to think that I was using fire in my sets.

This is a great place, this Magic Café!!!

Matthew
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

davetylermagic
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of davetylermagic
Hi I had a problem a few months back using a simple flash trick, the management were fine about me doing it but above one of the tables was the fire detector head and yes, you guessed it the fire alarm went off. I know it sounds silly now but I had been doing it for sveral weeks before this incident, anyway the manager was fine and we all had a good laugh including the customers who had to leave hte building.
It is just something to bear in mind look up before you light.
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
Check out the Ultimate Insider Secrets course from Dave Dee. It doesn't specifically answer this question but it talks about lead generation letters which, with some simplealterations will work.

Cheers,
Tm
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Just as stated by S2000, I always suggest to the manager about a few tables especially "regulars". Also, don't make it look like(to the table) that you are trying to prove something. Make it seem as though you are a regular there!!! Treat the situation like you would if you already have the gig and have been there for some time. Though (as an afternote) when doing ACR, I love to get the table involved by telling them that the only "real" way to find their card is with applause and cheering. As far as management is concerned they love your effects. SOLD JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I always offered a free night so that the manager could watch me interact with their guests and see for themselves the impact that hiring a magical entertainer could bring to their business. Don't talk about money until after he sees you in action. I have not done any tricks for a manager on purpose...my first restaurant job I actually did perform for the owner and he hired me on the spot (pure luck).

Remember you're there to make them money through repeat business, word of mouth advertisement from people that have seen you, and by keeping people there when it's busy. You'll be fine and get hired if you pitch your sevices in that respect - making the restaurant money as opposed to just being a guy who does magic at tables. You're there to increase their business.

Also, you should have some ideas as to why hiring a magician is better than hiring some other type of entertainer: clown, balloon artist, karaoke, charicature, or live band. If they don't bring up any of them you should STILL tell them why hiring a magician is better for business than each other form of entertainment for their restaurant.

This has worked for me very well and I hope it does for you as well. I honestly said one day, I'm gonna go get another restaurant today and had one within 2 hours.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I am about to write a letter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL