The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Season and the Future. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
With most of us starting the season at Easter this year it has been noticed that many venues have changed the guidelines here in the UK.
The National Trust who were happy to have free entertainment in their car park areas now consider the extra parking more important than the entertainment. So Avebury,Stonehenge and the like are now a no,no.
The private owned NT supported venues are still open to offers,Longleat,Bowood,Hampton Court and Windsor are still operational providing you are working within there own shows (Which of course are private sponsorship).
However there is light at the end of the tunnel with Salisbury and Wells now completely open, just about anywhere in these Cities is OK so things are looking good on this front.

On the outside show front there are many promoters still unable to find acts willing to travel to them so once more this is an oportunity missed by the score,,,,why more street workers don't move into this area amazes me, with captive audiences and good hats it`s easy and a pleasure to do.

The Ren Faires are looking further afield as once more mix and mingle and street acts are hard to find, so much so that it is possible that two of the largest will be changing their theme to Pirate or Wildwest for next season instead of the usual med or vic,at the Moredon Fair last weekend they could only book one mix/mingle act for the complete four days and they were working to 20,000 plus per day,,,look at the loot that was there for the taking!!

So where are all the street entertainers in the UK ?
They are not in the Garden (Well there were only three jugglers there last week when we attended,,,Friday) With NASE we had a flyer with info on so that we knew where we could be accepted or not but NASE seems to have vanished.

This coming weekend we will be at Goldington again, last year there were seven street workers in action but this year it looks like only half of that number will be turning up,,,if this is the trend then in a few years time many doors could be slammed in our faces and that would be a shame.

Your thoughts,,from the UK (Doer`s only please) Would be interesting.
circuskevin
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
60 Posts

Profile of circuskevin
Hi Kondini,

I have a copy of 'The Busker' July 2003. In this final issue, J.Arno, who ran NASE says this:-
" I have some bad news as far as the association goes. I have decided to sell up, take early retirement, and move to Thailand, where I intend to 'grow old disgracefully'. I am looking for a volunteer to take over the running of NASE. I have a volunteer who is willing to keep the web site going. I will be moving in the new year, but I will return for some working holidays. So if anyone fancies the job, please let me know."

Kevin
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I'm not familiar with NASE...is that a UK thing?
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks Kondini

As you know I am a street performer.
Now I have got a copy of the showman’s directory as you suggested to me in the pass.

I must admit I have failed to securer any work; all get my foot in the door.

June and July are now booked up for me but I am available to busk around other times.

If there is good events where I can just turn up and busk and do well that sounds too good to pass up.

The negative of the Showman’s Directory is unless you have been to an event I have known way to no if it will be good.

The last thing I want to do is chase dead end leads when I can work on my door step.
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes Mario you have a point,but really the only way is to try it yourself,what may be good for me could be rotten for you.It has taken me twenty plus years to get a solid season under my belt on a regular basis,there are no shortcuts to this.
There are rules to follow,,,mine are 1.Dont crash a show.2,Find out numbers attended the previous year.3.Never chance doing a new show.4,Make it clear to a show organizer that you normaly charge a fee but as you are in their area working the week before, it would be nice if you could perform at their show!!! 5,When they get back to you(They will) To see if you would like to attend the following year,,,,always make a charge (No matter how small)And increase each year.6.EVERY show you get,contact the Local Press in the area and get them to come see(Human interest stories are the secret,will say no more).
If these rules are followed you will soon get a nose for it.

If you can make good money working on your own doorstep then I would stick to that,,,I can`t.

Each week from April to November is an adventure for me,,,I love it,,,,it pays well,,very well.You meet some really great (And not so great )People,and get paid what your really worth,,,if you don`t want to work,then you get nothing,,,if you want a lot of doh you can earn it this way.

There are NO guarrantees doing Street Work or Show work, however this is still a very untapped market.
Ken
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
I'm at Covent Garden a few times each week at the moment and am currently getting booked up for a few festivals and events in june/july. Thorughout the UK.

I'm London based so I focus my energies there, with Covent Garden being main one. I'm not familiar with what NASE is (can anyone enlighten us?)

I also have other avenues of performing work that I also focus on particularly cabaret which at moment has me very busy, so maybe I'm not pushing as hard for street work as I would if it was my only avenue of work.

Your advice above is helpful Kondini. I only went pro last year (after 9 yrs semi pro)I only did my first street show earlier this year and am loving it.

Kindest Regards

DAK
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Good for you,,,,you have been bitten by the Street Bug,,,this will be your downfall as it has been for so many of us.
I wished only to point out that there are many ways to skin the cat doing street entertaining and with so many apparantly working I find it very hard to trace where?

NASE was the National Association of Street Entertainers mainly aimed at us here in the UK,, the site is still working but that looks about it.
It was a way to exchange info and Jake did a good job at promoting what we do.
Good luck to him and his new venture,hahaha he has got a life fun in more ways than one!!!!

Lucky git.
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Hey guys...I will be in London for a few days this summer and would love to do some busking at Covent Garden while I am there. Do you know if any permits or needed?

Thanks so much!

Allan
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Hi Allan,

licenses/permits are needed, if you are only over for a few days, it's umlikely you'll be able to get one as auditions are held once a month,

Sorry!

DAK
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
You could work the South Bank, London which is good.
Mario
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Thanks for the info guys! Are permits needed then for the South Bank?

Allan
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Not when I was there last year there was talk but I reckon you will be ok.
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Dave Solo was working the Goldington gig last weekend and from all reports went down very well.This was his first outing into the outside show market and I am sure it will be the first of many.
His act worked as a mix and mingle with sets of twenty minuets in different parts of the ground,it worked well, with the Paper Wizard,P&J,myself and a solitory stilt walker the twenty acre site was starved for entertainment and entertainers.
It looks as though this will continue next weekend at Brands Hatch with only two side arena acts to cover the 56,000 people expected!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Season and the Future. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL