The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Create Your Own Magic" by Jay Sankey is out! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I read this entire post. The one who I agree with is Platt. Jay Sankey used to have some GREAT magic. Look back at his contributions to Richard's Almanac and Apocolypse! Airtight, HPC-CPH, Royal Rivet, Bandaid! The list goes on. The Sankey Pankey book! All of this was exceptional. I think that he is gotten a bit of Penguin fever. It seems to me like he is for sure their "resident-name" He releases magic exclusively for them on almost a weekly basis. He has a reputation and they are trying to cash in on it. When you have pressure like that, you're bound to create crap. When he was just a simple magician from Canada and was just being discovered by people like Kaufman, his new brand of comedy sleight of hand was a beauty to behold. Now he's stuck in a rut. I kind of feel like he is clinging to fame by a hair. It's a shame yes, but what can you do. Look at movie stars. You know they're on the way out when they start doin life insurance and medical commercials....He's kind of at that point. Trying to stay in tghe lime light, even if it means releasing half-a**ed material. This is simply an opinion. I wouldn't but the DVD, simply because it doesn't sound appealing to me. I have seen work from his "Penguin Era." Not that impressive to me. However, I have the bound Almanac and I treasure his material in there. His Rev. Coin Magic tapes and his older books are great. Newer stuff....ehhhhh...Oh well. The sooner he realizes that we don't need new stuff from him once a month, year, DECADE even...the better off he'll be. Sit around. Create. Polis your stuff. Then release mit over time. Keep us wanting more. Slow down and calm down. he magical fraternity can wait. And you'll have better magic and a deeper respect.

Regards,
Jonathan Brown
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
But Jonathan, are you saying that some of his latest effects like In A Flash, Signed, Singed and Delivered, Holy oly and many others are not worth our attention. They may not interest every person. That is right. But I think he still releases great effects. It's just that not all of them are of the same caliber.

And I feel people sometimes exaggerate regarding the duplication of the same exact effects. These effects are not that many and if you look around, many other magicians do the same.

Anyway. Jay is stopping working exclusively with Penguin. The last project with them is going to be his Greatest Hits DVD set. From then on all his material will be available from other dealers as well.

Nordatrax, I don't think I am coming to CAM. How is it this convention? Is it good? I was planning for FISM next year, but I don't know...
Yours,

Ivan
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
CAM is for shizzle.
Is it worth coming from Europe for? don't know. But its worth coming from the US for.

My two favs are CAM and MagiFest in Ohio.

yes, he has come out with a few good tricks in the past 3 years (if you call stealing tricks and releasing them in your name creating, but Ill let Nik go on about that. He enjoys it oh so much.) but it doesn't justify the countless releases hes put out in that time.

like 20-30 things (marketed effects/videos/pamphlets) easy, and close to probably 100 tricks, and we get five out of them?

In comparison, take David Regal. if you want creative and clever effects, look for his work. hes what Sankey used to be,
but arguably more clever.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
Niva,
I agree with you. He has had some gems out in the last few years. AND some of thie newer stuff, a lot of people REALLY like. BUT...the majority is dilluted with stuff just put out to mee the status quo. Sankey is a great magician. I enjoy his performance and his creativity. I think however, he is losing his luster with the way he releases his material and with who...(no need to elaborate). He will come around eventually, I hope. I would love to see the old Jay, with the ingenious ideas he used to have. And not see 2 items a month from him on mediocre magic. One GREAT accomplishment is more to me than 1000 little ones. Just my opinion and I respect everyone elses. Love him or hate him, Sankey has made an impression on magic for years to come.

Regards,
Jonathan Brown
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
JEEZ!

SOMEONE POST A REVIEW SOON???

This is ridicilous, 3 pages with ONLY speculations and talking about how sankey was good and isn't anymore and stuff like that.

Someone go ahead and give a review instead, Jeez!
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I'm trying to get a copy, and ill give an objective review later.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
It's been 2 weeks...
Anyone watched the dVD yet?
anticoin
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of anticoin
Okay
Everyone has settled down...
Some of you would have bought and viewed this DVD
Is this just another typical theory talk magic??
Anything inspiring? Common sense stuff?
Honest opinions guys
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-05-07 22:56, stevenamills wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-07 17:55, LR2 wrote:

With all due respect - I think Sankey is fair game considering the quality of his recent releases. Just IMHO.
sam

Sam,
I'm a little confused. You say that the recent quality of his videos makes him fair game for criticism... His recent releases are things like 22 blows to the head, Boris Pocus, Front row sankey... all of which are incredible videos. In fact, Front Row Sankey could be the best material he's ever released... Boris is THE most entertaining video magic/teaching video I've ever watched. Obviously these are just opinions, but I find it hard to say that his recent releases justify criticizing a new project.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
No, I wasn't kidding. I don't see any point in elaborating either though. Nobody here would ever come close to agreeing with me.

Ryan,

I feel I'm pretty open-minded. I'd be willing to hear you out. Why do you feel that we'd be better off without those particular effects.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-07-16 00:57, jstone wrote:
Quote:
No, I wasn't kidding. I don't see any point in elaborating either though. Nobody here would ever come close to agreeing with me.

Ryan,

I feel I'm pretty open-minded. I'd be willing to hear you out. Why do you feel that we'd be better off without those particular effects.

Ryan,

Sorry about that post. I just found the post you made where you accused Sankey of stealing paperclipped... Where did he steal it from?
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Ryan,

I'm trying to be open minded here. You said that Sankey stole PaperClipped and other effects. I'm still waiting for you to post the source, but you haven't. If you do post it, and I verify it, then I'll eat crow, but if you don't, then I'll have to presume what almost everyone else is presuming... that you are making unfounded claims.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Its hard to believe Jay Sankey STOLE paperclipped and were hearing about it NOW!
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-07-20 23:59, God-glorified wrote:
Its hard to believe Jay Sankey STOLE paperclipped and were hearing about it NOW!

I agree 100%. I'm just trying to be a gentleman and give Ryan a chance to back up his claim. He said that nobody would believe him and that backing up his position would be pointless (I'm paraphrasing). Well I'm giving him the chance to be believed, but he's only hurting himself by not providing the evidence.

My guess is that there is no evidence because Sankey did NOT steal it. However, I'm still willing to give Ryan a chance to prove his case... but so far... he hasn't
Larry Beckwith
View Profile
New user
Boise, Idaho
20 Posts

Profile of Larry Beckwith
Jay was a great creator in his younger days. I purchased several of his DVD's from penguin and was shocked at the quality of the material jay was putting out. But I guess you have to do what it takes to put dinner on the table. I don't think I would look into purchasing anymore of his DVD's in the future.
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 16:13, Nordatrax wrote:
Of course hes not ashamed!!!!

You son of a guns keep buying it!!!!!!

You know what, while the internet IS plauged with people who criticise without forethought, themagiccafe is plauged with people who defend crap because they think criticism is the same as disdain.

It isn't.

You can say a sankey video sucks without meaning sankey sucks.

I love sankey. I own lots of his stuff. But I'm not going to turn off my brain, like many of you seemed to have, and just say since I like him I have to buy everything he comes out with.

I say download it.

wait, don't get angry, let me explain.

I download a video, and if I enjoy it, or if I find the information valuable, I buy it.

its like what many record stores are doing (HMV for instance). you can open any cd, listen to it, and if you like it, you buy it.

this method, if people were to do it more, would force people to put out better quality material.

you cant spend thousands to put out a dvd to only sell $600 worth because people are downloading it, seeing its crap, and not buying it.

but you know what, whatever.

You guys do what ever you like, waste your money.
god-darned chuckle heads.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this idea of downloading magic dvds?!?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I hear magicians say all the time: "If you only get one or two effects out of a book/dvd then it was worth the purchase."

I have purchased several Sankey dvds and have gotten at least two terrific effects out of each one. So for me, the purchase is justified.

One his tape Sankey 1999 he says, (paraphrase) "Some of this stuff is half baked. I'm offering it not as finished material but as an opportunity for you to take it further." I like that. What's wrong with putting out a few things and saying, "Hey, I don't know if this is finished but see what you can do with it"? I'm going to put my own spin on stuff anyway.

The man is a whirling dervish of creativity. I like most of his ideas. But to each his own.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-07-22 10:05, cfrancis wrote:
I hear magicians say all the time: "If you only get one or two effects out of a book/dvd then it was worth the purchase."

I have purchased several Sankey dvds and have gotten at least two terrific effects out of each one. So for me, the purchase is justified.

One his tape Sankey 1999 he says, (paraphrase) "Some of this stuff is half baked. I'm offering it not as finished material but as an opportunity for you to take it further." I like that. What's wrong with putting out a few things and saying, "Hey, I don't know if this is finished but see what you can do with it"? I'm going to put my own spin on stuff anyway.

The man is a whirling dervish of creativity. I like most of his ideas. But to each his own.

AMEN!

Also as far as the old-sankey vs. new-sankey argument, it sounds to me like people aren't watching his new stuff. I mean look at Boris Pocus... that, seriously, has to be one of the best magic videos ever produced. What about front row sankey... there's a ton of awesome, commercial material in there.

Sankey's greatest hits, I haven't seen yet, but I'm gonna buy them just for the stand up comedy and the TV spots.
markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
Fair to say, creat your own magic is a 45 minute DVD, more like an interview with Jay Sankey. It is nice to listen to this over a cappuchino, but you can certainly make a better investment. Other than that, I like him.
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Create Your Own Magic" by Jay Sankey is out! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL