The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu you can do at a Nudist Camp... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Ok, I confess that the Nudist camp bit was just for a catchy topic title, but I thought I'd share my routine for those moments when you literally have nothing in your pockets. For example, I was once nabbed on the beach just after my morning run...

The first trick is the "Joker-Joke Vanish" and it uses an Invisible Deck (surprise). The deck is fanned in front of the spec and they pick a card, memorise it, and return it to the deck. The cards are then shuffled extravagantly and amusingly, setting the mood for the rest of the trick. Any number of bits of business can be inserted here (overhead card spring from hand to hand (exaggerate eyes following cards), one handed cuts, behind the back shuffle etc).

After obtaining agreement deck has been shuffled fairly, you ask the spec to name their card. If they object,all the better, you explain "it's not that type of trick" and slowly drag it out of them.

Once you have the card, point to deck in hand.."Lost somewhere in here is your 4H...". Suddenly, you remember "Oh, you know what, I forgot to take the Joker out before we started..." Fan cards, and raise single selection from middle of fan..."4H, wasn't it?". After the agree, pull out the card and announce "Ok, I've found the JOKER". People are usually laughing now as they realise what you are up to.

Place the joker on the invisible table (handy) and announce the fact. Depending on the spec you can keep piling it on until you are sure they have it - eg "Ok, you chose a card, the.....(lift corner of joker) 4H and then we shuffled...."

Finally, slowly spread the fan and ask the spec if they can see their card. After they respond they cannot, the master magi reveals that the joker has been miraculously transformed to spec's card.

This works well with group and very well with a child and a group of adults, as the kid gets to feel they contributed to the 'effect'. It may read kind of hokey, but can be very funny when presented well.

Depending on the circumstances and the rapport established with the spec, I sometimes follow this with a real trick, one of Brown's mental forces (3D is my favourite). In that case all you need is to borrow a pen and a scrap of paper for your prediction (or a stick to write in the sand).

Cheers,
Nosher
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
214 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
It's a catchy title alright. The only reason I even read the post was because of the title!! LOL
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Whats the effect?? whats magical about that? Are you really going to do that when someone KNOWS you are a magicians and asks you to do a trick? I don't get it at all and I have read your post 3 times... do you actually have a deck?? please clarify as I am going mad to see whaths going on here.. hehe thanks
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Eric,

My apologies, how did those capital letters get in there?

No, there are no props whatsoever, it is an 'invisible' deck, not an Invisible Deck.

On second thoughts, perhaps 'imaginary deck' would have expressed it much less ambiguosly. Thanks for pointing that out (wish I could edit that first post now...)

Cheers,
Nosher
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Ok no I am still confused... I don't get the trick... I don't see the effect... I knew it wasnt an invisible deck you buy at a staore cause the title is impromptu.. I just don't get what the spectator walks away thinking after the "charade"..
woodenmarvels
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of woodenmarvels
I think it is a very cute idea. It's more like mime than magic, but in your mind, magic is being performed - and if you do it well enough, it will be as if it is really real. May I borrow the idea? Thanks, ~MagicAl
Magic is all around us, everywhere, every day. If you would just open your eyes to see it, you would be truly amazed.
Visit my world of automata at: http://www.members.aol.com/churchmouseabc/
~MagicAl
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Woodenmarvels : Glad you liked it, feel free to use it.

Eric : The only effect as such, is that you have performed some magic and had a bit of fun with absolutely no props. Obviously those who use a more serious persona when presenting their magic will not want to use this.

I'm not claiming this is a KK replacement, but in my experience it leaves people with smiles on their faces and that can't be bad. Also, as I said above, if the occasion warrants it makes a good lead-in for some 'real' magic such as the Brown mental force mentioned above (which can be performed with the same imaginary deck).

Cheers,
Nosher
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
How about, after all of that, as suggested by Nosher, you leave the participant with a momento...a mental momento...one that is something catchy that is likely to stay on their mind for a while...it could even be in the form of a suggestion whereby every time the person experiences a particular thing...they are reminded of the "mental" momento that you left them with. I'm DEFINATELY going to be working on this and appreciate your idea, Nosher. Thanks for sharing!
Nicholas
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Um, nudist camp, impromptu....
Star Gazer
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Hedonists make up all the rules.Is an effect in AOA by Paul Harris.all you need is something to write with and something to write on.It involves magicians forces and some clever word play.very easy very astonishing.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3590 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Kathy's Screwy Finger Bit, Magic Menu, Jim Ryan issue. No props except another person. I used it about 20 times friday night after a Graduation Party hypnosis show I did in Mundelein, Il. I can testify that it KILLS!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11478 Posts

Profile of John C
Here's what I showed my kid. You walk into someone's house they say, "hey do a trick." Say, "ok," look around for a piece of small candy etc. Do a false transfer with the candy and before you show the candy has vanished, fake a cough or sneeze. Something that calls for you to cover your mouth. When you cover your mouth eat the small candy. Then come back and show that the item has vanished. You can really do this with no clothes on. But it's not neccessary to derobe in your friend's house. It works with clothes too. Smile

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Elputty
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
111 Posts

Profile of Elputty
Psychokinetic touches, any suggestions routines (A twisted Palm, etc.), a watch steal (assuming someone else has a watch, and you can pull off a watch steal without any misdirection...although at a Nudist Camp I'm sure you could find some misdirection).

I think it was in Magic for Dummies that the author talked about a magician who did the dissapearing quarter where the pencil goes behind your ear. Then follow that up with the vanish of the quarter into your pocket. Apparently someone requested this trick of our creative magician when he was at a nude beach. Instead of ditching the quarter in his pocket he stuck it onto his leg...and the sunscreen held it there. Not quite what you're looking for, but something to do with Nudist camps.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well if you do like I do and wear a loop on ur wrist all the time, you can probably pull off a couple of effects with that, but that is probably cheating under the conditions proposed. By the way, I am highly impressed by the decorum of the members of this forum in avoiding the very obvious "trick" that I know at least a few dozen are bitting their tongues to keep from mentioning.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Gee, Photius, do you mean the Floating Hat Trick? No...I didn't think so.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I read somewhere that Tony Spina did the pencil and quarter vanish in a nude beach. If you know that trick maybe you could give it a try.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2005-05-22 05:52, Lee Darrow wrote:
Kathy's Screwy Finger Bit, Magic Menu, Jim Ryan issue. No props except another person. I used it about 20 times friday night after a Graduation Party hypnosis show I did in Mundelein, Il. I can testify that it KILLS!

Lee Darrow, C.H.

Lee,

Do you know when that issue was published?
chris_johnson_au
View Profile
Regular user
Queensland, Australia
113 Posts

Profile of chris_johnson_au
I prefer to not perform in the nude... mostly because it means I have to pay people instead of the other way around which I prefer.

However, instead of an invisible deck, I do work with an invisible set of dice. Take an "invisible" pair of dice from your pocket, give them to someone and ask them to roll them a few times just to be sure it's a "real" die. You can fill this in with bits of business.

After a bit of byplay, you divine what the numbers are that the spectator rolled. Then you casually ask, "Do you know how I did that?"

Usually, they say it's a number trick (which it is), but it doesn't matter. Whatever their reply, say, "No, you left the dice on the table where I could see them."

It's a little number magic with an entertaining twist that I picked up from one of Bob Longe's books.

All the best,

Chris
Chris Johnson
0433 181 675
www.thementalist.com.au
Rkull
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Rkull
There's a lot of impromptu stuff you can do in a nudist camp! I think this is called "body magic"! More seriously -you can anyway do Twisting Arm- if there's paper and pen, many mental effects will fit. And if smoking isn't banned in your camp, you can do ashes on the palm.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17337 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm working on a new DVD called NAKED ON A BEACH. It is about effects that can be performed with the things you'd find on a beach and nothing more. There are some great methods that also work for walk around and stage. These can also be done on the radio for thousands of listeners if you'd like.
Here's an example Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlr410ufZI
If you have any contributions feel free to add them here Smile
Thanks
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu you can do at a Nudist Camp... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL