The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ok! what next? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RizlaDizla
View Profile
New user
Essex UK
34 Posts

Profile of RizlaDizla
Ok heres my level of coin magic.

I started off with bobos MCM book. I found most of it quite hard to grasp, but after reading many reviews purchased Ammars Intro to Coin Magic. This was great, a big help and made Bobos much easier. I, being a fan of Sankeys stuff had also picked up Rev Coin Magic( 1 of my best dvds ever) and have most of that worked out now. I have no means mastered everything on the DVD but took the bits I liked, and which fitted me and worked on them til I felt ok with them.

I am now on the look for something else but not sure what to get. I would love it to be very visual, in your face coin magic. I am getting into bar and restaruant work so a standing by a table is fine. I have heard some great stuff about Up in Smoke and would also like to try some David Roth stuff. Seeing as I started with Ammar, a more advanced Roth DVD would be great.

Oh almost forgot. I also have the pleasure of owning the J teams 3 dvd set. Altho ive fine been fine with the card stuff, most of the coin work on that series seems a bit above my skill level at present. Im putting most of my time into my coin stuff at tho mo so hopfully will get back soon to the j teams stuff

Thanks in Advanced

Sean
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I would say get Roth. His tapes are great and have effective, visual magic. But his book is my preference.....Also the Kaufman Coin Magic book is superb and all of it is worth reading and breaking down. Another reccomended book is Kenner's Out Of Control. A little advanced, but the coin magic is visually stunning. Not to mention all the other card, rope, cigar and fortune cookie ideas. Smile

Regards,
Jonathan Brown
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
If your planning on doing walk around, then only some of Roth's work would be applicabel. A majority of the routines he is most famous for require a table, and often that the performer is seated. I would highly suggest his expert coin magic book none the less, and a great deal of the stuff in there such as his work with edge grip could be applied to restaurant work. In the area of videos, I would suggest you check out Run Klan's video "Three Pieces of Silver". Some excelent coin work specifically designed for restaurant and walk around. I would also suggest Curtis Kam's Palms of steel videos for some advanced stuff. Some amazing stuff on there, but it is far from easy. Best of luck.

Chris Toomey
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
The step I took after Ammar's Intro to Coin Magic was Cultural Xchange 1 & 2. All the stuff are doable although hard to perfect. I can do all the coin routines but only some are at the performable stage. I also got David Roth's Expert Coin Magic vol 2. I liked the spellbound routine.

So maybe go for vol 2 of David Roth.

Hiro
dblatt25
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dblatt25
FIckel NIckel is AWESOME. it is a great idea that should be embraced, and not looked down upon to thee
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I am fairly new about 8 months into really hardcore coin magic. These are the things that I have and do a few routines from each. I rarely use a table
Cultural Xchange 1&2-Shoot & Appolo
BoBo's
Coinvention-compalation
Coin magic made easy - roth
2005 lecture from- the Dr.
Coin Man Walking-Great great stuff IMHO
A C/S from Schoolcraft
A Kennedy Half Dollar with a S] set
Johnson C/S/B but looking to upgrade (Not a Plug, But hey I love his coins, regardless of all the heat out there)
Going to get Reeds stuff I love his # Fly which you can see in Coinvention.
And still in the search for a great C/S/B Routine. Currently perform Doc Easons version.

Now I hoped that helped.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Personally, I think you should get the david roth dvds before the sankey coins.

If you do coin magic and you don't have the david roth dvd, GET THEM.

If you want knucklebusting angly stuff you can get Cultural Exchange. As you said the Paul Cummins dvds is good, but get the roth dvds first and then in awhile get everything else. Roth perfoms and teaches classic routines that are powerful, practical, and not incredibly difficult.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Bar or restaurant? Look for items by Mike Gallo, Doug Brewer, Mike Wild and have a look at Reed McClintock's material. These people perform in the environment you mentioned.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13404 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I say get brewer's unexpected visitor. a key buy. a great variety of attainable, understandable, usable, angle friendly, fun stuff.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Frank, there is a review of the Doug's material on Dan Watkin's site: http://www.coinvanish.com. Did you find any of the items of particular interest?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
I've read Dan's review on Dougs book. I think I'm going to pick it up, The routines sound pretty slick, and I liked what I seen on the COINvention DVD. It's very cheap on his website! I guess I can't argue with that. Also Angle friendly is good too.
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Doug has also put out a DVD by the same name. You may want to pick that up as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ok! what next? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL