The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in BC Canada (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Excuse my many ????
Are any folk busking BC Canada here?
Where are the best places to busk?
What works and does not from your experience in a show here?
Any Cup and Ball workers out that way at the moment?
Any festivals you can gate crash?
How does the permit system to busk out there?
Do you have any good contacts like web-sites, magic clubs, magic shops or busking societies?
I love to come and visit one day.
Thanks for any thoughts
Mario
The last time I asked about performing in BC, I was told that I would get beaten up by other performers. LOL
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Watch out Mario..

Maybe they are all laying in wait quietly, just so you go there unsuspecting, and they can pounce on you and beat you ....

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Is it true, Canadians wont give you tips?
Mario LOL
You don't have to answer all my questions just one or two if you can!
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
187 Posts

Profile of R Don
The most consistent cups and balls guy in Vancouver must be Ambrose at Granville Island public market.There is some sort of permit system there. there is also a magic shop there "Clowning Around". I don t believe there would be any animosity to another performer.Robson street in evenings can be a good place too. The local magic club is about 120 people. Victoria is another tourist area in summer. It would be good to see you
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Mario. I don't live in BC, but I'm just across the Rockies...

Vancouver and Victoria are very popular and beautiful cities in the summer. Vancouver is, by far, the bigger of the two cities, but both are popular busker destinations.

Vancouver appears to have a bylaw in place that allows buskers without permits to work city parks (no fire, big booms, etc.) unless they are otherwise posted. There appears to have been a move afoot to have downtown buskers pick up a permit, but I can't find any solid evidence that the bylaw ever passed. You will want to check with Vancouver city hall on that one.

If you go, post it here. I try to make it to the coast for part of the summer every year, and I wouldn't mind one more attraction to look forward to.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Ragiv
View Profile
New user
Prince George, BC
95 Posts

Profile of Ragiv
I live in Prince George, BC and I never see any buskers (other than guitar players) around.
Jodie - SOCTV
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5350 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Canadians tip....ask gazzo
koz
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I all ready have.
Mario
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5350 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Smile
good luck in canada...let me know where you are so I can come by and steal some of your material
:)
koz

appended:
Posted: May 15, 2005 2:20pm
Koz
Where are you busking too?
Mario
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1903 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I just recently moved to vancouver and ive seen some buskers at granville island... I was told that you have to audition for a spot there...
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
One of the really popular spots for busking is Granville Island, since lots of tourists go there. A permit system does exist and currently, there are only 2 magicians performing there. The long time magician is Ambrose and he is VERY protective of his territory and what he considers to be his "exclusive right" to perform the cups and balls.

Another area that would be quite popular is the public square in front of the downtown library. This is a huge building with a very nice park in front of it. It is located nearby Robson Street where many tourists like to shop. On a clear sunny day, the place is packed.

You may also want to check out Canada Place. It is a little bit off the downtown core and not quite as busy. However, that is where the local cruise ships dock and if you time it right, it could be worth a show or two.

Every summer, Vancouver has an amusement park called the PnE. If you can get a permit to perform in the amusement ground, you would be guaranteed huge crowds.

That's just a few of the areas in the Greater City of Vancouver where you may want to busk. If you go outside the city and into the Okanagan Valley, there are additional venues as well.

The valley goes absolutely nuts with tourists all summer long. But the Big festival is the Peach Festival which, I believe, is held during the last week of July. In the city of Kelowna, there is a large park in the middle of downtown where many outdoor concerts are held. Again, it's a matter of timing, but I have seen thousands of people coming out for an outdoor concert.

Just outside the City of Vancouver is another beautiful city called Whiterock. It has a gorgeous stretch of beach lined with shops and tourists. There is a nice little park right next to the pier, complete with a small stage. I'm not sure what the permit requirements are, but I have seen performers there in the past. The crowds are massive all day long at this beach and the atmoshpere is very festive. This should be a definite must.

Hope that helps.
Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks for your TIPS, keep it coming.
Mario Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2713 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-05-19 09:59, magicman845 wrote:
One of the really popular spots for busking is Granville Island, since lots of tourists go there. A permit system does exist and currently, there are only 2 magicians performing there. The long time magician is Ambrose and he is VERY protective of his territory and what he considers to be his "exclusive right" to perform the cups and balls.

Hope that helps.
Kent

Any details on the permit system? What's required? How much? That sort of thing. (I'm never going to be in Canada... I'm just curious.)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
187 Posts

Profile of R Don
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2713 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They asked Jeff Sheridan once if he wanted busking to be legitimized and accepted by the city legislature. He said no, they would start licensing it and limiting it and putting all sorts of controls over it. In some cases, it seems like they're trying to drive performers out while claiming to be opening opportunities!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
R Donnelly
Thank you.
Mario

Appended: Posted: Jun 7, 2005 7:05pm
Hi All
As you have asked, I am now in Vancouver and I just picked up my Buskers pass for Granville Island. I will be testing the warters shortly.
Thanks
Mario
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in BC Canada (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL