The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Countdown Force (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Have you heard of this? Here is the work:

You write a prediction and place it on the table in full view. Then you hand someone a deck of cards. They shuffle and you explain that they will deal any number of cards to the table, but the cards they deal will be the cards that are used. They deal say, 10 cards. You discard the other 42. You then hand the 10 cards to someone else, and have them deal some cards, and again the cards they deal are the cards we use. they deal say 6 cards. you discard the other 4. then hand the 6 cards to someone else. They deal only 1 card. So from a deck of 52 different cards, we have narrowed the choices down to 1 card. Say the 8 of hearts. You then turn over your prediction and it reads, 8 of hearts.

Have any of you heard of forcing a card like this?

Chad

Just wondering, as I dreamed I did this last night. I got up this morning and tried it out. It works perfectly. Smile
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Yes.

And so has anyone who has seen Ricky Jay do his full-length evening show.

It's a standard force.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Back-BrKR
View Profile
New user
San Diego, CA
76 Posts

Profile of Back-BrKR
Sound similar to the 10-20 Count Force in Mark Wilson's Complete Course, but with additional assistants.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I never tried this but I like it.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Talking about forces, I saw a Tvprogra, which has been broadcasted in the UK. I think it was called something like "the greatest magictricks in the universe...ever". There was a guy, dark, curly hair, can't remember his name. Anyway, according to some friends this is just a bluff, otherwise, he's force is in my opinion phenomenol. He lets a girl select a deck, he has about 20 decks, she opens it and then mixes the deck. Finally she deals one card at a time, she stops at, let's say 23, she looks at it and then puts it back in the deck. After a while she is taken on a little cruise in a helicopter, her card is cut out in a big cornfield I think. (I don't think it's a OWF deck, I reccon I saw the deck face up for a few seconds). What do you think? :O
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
When I first read this I must have read it wrong.
I thought I figured it out but was wrong.
"They shuffle" and "cards dealt are used".
Regular deck?
Baffling!
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
From the way it is written, it does seem baffling. Fechter had an effect where a card was first selected and returned, and then the spectator would count down to any place they wanted and stop. The card would be the selection. The magician did not touch the cards at any time after the spectator took the deck. It works, most of the time. I was wondering if this was similar.
Chris
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
Quote:
On 2005-01-13 12:58, MagicKim wrote:
Talking about forces, I saw a Tvprogra, which has been broadcasted in the UK. What do you think? :O

I think that was Pete Firman (?) of Monkey Magic (a channel 5 UK magic programme) fame. It was indeed a cool force and an even cooler revelation. Don't think it was a OWD as there was about twenty wrapped decks from several different manufacturers to choose from. Or it might have been, just quite tricky to organise.

Great expression on her face, when she saw the cornfield from the helicopter where she had been sitting 5 minutes before choosing the card.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Itwas Pete from Monkey magic,but as with anything on TV you can't rely on your own knowledge as it could just be an edit or something.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Yeah, it was really great, would be nice to know that force if it's real Smile
Aerie24
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aerie24
If, instead of dealing cards on the table cards are touched in a spread and outjogged, you can use Vernon's additions. I think Aldo Colombini explains it in "Mamma mia", or perhaps Petter Duffie is the author, cannot remember exactly.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I know this post has all but died but though you may be interested in this. I can't work it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsfD-dpFz40&NR=1
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Thanks Walsall for posting it!!! It is a great effect.

Marc
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
A simpler approch that I find very effective is sal piccate's(sp?) Stop!

you just slowly start dealing cards then ask them to say stop works great its never missed for me so far, he showed the idea to me a few weeks ago and its on one of his dvd's
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4459 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Pete Firman just paid a farmer for us of all his fields, and so had an out for each card, 52 fields, 52 cards
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Christopher, I think one field is more than enough, you don't need 52, you don't need to force a card, isn't that wonderful??? And you don't need a tractor either!!!! At least not during the effect Smile

Marc
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1744 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2007-05-16 15:21, Joshua Barrett wrote:
A simpler approch that I find very effective is sal piccate's(sp?) Stop!

you just slowly start dealing cards then ask them to say stop works great its never missed for me so far, he showed the idea to me a few weeks ago and its on one of his dvd's

This is in Hugard & Braue's Expert Card Technique, no? Or possibly the Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks. ANyway, the effect is pretty much the same, although it's a reveal rather than a force.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
In H&B Expert Card Technique, Chapter 9th Mental Discoveries, Psychic stop!, but it's not the same.

You could use a one way deck Smile but she could not deal face up as she does Smile

Marc
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I would imagine the Stop! concept dates back further than that even...i recall Vernon mentioning it on Revelations (forcing someone to stop at a certain place while dealing with his gaze, voice, etc), something similar is mentioned in Expert At the Card Table, I believe, and it is mentioned in Hofzinser too (whatever that trick is called with the 10's). And someone else probably did it before them...
tjo'
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Onway Forcing Deck mentioned by marc_carrion-san seems to be only possible solution for the exact effect Chad Sanborn-san explained in the initial post.

If he had other method, the explanation of the effect was not 100% correct.

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Countdown Force (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL