The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Floating Zombie Ball (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicsarge
View Profile
New user
Northamptonshire, Great Britain
79 Posts

Profile of magicsarge
Hi everyone, so I've got this new zombie ball, and I think I would really like to get to grips with it, so I'm looking for instructional dvd's.
Any pointers as to which ones to buy would be great.
Thanks
Chris Toomey
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
56 Posts

Profile of Chris Toomey
Although its not a dvd, I would very very highly reccomend picking up the second Book of Wonder by Tommy Wonder. Not only are both of these books some of the best in all of magic literature, the second contains a spectacular essay on both the mechanics of the zombie gimmick, and an even better one on the psychology of presenting it. It is much more than a listing of different moves, but if the advice given by Mr. Wonder is followed, it can take this trick to the point of being something your audience will talk about. With this essay, and a good amount of practice time, you will be able to create a beutiful routine. Good luck.

Chris Toomey
gumbimagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Too busy performing to have more than
313 Posts

Profile of gumbimagic
Jeff McBride on stage Vol.3 has Jeff doing Zombie. Tim Wright has a DVD also. Jeff's Routine is more erie. Tim's is more comedy. Both DVD's have good material, although I prefer the style of Jeff a little better, less comedy.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I'll second the above!!!

They both cover all aspects of zombie routine, moves ,cloths etc

Can pick them up on Auction sites for reasonable prices now!!

Highly recommended.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Tommy Wonder's essay on how to perform the Zombie is great, but I'm not sure it's worth the price of the book. The second chapter on the zombie is on Tommy's specially constructed zombie ball and gimmick.

I'm haven't seen any of the DVDs that deal with the original effect as used by Neil Foster, but I do know a couple of books that should be in every Zombie performer's library.

1) Al Schneider on Zombie: probably the best book out today.
2) Zombie the Floating Ball: Lewis Ganson Teach-In Series.
3) Further Tips on the Zombie: Joe Karson. This comes highly recommended, but for my money it was interesting from a historical perspective, but not much could be used that wasn't in Al's book as far as actual performance tips.
Coram Deo
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Tim Wright has a great Zombie video "Now On DVD" which is very helpful for the basics on the classic Zombie. Also, has a clip of Neil Foster doing the zombie, as well as the creator of the effect Joe Karson.

Kregg
POOF!
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hey Sarge,
I would recommend Jeff McBride Magic On Stage video with a lengthy sequence on zombie moves and technique, Tim Wright's zombie video is very nice and (in my opinion) the "must see" on zombie is on Tommy Wonder's "Visions of Wonder" dvd. Written material includes the Schnieder book and Tommy Wonder book as well as the essay on animation movement published in a small book called "One" back in the early 80's. Learning zombie is a great ride, or should I say "float". Good luck.

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Tim Wright has some great work on Zombie!

Take a look at Losander's approach to it, on DVD. The gimmick that he uses is excellent! I wish those were around back when I bought my Zombie.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I agree

Losanders zombie is excellent-definetly worth pursuing!!
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
I have only McBrides DVD and I advice it to everyone. Very good information there and much more than only zombie
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Whatever you do, do it well. There's nothing worse than a poorly-done zombie routine.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Pavel
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Pavel
Zombie ball is a reallywonderfull routined trick in good performance. You need to give it a lot of practice and then begin to practice again, that's the rule. If you will do the trick well, it will be awesome.
"Truth without Magic does not exist" J.Faulz
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 23:42, Bill Ligon wrote:
Whatever you do, do it well. There's nothing worse than a poorly-done zombie routine.

No question, Bill. Most routines are TOO LONG! A few peeks and moves, up and under...DONE! No use testing fate. It's too easy to "show off your moves" with this thing. After twenty-eight years, most of my mistakes were "too many moves"...

Remember, the audience is FURIOUSLY trying to figure this out while watching you. Some people can "connect the dots", so to speak, and figure it out. Engineers and people who do geometry in their head usually draw the correct conclusion. Experience has taught me this.

As I usually say about this sort of thing, "Brief and exciting, short and sweet!"

Cheers!

Doug
kerdunge
View Profile
New user
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
14 Posts

Profile of kerdunge
I always thought it was very transparent as to how the Zombie effect was done.
Dispite this I've seen some very good presentations of the effect. Most recently by Al Schneider who's presentation was very classical. I saw Dixie Dooley including a very nice version in his Voodo Show in Vagas, He did not use the tradional gimic and was very funny. I also have a video clip of a female commedian doing the Zombie with a carrot. it kept going up her nose, again very funny. I'm still working on my routine using a 12" fashion doll that switches into a classic G.I joe action figure. I hope when I've got the routine down that it plays as funny as I think it will and that my methodes are not too transparent.
The World's most Extra-Ordinary magician
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
IMHO as soon as you can, try to find something else to use the same principle on. Lance Burton would not have won FISM if he showed up and did it with the silver ball. Using a birdcage made all the difference in the world for his act.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
IMHO
Just a few comments about the Zombie.
FIrst, although items other than the ball are cute, there is a bit of a technical problem. The good part about the ball is that the audience does not know it is rotating. I depend upon this fact to really animate the ball. The ball always rotates as it moves. When other objects are used the rotation is apparent giving the audience a chance to connect the dots. This can be solved with mechanical devices but I have not looked into that.

Maybe there is room for a new product??????

Something that was very wanting in other books about Zombie was the idea that "When you move the ball doesn't and when the ball moves you don't." This is very significant and was the principle that Losander and Tommy Wonder capitalized on in their mechanical versions. Tommy has told me personally and in writing elsewhere that this bit if data from me was what inspired all his work with Zombie methods. I am honored.

However, I am somewhat put out when they claim that their devices improve or are better than "Other" methods. Im my opinion, useing the mechanical devices limits the motion of the floating object. In my routine the ball adopts a devious personality that would not be possible with these "superior" mechanics. Don't get me wrong. Those mechanics are very good looking. It is just that I don't see the significant improvement. And as I said I take a bit of offense when they say otherwise.

With a standard Zombie I do it close-up and surrounded.

One last note. The Zombie is the toughest trick I have mastered. Note that I cannot do bottom deals and second deals. To me those are impossible.

Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
thegreatgeorgio
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of thegreatgeorgio
Quote:
On 2005-06-11 23:42, Bill Ligon wrote:

I agree!

George
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Zombie is one of those effects in magic that look truly magical, when done well of course. It also affords the smart magician to really put some personality into the orb and demonstate a relationship much as the venerable Mr. Marshall did with a pair of white gloves.

I have put a good deal of effort into the trick and have never achieved a level where I would even consider doing it for an audience. I did see it done for laughs once by a comedian who called it the mysterious toilet ball float. Funny but not magic.

I have had the pleasure of watching Neil Foster's routine, Lance Burtons birdcage,
Norm Neilsens Violin, and Al Schneiders Close Up Zombe. All are different, all are elegant and all are truly magical.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Dear Al,

could you kindly share some tips in regards to performing surrounded ?
Also what is your opinion about Bill Abott s The Thing (which seems to be a safe option for surrounded scenario).
thanks

Quote:
On Jul 14, 2005, Al Schneider wrote:
IMHO
Just a few comments about the Zombie.
FIrst, although items other than the ball are cute, there is a bit of a technical problem. The good part about the ball is that the audience does not know it is rotating. I depend upon this fact to really animate the ball. The ball always rotates as it moves. When other objects are used the rotation is apparent giving the audience a chance to connect the dots. This can be solved with mechanical devices but I have not looked into that.

Maybe there is room for a new product??????

Something that was very wanting in other books about Zombie was the idea that "When you move the ball doesn't and when the ball moves you don't." This is very significant and was the principle that Losander and Tommy Wonder capitalized on in their mechanical versions. Tommy has told me personally and in writing elsewhere that this bit if data from me was what inspired all his work with Zombie methods. I am honored.

However, I am somewhat put out when they claim that their devices improve or are better than "Other" methods. Im my opinion, useing the mechanical devices limits the motion of the floating object. In my routine the ball adopts a devious personality that would not be possible with these "superior" mechanics. Don't get me wrong. Those mechanics are very good looking. It is just that I don't see the significant improvement. And as I said I take a bit of offense when they say otherwise.

With a standard Zombie I do it close-up and surrounded.

One last note. The Zombie is the toughest trick I have mastered. Note that I cannot do bottom deals and second deals. To me those are impossible.

Al Schneider
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Zombira, the new Zombie, but without the cloth, begins at the 1:45 mark, after the traditional Zombie. Is this the kind of thing that you were looking for, Al?

https://youtu.be/3FAjYC0nI0w

www.jimmyfingers.com/products
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Floating Zombie Ball (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL