The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Returning to Magic Again!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Hi, I am thinking about, over the summer, starting up back into the wonderful world of magic. About 2 years ago I was really into it and couldn’t put it down. Then I began to get overwhelmed with it and started to perform less and less. What seemed to turn me off was the nervousness I felt when performing magic and the way I felt when I messed up. This I am sure can be overcome with much practice but there are other reasons that I felt took me away from magic. I couldn’t find very many people who were interested in watching me perform. Even my family seemed uninterested in me doing magic and didn’t much care to watch me perform. Also the busy schedule I have and finding time to practice is very tough. Not only finding the time to practice but also knowing how to practice. Back when I was practicing I think I overwhelmed myself with so many different books that I didn’t know how to properly read or comprehend the material. I would skim through the books and not fully read them. I do really enjoy magic but I need some advice on some of these faults of mine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Justin
"Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
- Dai Vernon
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Justin,

Welcome back!!! There is probably a lot better advice to come from others on this board but I would suggest just taking it easy.

Don't worry about performing for others. Take your time and learn for yourself. If your having fun and enjoying whatever your learning...well...what's wrong with that?

There are plenty of people with different interests in magic. Some historically, others as collectors, still more as hobbyists, most are amateurs, etc...who never, or rarely, perform regularly in public and who just like the art and enjoy the camaraderie with those interested in magic. There is nothing wrong with that. Just find what works for you, take some time to learn it well and have fun!

Best wishes...Mark.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Welcome back Justin.
If I can be of help, please let me know.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
First, you have to become confident in what you do. My experience was that at first nobody was interested in my magic. But after some time, when you have shown that you are a serious magician, they will come and ask.

I very often have the feeling that people who start with magic think that when they have shown one of the "far to often performed tricks" everybody has to come and ask for more. Wrong, they don't treat you serious, because you haven't treated magic serious. Only because you can perform some tricks means that you are a serious magician.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Justin,
First don't feel performance anxiety. This comes in several forms, both normal "stage fright" and an anxiety developed from a feeling that you have to perform. You don't have to perform. I performed for many years, but in recent years simply enjoy doing magic solely for myself. Playing with various effects, seeing how I can improve or change them, what other ways the could be presented, etc. The key is to do what you enjoy doing in a hobby, not trying to encompass every aspect of a hobby. I doubt it is possible to know "all" magic anymore, too many effects, too many areas of specializton, etc. You will enjoy mastering 4 or 6 card tricks better than you will ever enjoy knowing how 50 card tricks are done, same with any other form of magic. Once you have mastered a trick, most of the nervousness in performing it goes away. It is so second nature to you. So simply start by enjoying what you are doing with magic, be it close-up, sleights, parlor, stage, illusions, mentalism, or what ever. Forget the performance anxiety.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Justin, I am only speaking for myself. I perform because I enjoy it. I show tricks at my local church and of course my family and relatives on holidays. If the day should ever come that I stop enjoying it and it becomes a pain, then I know it's time for me to get out of it.
Justin2200
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Justin2200
Hi Justin! My name's Justin too! Eh, yeah sometimes I feel kind of stupid and embarrased when I mess up a trick, but that's just reason enough to practice it more and more until you get it perfect. I always practice a good bit before performing anything for anyone, and then I test them on my friends. If you can get something by your friends you can usually get it by a stranger. My friends are like 90% of the time staring at my hands...But I have even fooled one of my buddies who is also a magician. Anyway, keep practicing!
The Presitidigitationist
JSHEDDY
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSHEDDY
Thanks a lot guys for your help, as it is greatly appreciated. I will talk to you guys soon.

Thank you
Justin
"Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
- Dai Vernon
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
Justin I would say practice by urself and do some tricks for friends.
Will Gordon
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
124 Posts

Profile of Will Gordon
Good for you! I was away from magic for 32 years and have recently returned. What a great feeling!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Returning to Magic Again!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL