The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Qustion about Buying Books at Borders or Amazon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
I everyone, I hope I do not upset anyone with this question. Why is possible to buy all of the Dover (i.e. Bobo Coin Magic) and Karl Fuves (i.e. Self Working) magic books at your local Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstore or online from Amazon but you can not buy the AOA series or any of the Richard Kaufman books their? I know that their is the question of trying to keep the secrets and methods hidden but all of the Hugard books can be bought from these locations. Wouldn't it make sense to help increase sales for those items if they were offered at these locations?
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
It's about what is in the public domain and what is not. The Jean Hugard stuff is (i think) fair game to appear in these stores... only people with a healthy interest in magic to start with are going to go for them.

The problem with making other books available (such as the Arts of Astonishment) is that too much would be in the public domain - literally thousands of magicians, if not more, use routines out of Art of Astonishment on a regular basis... therefore having them more commonly available is a bad idea.

Another reason is just that of difficulty. It would take a pretty persistant beginner if they picked up Richard Kaufman's Collected Works of Derek Dingle and actually learnt something from it that made it worth their while.

That's what I think anyway!

Liam.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Right. Many Dover editions (except for the Fulves "self-Working" series and a few others) are books that have passed the copyright period. Anybody can republish them--they are public domain. The others are targeted at the general public; the beginner.

An author or publisher could certainly choose to put more advanced new books on the market like this as well, but it's generally not done, both to preserve the secrets and because someone with no experience wouldn't understand them anyway--they wouldn't sell well, so the bookstore likely wouldn't carry them.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Scott has the key: the new magic books will take up shelf space and will not sell. Think of how long all those magic books sit on a magic shop shelf before being sold...B&N needs to turn over their stock and current magic books, at current prices, will not sell. Lets say a specific B&N store has 12 magicians within a 20 mile radius. How many books will these 12 buy at B&N? Not enough to keep the subject on the shelf. Most of their books on magic are targeted as being gift items, so their titles have a broader appeal (Self-Working series, etc.). AOA, at AOA prices, will sit on the shelf forever.

At the local Borders and B&N, there are about 20 good books on Card magic, etc...all on the remainder shelf. And they are not moving any too fast, even at $6 and $10 each.

So, the answer to your question has more to do with loot and product turnover than anything else.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
I guess it all comes down to the bottom line. Like Tom said how fast can they turn over inventory. I'm sure even with selling it online via amazon it will still not move fast enough.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Qustion about Buying Books at Borders or Amazon (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL