The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice welcome (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
I'm a beginner to magic, in fact I don't know where and how to start.
I have very specific goals: I don't really like card magic, but i'd like to learn some coin magic, at least some sleights that I can use with many everyday objects like rings and stuff like that. I love cold reading and some mentalism magic. But most of all I like impromptu magic, magic that I can do anytime anywhere without the restrictions of wearing long sleave shirt, gimicked wallet, etc.
What books/tricks/videos can you guys recommend me?
Smile
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
For coin magic check out Michael Ammar's Introduction to Coin Magic DVD. This is an inexpensive DVD that will give you a good start in sleight of hand with coins. Also, you may like Michael's Easy to Master Money Miracles video series. There is some great magic on those tapes. And of course, there is the classic of coin magic - Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book. I carry all of these at my store, so PM or email me and I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
woodmaven
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of woodmaven
I would recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic for starters. This will give you a broad spectrum of magic to choose from and find what types you like.

For what you seem to want, you could also try the book Magic for Dummies. It may seem to be a trivial book, but there is actually quite a collection of good, impromptu effects in there.

- Britt

Smile
Friends are our chosen family.

- Britt -
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic" is a great starting point. Also, Larry Anderson's "Jawdroppers" video series can be a good resource when starting out ( http://www.jawdroppers.com ). Larry was involved in the production of Mark Wilson's book and provides clear instructions without a lot of technical jargon or difficult sleights. There are plenty of other books and videos you may want after these, but these will ease you into magic while providing a pretty good foundation.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I think Now you see it, Now you don't.. by Bill Tarr would be right up your alley.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Absolutely any of the books, etc., mentioned above would be an ideal jumping-in place for the beginning magician.
And, may I add my offering: Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book. Originally written for the lay reader, it provides a solid grounding in the basics, as well as some middling advanced work, but nothing so hard that even I couldn't do it!
My choice: Wilson, Bobo, Lorayne, in that order.
Northst8r
View Profile
New user
Redding, CA
1 Post

Profile of Northst8r
As a beginner, the worst thing you can do is read too many books. I say that because you don't learn magic in the living room. Pick a book, tape, etc. that interests you, learn one effect and show it to everyone who will watch. Then learn another one and try it out. You will find that you will come to like what your audience likes and that what you dislike in print may become your favorite effect.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
Thanks for all the advices.
Now...I searched on amazon.co.uk for the books and a question arise:
Is there a difference between Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic?

and another one: what are the best online magic shops in europe? Because I live in Portugal and ordering from the US might take some long time
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Hi In answer to your question re the Mark Wilson books i dont think there is too much as i have them both.The cyclopedia is the pocket size book with less effects than the complete course,i would recommend the complete course as the book is bigger and easier to read and has more effects but use whichever of the two you can get hold of..you will not regret it.
best Trevor
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Actually, there is only one small difference between the two Mark Wilson books (It took me quite a while to figure it out). The small book is lacking the chapter on multiplying balls. Other than that, I think the books are identical.

Oh, there is one other important difference. The bigger book will stay open when you lay it on a table. This is very important when you are learning an effect and need the use of your hands! Smile

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Re;
"and another one: what are the best online magic shops in europe? Because I live in Portugal and ordering from the US might take some long time"

If things are shipped by air it probably will not make much difference time wise whether ordered in the USA or Europe.Maybe a couple of days, sometimes less. I wouldn't worry about it. Surface is a different matter.

Paul.
Tolga Ozuygur
View Profile
New user
Istanbul / Turkey
60 Posts

Profile of Tolga Ozuygur
I can recommend "Willane's Complete methods of miracles" from Davenport's in London. My Mentor Tora showed it to me and he prepares his manipulation lessons mainly from there. It is exactly what you have wanted. Many everyday objects and detailed sleights etc.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
ActuariaLug
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ActuariaLug
If you're interested in coins, I rather like David Roth's Expert Coin Magic video, Vol. 1 "Basic Coin Magic." I think Roth makes it really easy to watch and learn the basic coin sleights.

Nothing on the video requires gimmicked coins. And I think you mentioned a desire to be able to do things on the fly.
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
Since you mentioned you are inclined towards impromptu magic, I thought it would be worth mentioning Gregory Wilson's "On the Spot" video. If you do a Café search you will see some good comments on this one. I recently purchaced it and am very pleased with it.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
thank you all for your advices.
the reason I prefer impromptu magic is because I don't wish to follow a magician carrer (at least for now), it's just for entertaining some friends, anytime anywhere they ask me to do some magic. I can't hang around with all the magic stuff with me all the time Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice welcome (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL