The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Get the most out of each trick. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
If you're like me you perform some tricks that require you to stock up on certain props in order to perform them. For example if you perform the floating rose you'll need some flash paper. You might loose your sponge balls so you need to pick some up from time to time to replace what you lost.

I was recently booked to do a show at the last minute. They contacted me the day before the event they wanted me to perform in. They knew it was short notice so they doubted I would do it but they where very nice when they asked and I didn't have any plans. So I took the job.

I had some problems getting the props I needed for this show. No place in the area had flash paper, I do an act with balloons and the area was dry of them as well. I basically couldn't do some of my strongest acts because I didn't have the props to do them. So I had to work out an act with what I had to fill a half hour platform show.

I figured I'd share the solution to this kind of problem because some of you might find yourself in a similar situation someday. Not only that, this lesson will help with every show you do.

The solution is actually pretty simple. What you need to do is get the most out of every routine you perform. Stretch it by making it more entertaining and interactive. Every trick or routine can have more flesh added to it. Your attitude and presentation alone can turn a 5 minute trick into a 10 minute one by interacting with your audience and adding a few "Bits of business" here and there.

Let me share an example of what I mean by getting the most out each trick. I'll use a commonly known trick to help explain.

EFFECT:

The magician pulls out a deck of cards and announces that in this deck he made a prediction by reversing one card. A spectator is asked to name any card in the deck. They name the 3 of hearts. So the magicians removes the deck from the box and looks for the reversed card. It's found to be the 3 of hearts.

I'm sure you all this is describing the Invisible Pack. The trick as described above is actually a very strong trick as it is. But it can be stretched into so much more with a different presentation and a few bits of entertainment thrown in.

Here's another way to present that same trick. Many magicians use this presentation and some of these lines.

EFFECT:

The magician displays an invisible deck in his hand (Hand is actually empty but mimes holding a deck of cards). A spectator is asked to catch the invisible deck. The spectator mimes this action.

The spectator is asked to shuffle the deck. When he starts to shuffle the magicians says, "Wait, you forgot to remove them from the box." The spectator mimes removing the deck from the box and starts to shuffle. He's then asked to have another audience member select a card from the invisible deck. When the card is selected the magician says, "Don't let me see the card."

The spectator is asked to put their card back in the deck upside down. Then they are asked to put the deck back in the box and toss them back to the magician. When the magician catches the deck they become visible (He produced a deck of cards).

A few more jokes can be made then the name of the selected card is announced. The magician removes the deck from the box. Finds the reversed card and it matches the one the spectator announced.

I know that effect is nothing new to most of you but it really demonstrates how a trick can be stretched. instead of doing 10 tricks in a half hour show you can now fill that time with 3 or 4 good and entertaining routines.

Remember it's not the number of tricks you do that'll entertain your audiences. It's the entertainment value of the entire show that's more important.

There's another benefit of having fewer tricks in a show. If you think about any magic act you've seen. It doesn't matter if it's live or on TV. Only a hand full of the tricks they do really stick out in your memory of that act. They might have done 10 tricks but people will only talk about a few of them later. So if you only do 4 or 5 tricks in your act then they'll be more likely to remember your entire act and that's saying something.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Great post Ron. Know what you mean, I've been there before myself, and ur right you can stretch an effect better than you think you can. It helps to play with ur effects from time to time, just for that purpose. I've done shows in the past when about half way through my set (generally 20 min) someone sends me word that they need me to stretch to cover for something. Well if you walked on with only 3 or 4 effects, you don't have time to run off stage and run through ur gear to pull out a few more, you have to make do with what you have. I have long and short versions of most of my effects and have had for years. It is certainly a good point for a beginner to think about. I've added to effects by simply throwing a bit of comedy banter into them. Like the vanishing invisible coin, or talking about psych powers, mind reading, etc, then ask a spectator to visualize a card, think about it, finally I pull up the top card and hold it up where the audience and spectator can't see it and say "what was ur card?" He names it, and if I by accident had the card I take a bow, if it is not his card, I say " oops! Sorry actually it is the ____ of _____. You really need to practice that one more before doing it in front of an audience, better luck next time. I've stretched that bit into several minutes and it always gets a laugh. You're out there to entertain, not just do tricks.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I had the pleasure of seeing Stan Allen perform for the first time this past weekend. He got a good solid ten or twelve minutes out of a single card revelation.
A good strong professional stage routine built around presentation instead of effect.
Good magic is 10% effect and 90% presentation.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Excellent post Ron. May I recommend to everyone to read the fantastic, fantastic, fantastic books of magic by Michael Close, "Workers"? The Essays in Vol.3 cover exactly what you are talking about, and the routines are among the best I have ever heard of. Well thought through.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
I learned a lot along these lines by reading "Magic and Showmanship" by Henning Nelms. He makes a distinction between performing and simply doing tricks. Some of the book is a bit dated, but overall it really changed my approach to putting together an entire routine.

My one nit-pick about the original post is that I'm not sure I would call it "stretching". I think the 2nd description of the Inivisible Deck is stronger whether or not you fell compelled to stretch the trick out. I think more magicians should be performing along the lines of the 2nd approach all the time.

Eric.
Ednigma
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ednigma
Nuggets of wisdom...I got a lot from your post,Ron.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Another superb post Mr Jaxon I love reading your posts they are always well thought out
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Be generous. GIVE the audience something to remember. Another great topic presented by Jaxon.
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Jaxon, another inspiring post. Thanks.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Excellent post Ron. Magic is entertainment (hopefully).
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Quote:
On 2005-05-10 15:30, Jaxon wrote:
Only a hand full of the tricks they do really stick out in your memory of that act.

I don't quite agree on this one, but otherwise; good posting!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Get the most out of each trick. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL